[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

5 hours ago, shadow storm said:

I recently bought boat rockerz 600  headphones, but as soon as i connected to the PC Bluetooth mode, There was a lag also if i keep it more than a few meters away it doesn't  work. Any fix or suggestion? Woudl really appreciate it thank you.

It's same with any Bluetooth device connected to PC. You need a new/better Bluetooth dongle and make sure to connect it to the front USB.

It's same with any Bluetooth device connected to PC. You need a new/better Bluetooth dongle and make sure to connect it to the front USB.

Ok you mean by front as close to the headphones (less distance between the dongle and headphone) and can you recommend a decent dongle ?

12 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Yes, that should help to some extent. They are more suited for portable media. 

Look for any decent Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. It will offer pairing range up to 30/300 feet. Try Plugable or similar (ASUS/Avantree/Kinivo/etc). 

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0739XMF8J/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0739XMF8J&pd_rd_r=J7JSJJACF3CBTEF2ASB0&pd_rd_w=ZSFZu&pd_rd_wg=iqAR3&pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL5WCBF&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=5STTVJ76ERV3S33R39Z9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2a1cc6da-e857-48b9-afc7-813e8aacf476&pf_rd_i=desktop

This is the one i bought (are they decent ?), Ill try reducing the distance. I have setup my pc and tv in such a way that they are in different rooms. Will try usb which are near the tv thank you 

^ There are so many H81 boards available. Pick a decent one up. 

H81 is for haswell mine is Sandy Bridge which uses H61 chipset. Anyway i bought a used H61 mobo from lamington road and got it installed, thankfully windows reinstall wasn't needed.
However one of the cpu fan headers is broken so the cooler isn't sitting flush with the cpu due to which the idle temp of the cpu is between 60-70.
So i will need to buy a new cpu cooler as well.
Cost quoted to me for the basic intel cpu cooler is 400 so will get that done soon. Because i won't be able to play games until the new cooler is installed.

^ Buy something more long term then. Intel stock coolers are sh*t and you cannot use them if you upgrade later. Get something like a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or such. 

Hello,

1. I am thinking of updating my 10 year old desktop... I am completely unaware of the hardware that's available these days. I do not have a budget in mind at this time. 

Uses for the desktop:

• Media Server
  • Downloads
  • Data Storage
  • Maybe play some video games

2. I need a good wireless keyboard and mouse which has capabilities of switching between different computers. 

I was looking at Logitech MX Master 2S. It does not come in a combo, and i don't see any decent option of a standalone keyboard. 

3. UPS

Devices that will be plugged in:

• new desktop PC
  • Monitor ( current one is ASUS MK241).
  • DVR & power supply to CCTV cameras.
  • 2 Routers 

Another UPS which have following devices connected to it:

• PS4 OG or Pro( in the near future)
  • Tata Sky STB
  • Logitech z5500 
  • Panasonic VT20 50" plasma TV

4. A New monitor if my current one is indeed dying. I have been observing weird flickering and some other issues. Not sure if it is a problem with the graphics card or the monitor itself.

Requirements/Uses:

• big screen (At least 24")
  • multiple input options (HDMI, DVI, etc) ( I don't know if any monitors comes with multiple HDMI ports but if they do, that'll be a Plus)
  • will be used as a work monitor as well, so i will need to connect/disconnect my work laptop to it.   

Suggestions welcome. 

Edited by ayush12ice
post was not complete.

I'd highly recommend Logitech K350. Been using it for 6+ years (yes) and never had issues. $59.99. Fantastic value.

• 2.4GHz wireless, so it supports quite a distance. 
  • Comes with Logitech Unifying receiver which you can just plug in anywhere and use it. You can also pair it with other Logitech wireless devices. 
  • Multimedia keys and a wide range of customization.
  • The keyboard also has a very nice comfortable wrist support which is excellent for long hours. I never want to replace this keyboard solely for this reason. 
  • Logitech provides 5 years hardware warranty.

One of my favourite purchase I made while building my PC back in 09-10. 

__

Don't have much idea about the UPS, but the APC ones are excellent. Check it out.

Monitor - you can go for any nice IPS panel. DELL/LG/BenQ/ASUS are good ones. 

As for PC, well, if you have no budget, then go for best parts with respect to price: performance. 

If it's mainly for media/story, you can go with G4560 + H270M-ITX + 8 GB RAM + 2-4 TB HDD (or more). What's your current configuration? 

9 hours ago, ayush12ice said:

I am thinking of updating my 10 year old desktop... I am completely unaware of the hardware that's available these days. I do not have a budget in mind at this time. 

Uses for the desktop:

• Media Server
  • Downloads
  • Data Storage
  • Maybe play some video games  

What type of games would you be interested in playing and at what resolution? Your PC will depend directly on this answer and would dictate the budget for your build. If you are in Gurgaon, come over to Nehru Place for a day, I can help you out or try to. =D 

Monitors do support multiple HDMI inputs, you can look at panels from Samsung, LG, Acer, ASUS and DELL for your needs. 

My current desktop pc has:

CPU: Intel Q6600

Motheboard: Gigabyte EX38DS4

RAM: OCZ2GB

HDD: WD750GB

Samsung 20xDVDRW

Cabinet: CM Elite330

PSU: CM Silent pro 500W

Gfx Card: MSI HD4850

This was built somewhere in 2007 most likely. 

About running games, i have realized that i prefer to play on the consoles (PS4 at this moment). Even, back in '07, i did not play much games on this desktop. However, i did play a few of them...

I generally play the popular games. I would like it to be able to run games at decent settings. Don't need anything high end. AAA+++ types. I won't cry if the games don't run on Ultra max settings.  haha...  

Anyways, main reason for upgrade of the desktop is the fact, i don't want to keep the laptop as the media server with data on external disks. So, high data storage and fast media streaming are top on the list and hopefully something which runs silent. My current desktop used to be super silent. Now it makes noises like an old man... AAaaaaaaaaaa.... 

Please do suggest good keyboard and mouse as well which have capabilities of switching between different computers with a press of a button. For example: http://www.logitech.com/en-in/product/mk850-wireless-keyboard-mouse-combo 

I will check monitors from DELL. What is a decent monitor cost these days?

10 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Buddy, this is on the USB receiver thing, so i would have to physically remove the receiver and plug it in the other machine. i need seamless switching with a simple press of a button. I am lazy like that... :P

15 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

what is the RMA process for Seasonic power supplies? do i have to courier the PSU to Tirupati in Kolkata?

Yupo, got to send it back to them. They will ship you one back on receipt.