[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Get it from r/microsoftsoftwareswap 

I'm not 100% sure if Windows 8.1 to 10 free upgrade is still available. If it is, go for it. If not, then the Windows 10 PRO version will cost you $40-45. 

Everything is automated there. So you should receive your key within few minutes. 

I got mine during Windows 8 launch and upgraded all the way to Windows 10. Still working perfectly fine. 6RfHKce.png

Edited by Heaven Angel

On 8/28/2017 at 10:46 PM, djanuj said:

Same. Even mine did the same. I could see my neighbour WiFi too. Anyhow I guess my solution is not your solution. Hope you fix your problem and let us know what you did.

Log in to your router and change the channel on which the Wifi is broadcasting. Older laptops can't detect above channel 10. If it is set to channel 13 or something change it to one of the lower channels. Also, check and see if it is set to broadcast in 20mhz or 40mhz or combo. If it is set to 40mhz mode, change it to 20mhz

• Like 1

Log in to your router and change the channel on which the Wifi is broadcasting. Older laptops can't detect above channel 10. If it is set to channel 13 or something change it to one of the lower channels. Also, check and see if it is set to broadcast in 20mhz or 40mhz or combo. If it is set to 40mhz mode, change it to 20mhz

Mine was Asus G750JX

6 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

I'll check the channel. That may be the issue. Iirc I forgot I had changed channels on both routers a few weeks back to 11 and 13 respectively. Could be the issue.

As far as broadcast both are auto. I'll change channels first when I get home this evening. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Well, there are keys available on Ebay for less than $5. They say they've reclaimed those keys from old PCs etc and can only be tied to one system. Might be MSDN keys for all i know but gets activated and is working without a hitch for quite a few guys on TE.

Tied to one system is the key here. Either don't active Windows or stack and buy a proper license. No point in building a $1000+ system and then buying some cheap one time license. 

Second, can vouch only what I've used. I purchased my license years ago for $20 and have upgraded, reinstalled and activated Windows so many times without any issue. 

rhUkbfL.png

Edited by Heaven Angel

Guys can anyone help me. I have Logitech Z5500 in mint condition. Works really great. The only issue is that all my speakers surround foam has been torn. How can I fix this? I don't want to scrap this speakers. It works great!

I am in Mumbai (Vile Parle) btw. I have zero experience so I think giving it to Experienced electrician or engineer might work. But need your inputs.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:09 PM, harjas said:

Alright, I need some help, suddenly 2-3 days back one of my SSD's stopped showing when I opened my computer/My PC.

I allocated the SSD as E, and under Disk management I see it there, but with 20MB free space, Even in BIOS, the SSD shows open space of 20MB.

anyone @ALPHA17

Ok, I have been looking into overclocking videos and want to understand some things.

To start with I want to incrementally OC my CPU. Can someone please tell me how much offset should I keep when increasing the voltage? e.g. if I want to increase ryzen 5 from base 3.2 to 3.3, how much voltage should I increase? The videos I have seen, people are directly raising the voltage to 1.4 from 1.35, so I am confused if I should also set it directly to 1.4 or not?

Can I OC RAM without OC-ing CPU?

I am using stock cooler that came with Ryzen 5.

1 hour ago, Django_3101 said:

Can I OC RAM without OC-ing CPU?

I am using stock cooler that came with Ryzen 5.

You can simply go into the UEFI and put the RAM on a preset high-speed profile instead of overclocking it. 

Do you have an A/C in your PC room?

On 9/3/2017 at 4:24 AM, ALPHA17 said:

^ Harjas is the BIOS detecting the drive? 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:03 PM, HEMAN said:

did you try disconnecting the drive and reconnecting.

yup and yup 

@Joe Cool it's not showing as e anymoree

Okay overclock on the stock cooler for only the winters, do not keep it going once it starts heating up.

I would recommend trying to raise frequency up by ~15MHz without fiddling with the voltage initially, go until the point you can push without altering the voltage, then follow up. Check for stability with applications like Super Pi.