[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

On 6/27/2018 at 8:41 PM, ayush12ice said:

How is the surface laptop? 

I would recommend staying away from Surface devices. They have a long history of unreliable hardware issues which have not been fixed through multiple iterations. 

If you primarily want something slim and able to do the heavy duty processor workloads, I would suggest you look at some models like HP's Envy series. Try to bag 8th Gen Intel processors as far as possible and the rest is up to you. 

21 hours ago, HEMAN said:

A decent setup in 40k will get you cpu+8gbram+mobo+ssd.

Sorry for the stupid question. Got your point will consider having decent setup and will add gpu later for gaming. 

Edited by gmanu555

Guys I'm on the lookout for a monitor upgrade over my current AOC 22" FHD 60HZ nothing fancy here. Challenge is given the current options its getting a bit confusing and I could potentially end up with an overkill given my PC hardware. 

Essentially need it for gaming. Now my rig is bit dated and can push 45+ FPS mostly high settings in modern games at 1080p and around 30FPS at 1440p

Which one should I consider as the category of the monitor, and individual suggestions in the recommended category would help - 

1. 1080p freesync monitor (bigger in size ~27") 60hz

2. 1080p 144hz 24"

3. 1440p 60hz 24"

4. 4K 60hz 24"

All kind of line up in the same budget line 20-25K is where I'm drawing the line for this.

PS: Running a RX 470 4gig

Edited by kunallkw

So I have been out of the hardware loop for a bit and lately I have been hearing a lot about Ryzen and how it is pushing the barriers for performance in amazing budgets. Now I want to know is this really true or more hype like those AMD Bulldozer which was just smoke. Are Intel 8th generation similar priced cpu still better at gaming?
Also is this the right time to update my cpu? Been thinking about it for some time but was never too impressed with the cpu gains to actually pull the trigger. I am running a i5-2400 with a Gtx 1060 and a few games seem to bottleneck my cpu before my gpu is fully utilized.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, i_rock098 said:

So I have been out of the hardware loop for a bit and lately I have been hearing a lot about Ryzen and how it is pushing the barriers for performance in amazing budgets. Now I want to know is this really true or more hype like those AMD Bulldozer which was just smoke. Are Intel 8th generation similar priced cpu still better at gaming?
Also is this the right time to update my cpu? Been thinking about it for some time but was never too impressed with the cpu gains to actually pull the trigger. I am running a i5-2400 with a Gtx 1060 and a few games seem to bottleneck my cpu before my gpu is fully utilized.

Good time to upgrade. 

The Ryzen is definitely a better rounded offering compared to Intel's Coffee Lake range of processors although in a straight shoot out Intel will still win across the board for just gaming. 

I would still recommend the former over the latter, just wait for the RAM prices to drop and hopefully AMD's new budget range B450 motherboards will be in the market by that time. Also, since AMD has reiterated that they will support the AM4 socket till 2020, it means going forward if you have to upgrade in the next two-three years, you will not be forced to move your entire system (RAM +motherboard) when you drop in a new CPU, at max you will need to flash your BIOS and make sure you are getting a compatible chip to move up to. 

9 hours ago, i_rock098 said:

Good time to upgrade. 

The Ryzen is definitely a better rounded offering compared to Intel's Coffee Lake range of processors although in a straight shoot out Intel will still win across the board for just gaming. 

I would still recommend the former over the latter, just wait for the RAM prices to drop and hopefully AMD's new budget range B450 motherboards will be in the market by that time. Also, since AMD has reiterated that they will support the AM4 socket till 2020, it means going forward if you have to upgrade in the next two-three years, you will not be forced to move your entire system (RAM +motherboard) when you drop in a new CPU, at max you will need to flash your BIOS and make sure you are getting a compatible chip to move up to. 

14 hours ago, kunallkw said:

1. 1080p freesync monitor (bigger in size ~27") 60hz

2. 1080p 144hz 24"

3. 1440p 60hz 24"

4. 4K 60hz 24"

All kind of line up in the same budget line 20-25K is where I'm drawing the line for this.

PS: Running a RX 470 4gig

For your requirements get a good 1080p FreeSync monitor from LG or Acer. High refresh-rate should be your highest priority at this point. 

Edited by ALPHA17

10 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

For your requirements get a good 1080p FreeSync monitor from LG or Acer. High refresh-rate should be your highest priority at this point. 

Bit confused by the last statement. So are you suggesting I get a 144hz instead ?  I saw there are certain non Freesync 144hz monitors as well.

What do you think of these models and which one do you recommend - 

1. https://www.amazon.in/LG-27MP59G-IPS-LED/dp/B075V5F3N4

2. https://www.amazon.in/LG-24GM79G-B-Reduction-FreeSyncTM-Stabilizer/dp/B06XFGTGC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530517129&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+24gm79g-b

Good time to upgrade. 

