[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Huh? H87M-E has PCI express slot 3.0/2.0.

So it will work on my mbo right.....but in that case that 4 small things coming from GFX card two will remain out of the slot right...if i insert it.

Also one more thing..

I have Corsair ram 4gb 1600 mghz...but i just checked cpuz to find the name of my motherboard... i noticed this it says max bandwith 667mghz....it should say 1600mghz

gzbGh3u.jpg

Yes, it's 100% compatible.

What four small things?

sTnvYWI.jpg

I have Corsair ram 4gb 1600 mghz...but i just checked cpuz to find the name of my motherboard... i noticed this it says max bandwith 667mghz....it should say 1600mghz

SPD is serial presence detect. It shows the default settings for the RAM module (set by the manufacturer) and not all manufactures use correct or complete SPD tables.

Nothing to worry.

Edited by Heaven Angel
  • Like 1

^ That is a plastic cover on the graphic card (in image), remove that and you are good to install that in any motherboard with a PCIe slot.

^ What do you want to do with the laptop?

The usual stuff....surfing, movies, music, office work, light gaming etc

Also battery backup should be decent... Have a Sony laptop which discharges within 2 hrs and heats up a lot, which is very frustrating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks a lot joe. I was looking at the slot thing below instead of the one you pointed out.

Much relief .

You are looking at the Crossfire slots.

RAM - XMP says 800Mhz so it is 1600 RAM, you may need to enable the XMP profile, though.

The usual stuff....surfing, movies, music, office work, light gaming etc

Also battery backup should be decent... Have a Sony laptop which discharges within 2 hrs and heats up a lot, which is very frustrating

Check the following laptops, do a little research on them before taking the plunge.

A laptop capable of gaming at that price point will have to compromise on the battery aspect.

You don't get any OS on the laptop and the graphic card is very basic, would not be able to play any recent titles. And older ones will have to be toned down.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply Alpha...

What if I leave aside the gaming aspect....just good speed, less heating and decent battery backup. Do I have better options then, and can you suggest something for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the reply Alpha.

What if I leave aside the gaming aspect....just good speed, less heating and decent battery backup. Do I have better options then, and can you suggest something for that.

Just get a 4th generation Core i5 / i3 based laptop, they are the most efficient processors in that price range and decently peppy too.

You can get a laptop with a discrete GPU but would have to configure that to prevent it being used in any situation apart from gaming / other intensive tasks.

Alpha I found a kinda old article, does this covers what you meant by Haswell refresh CPU's??

Apologies if already covered..

This refers to Haswell-E lineup which is a refresh of the Sandy / Ivy - E lineup. This is Socket 2011 - focussed on more workstation / enthusiast level systems. More mainstream lineup is the LGA 1150 lineup - the Haswell refresh is the Devil Canyon's procs - 4690K / 4790K etc

• Like 1

Alpha I founda kinda old article, does this covers what you meant by Haswell refresh CPU's??

The fourth generation of Intel Core series processor was code-named 'Haswell', Intel follows a tick-tock update model. A tick is a die-shrink (stepping down to a smaller node of production), and a tock introduces a new form of architecture. This was introduced in 2006, since then Intel has followed this system of releases.

So Haswell refresh CPU's are the same thing as the current models on market just that over-time the process has matured along with better yields of chips, so Intel starts to give them incremental boosts. So for the same price as earlier you get a slightly faster processor.

The real upgrade to the refresh though is the Devil's Canyon processor which will come with better thermals, improved over-clocking potential et al. The only downside is that you got to get a Z97 board to use them to their full potential.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. -- Yes, this is the reason I asked you to hold onto your money till September -->October.

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

The fourth generation of Intel Core series processor was code-named 'Haswell', Intel follows a tick-tock update model. A tick is a die-shrink (stepping down to a smaller node of production), and a tock introduces a new form of architecture. This was introduced in 2006, since then Intel has followed this system of releases.

So Haswell refresh CPU's are the same thing as the current models on market just that over-time the process has matured along with better yields of chips, so Intel starts to give them incremental boosts. So for the same price as earlier you get a slightly faster processor.

The real upgrade to the refresh though is the Devil's Canyon processor which will come with better thermals, improved over-clocking potential et al. The only downside is that you got to get a Z97 board to use them to their full potential.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

P.S. -- Yes, this is the reason I asked you to hold onto your money till September -->October.

If I was looking to upgrade, I would hold on till Broadwell -Devil's Canyon is really tasty only if you want to overclock a lot ( Not saying its bad though - i7-4790K looks tempting). And you don't need Z97 for it - most Z87 boards will get firmware updates to support this.

Thanks that explained quite a lot :cheers:

But which one did you meant by 'this' at the end, DC?

I wonder how DDR 4 will be priced here looking at current prices of DDR3. Folks in the comments section seems quite excited by the potential boost though.

DDR4 prices will be high initially for sure - they will come down only after a year or so. Won't make a lot of sense to go for it unless you do a lot of video/photo editing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk