[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Its not the application of new material i am worried about - how do i clean the old paste from my CPU ?

Use something alcohol based cleaning liquid or surgical spirits.

In a pinch Rum, Vodka, Whiskey can be used as well. Cheerio!

Use something alcohol based cleaning liquid or surgical spirits.

In a pinch Rum, Vodka, Whiskey can be used as well. Cheerio!

Now we are talking - enough of Vodka / whiskey at home :P

So i dont need to go buy some cleaning liquid right ?

So i dont need to go buy some cleaning liquid right ?

Buy a large bottle and keep it handy.

Not really worth putting good alcohol onto PC components, only in emergency use above mentioned stuff or aftershave.

Sent from my ST27i

Buy a large bottle and keep it handy.

Not really worth putting good alcohol onto PC components, only in emergency use above mentioned stuff or aftershave.

It doesn't take much alcohol to clear off the old paste. I used Vodka, no regrets.

Hi guys,

I am looking for a hdmi female to dvi male with 3.5mm audio jack

Like the one shown in this video.

Or any pci adapter which provides the ability to add hdmi-in to PC or something like that.

Looking to connect ps4 to monitor.

My monitor has two dvi ports.

Not looking to buy new monitor

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

found a few , buy none with similar audio jack . I want the one with audio jack

found one with vga not dvi.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-Converter-Adaptor-Cable-With-Audio-Stereo-SounAUX-Cable-Inbuilt-Chip-/261478900328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3ce15b6268&_uhb=1

Edited by mafia97

Alpha would the rig we discussed be cheaper over at Nehru place? I'm asking because i would be coming to Delhi on the 17nth. But that also means 17 days more of a wait for me. is it worth it?

If theres some problem with any parts, you'd have to come visit Delhi again. I'm not sure if it will be viable.

Yes, local purchase is always going to be cheaper.

If theres some problem with any parts, you'd have to come visit Delhi again. I'm not sure if it will be viable.

Even if I buy branded stuff from gigabyte/ Saphire? Shouldn't they have RMA centers across the country?

Either way thats not a very big problem for me as my dad goes to Delhi pretty often, But how much saving can I expect realistically?

Nothing so. You just need to deliver the faulty component(s) to the local authorised collection / service point.

Either way thats not a very big problem for me as my dad goes to Delhi pretty often, But how much saving can I expect realistically?

Depending from component to component, between ~500/- -->3000/- plus.

ok here is a weird problem i have been facing since quite a while...a lot of games on my PC end up with prolonged/weird texture popins and there is absolutely no indication when/why it may happen....has happened with AC-3; now with tomb raider (2013) and sometimes even with LoS 2 ! Have updated the drivers for my gtx 680 but to no avail....any help would be appreciated :(

^ What are the drivers you are running on, did you do a clean install whilst updating them?

What settings you playing the game on, try to tweak and change them because I have read that the nVidia drivers have had issues with Assassin's Creed III.

i dont think intel is better for gaming , amd for cpu/gpu looks promising @alpha17 what do u say bout this ?

I don't see any difference save the fact that Intel and AMD processor prices have almost tied in the mid-range arena.

You will spend roughly the same amount of money to set-up an AMD FX-8*** series processor with a compatible FX990 / 970 chipset based motherboard, as you would on a Intel Core i5 processor and motherboard (H87 / H97 / B85 chipset).

So what are the real advantages you get over Intel if you go with AMD,

• over-clocking support
  • more physical 'cores' than comparable Intel processors

On the other hand, what do you get if you pick up Intel, you get,

• better efficiency (on load and idle)
  • better memory controller interface
  • same if not better performance than comparable AMD processors
  • on CPU die integrated GPU in-case your graphic card is down / you have not purchased one

In gaming these differences don't manifest themselves all the time because if you are gaming anywhere over 1280 x720 resolution, you are transferring the onus to the GPU and the CPU just has to have enough grunt to keep the process fed and running smoothly.

AMD FX-8350 vs. Intel Core i5 4670

Depending on this console generations maturity though, we might see multi-core optimisation in game-code in the coming years, although as of now, it has yet to be felt.

So at the end of the day the AMD / Intel debate boils down to what your budget allows you and whether you will constantly be utilising the extra multi-core processing capability of the latter.

Edited by ALPHA17

This might be hard to answer but can anyone recommend a HTPC case that can fit a regular sized PC (normal sized mobo) with a small ish GPU (Nvidia 650) that is available locally, preferably in Nehru Place?

Not too expensive though.

Failing that, any other case that wont look butt ugly sitting under the TV. Horizontally?

EDIT Also if it comes with its own PSU even better.

Edited by Aftrunner

This might be hard to answer but can anyone recommend a HTPC case that can fit a regular sized PC (normal sized mobo) with a small ish GPU (Nvidia 650) that is available locally, preferably in Nehru Place?

Not too expensive though.

Failing that, any other case that wont look butt ugly sitting under the TV. Horizontally?

EDIT Also if it comes with its own PSU even better.

You have a µATX motherboard, right?

I do not think any HTPC cases are available in Delhi that can fit one, contact Slacker, he was trying to sell a case. He might still have it. SilverStone Sugo S02 if I am not wrong.

You can look at the Cooler Master N200, you can place it lying down, the only problem being that it is a standard vertical mini-tower so you cannot change the orientation of the optical drive.