Hi thanks for the reply

Well to be honest now when I upgrade my cpu and motherboard now I want it to last as long as my Sandy bridge did which still runs amazing except the game bottlenecks.

What would be a budget cpu that I should upgrade to? As in the model number. I use my pc primarily for gaming and browsing no video editing or anything like that which possibly benefit from having more threads. Also a few doubts if you could answer

1) From the research on prices that I did, a competing Ryzen processor is more expensive on MD computers compared to its Intel equivalent. Why is that? should it not be the other way around?

2) From the comparison videos I saw between Intel 8400 and Amd 2600 they both had almost same fps in games but the Amd chip was sitting at around 35% utilization while the Intel one was at 80% why is that?

3) I have read that Zen 2 series is coming out later this year and it offers quite a significant performance boost. So I might as well wait for it since like I said I want to keep the cpu for a very long time.

AMD's price advantage goes away when it enters India. Local computer shops usually offer lower prices at least in my city.
Exactly that's even for GPU AMD price sucks compared to Nvidia. Wish they actually offered comparable prices

On 02/07/2018 at 5:59 PM, i_rock098 said:

Well to be honest now when I upgrade my cpu and motherboard now I want it to last as long as my Sandy bridge did which still runs amazing except the game bottlenecks.

What would be a budget cpu that I should upgrade to? As in the model number. I use my pc primarily for gaming and browsing no video editing or anything like that which possibly benefit from having more threads. Also a few doubts if you could answer

1) From the research on prices that I did, a competing Ryzen processor is more expensive on MD computers compared to its Intel equivalent. Why is that? should it not be the other way around?

2) From the comparison videos I saw between Intel 8400 and Amd 2600 they both had almost same fps in games but the Amd chip was sitting at around 35% utilization while the Intel one was at 80% why is that?

3) I have read that Zen 2 series is coming out later this year and it offers quite a significant performance boost. So I might as well wait for it since like I said I want to keep the cpu for a very long time.

Answers, sequentially, 

1.  Check local prices, please. 
  2. Because the Core i5 8400 /8500 is a hex-core processor while the Ryzen 5 2600 /2600X is a hex-core processor with SMT (AMD's version of Hyper-Threading), so effectively it shows up with 12 cores. More cores = more resources = more reserve juice in the tank going forward.
  3. Yes, there is talk of Ryzen 2 but it would likely be 2019 when it shows up here. If you can wait, why not. If not Ryzen+ is not a bad choice in itself. 
On 02/07/2018 at 7:04 PM, HEMAN said:

AMD's price advantage goes away when it enters India. Local computer shops usually offer lower prices at least in my city.

Not really, original Ryzen landing prices were pretty solid when it landed here. Retailers might have gotten a good response with Ryzen is my only explanation for now. 

On 02/07/2018 at 1:09 PM, kunallkw said:

Bit confused by the last statement. So are you suggesting I get a 144hz instead ?  I saw there are certain non Freesync 144hz monitors as well.

What do you think of these models and which one do you recommend - 

1. https://www.amazon.in/LG-27MP59G-IPS-LED/dp/B075V5F3N4

2. https://www.amazon.in/LG-24GM79G-B-Reduction-FreeSyncTM-Stabilizer/dp/B06XFGTGC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530517129&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+24gm79g-b

Someone recently posted in the What I bought thread, check there and get in touch. 

But yes, the highest refresh rate monitor in your budget is what you should gun for. 

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 5 2500G 12800/- inbuilt Vega graphics

Ryzen 5 1600 14900/-

Which processor is best? Requirement is gaming at 720p and programming .net / java.

I dont want to spend on gpu right now but have plans to add it after 1year. Also suggest motherboard for ryzen 5 with usb 3.1 and hdmi.. support of gpu gtx 1060.

Edited by gmanu555

12 hours ago, gmanu555 said:

Ryzen 5 2500G 12800/- inbuilt Vega graphics

Ryzen 5 1600 14900/-

Which processor is best? Requirement is gaming at 720p and programming .net / java.

I dont want to spend on gpu right now but have plans to add it after 1year. Also suggest motherboard for ryzen 5 with usb 3.1 and hdmi.. support of gpu gtx 1060.

Do you have a GPU currently? 

8 hours ago, ALPHA17 said:

Do you have a GPU currently? 

No. 

Im planning to use  ryzen 2500g inbuilt graphics for now. That way i can have entry level gaming pc for 40k.

Please suggest if there are any better options.

14 hours ago, gmanu555 said:

No. 

Im planning to use  ryzen 2500g inbuilt graphics for now. That way i can have entry level gaming pc for 40k.

Please suggest if there are any better options.

What all do you need in that budget? Just the tower and its innards or the monitor, tower, peripherals all inclusive?