[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

I need some help please.

So I had an old external HDD 1TB that wasn't working. So I removed it out of the case and connected it directly as an internal. It worked fine for about a month. In between it just stopped appearing in windows explorer. I was busy and couldn't get around to checking what was wrong for a long time. I thought it was a simple loose connection. Today I checked and realized it wasn't..

I had a lot of info on the drive. Lots of backups, movies,tv, games, etc. It was about 60% - 70% full of stuff.

This is what it shows in disk management "Disk 1" is the concerned drive. Ignore the other two rows.

http://i.imgur.com/s9VMx3S.png

It's showing all unallocated except for one part. But there's no way to open that part. This is what it shows on right click.

http://i.imgur.com/MKV9Rt2.png

Anyone have any idea about this? Is all my data gone?

The thing is I can't pin point exactly when my drive stopped showing up. In the middle I reinstalled Windows thrice. And then there was the anniversary update. One of those things might have affected the drive.

Edited by dylanjosh

Seems like a drive controller issue.

You will have to go to a proper data recovery centre and have them give it a thorough look through. Do not try to format any partitions that will only make the recovery process more painful.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Any Mac experts here ?
My mac stopped booting few days back. Used to get stuck in loading screen.
Tried repair disk, but was not useful.

Finally got a copy of os from a friend and tried to install new copy of os.
But getting the errors in the image below and installation fails. Is the HDD kaput ?

IMG_3788_zpscqfyd6cm.jpg

Can someone please suggest me what i should do to fix this ?

Any Mac experts here ?

My mac stopped booting few days back. Used to get stuck in loading screen.

Tried repair disk, but was not useful.

Finally got a copy of os from a friend and tried to install new copy of os.

But getting the errors in the image below and installation fails. Is the HDD kaput ?

Can someone please suggest me what i should do to fix this ?

I'm no expert but it sure looks like HDD Issue.

• Like 1

Friends my laptop was recently locked due to cerber ransomware. And the irony is the my engineer was trying to fix my laptop when this happened. It was his mistake. He disabled my AV because my av was repeatedly finding virus on his pendrive which had necessary files to activate license on replaced hardware. But he couldn't do it. So he asked his supervisor for help. So he installed Aammy. The moment supervisor connected my laptop remotely the ransomware got into my system. What to do? I had a backup of my OS made by ASUS Backtrakr. However I have already reset my laptop thrice. Will it affect my HDD. I tried Trend Micro decrypt Ransomware but dint work. I Have to reset. Also after reset all my drives i will be safe right? Also any way of protecting myself in the future? I am looking for WinAntiRansomware/Emisoft Anti Malware/Hitman Pro.

Friends my laptop was recently locked due to cerber ransomware. And the irony is the my engineer was trying to fix my laptop when this happened. It was his mistake. He disabled my AV because my av was repeatedly finding virus on his pendrive which had necessary files to activate license on replaced hardware. But he couldn't do it. So he asked his supervisor for help. So he installed Aammy. The moment supervisor connected my laptop remotely the ransomware got into my system. What to do? I had a backup of my OS made by ASUS Backtrakr. However I have already reset my laptop thrice. Will it affect my HDD. I tried Trend Micro decrypt Ransomware but dint work. I Have to reset. Also after reset all my drives i will be safe right? Also any way of protecting myself in the future? I am looking for WinAntiRansomware/Emisoft Anti Malware/Hitman Pro.

Reset doesnt affect the life of your HDD. And if you do the "Remove everything" option, then it will basically do what it says, including removing the ransomware.

Personally I would just nuke it from the orbit. Get a Windows bootable drive, format the HDD and start again.

FWIW, ransomware isnt that difficult to clean up. You can go into Safe mode and run Malwarebytes followed by Hitman pro. It will almost certainly take care of the problem. Often a system restore followed by Malwarebytes and Hitman pro will do the trick as well.

If its crypto locker or one of those encrypt your file ransomeware, say goodbye to all your personal data though.

Your engineer sounds like a f**king idiot though.

• Like 1

Can the GTX 1060 3gb survive 3-4 years of 'next gen' games on 900p? :fear1: Med-high settings needed and my friend has Corsair VS550 PSU.

6GB lelo.

1060 will do games at 1080p for 3 years atleast

then upgrade or drop settings