[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

8 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

The Aorus pro is beyond my budget and I feel like Asrock B450 Pro4 might be a little under my budget. 

The Msi B450M Mortar Max looks nice. Also has better Audio out options. Anyone using that? 

MSI generally receives a lot of flak for crappy after sales support. Almost everyone in Reddit has had bad experience with MSI. Although, I've heard that they've changed their service partner and that things have gotten better recently. I'd recommend that you check this up before you decide.

Gigabyte has a reddit rep who is pretty active and very helpful in getting things resolved. So the brand has a lot of positive feedback.

ASRock's got a pretty neutral rep. I haven't heard anything bad about it per se.

Edited by l33tmaniac

23 hours ago, Ram Dante said:

I will take that recommendation as well. As I had recently ordered the Ryzen 2700 with Corsair Ram from US, and it would be arriving in a couple of months.

Need to get a decent motherboard (4-6k range), that is reliable and one that will support minor overclocking and nVME SSDs. Hopefully the ASRock would be good. 

Also, can someone recommend me a nice looking cabinet (in the 2.5-3.5k range), that's big enough for ATX boards, with space to support CPU coolers (like Hyper212), and high-end cards. USB 3.1 front panel would be a plus. 

https://mdcomputers.in/cooler-master-masterbox-mb511-mcb-b511d-kann-s00.html

10 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

The Aorus pro is beyond my budget and I feel like Asrock B450 Pro4 might be a little under my budget. 

The Msi B450M Mortar Max looks nice. Also has better Audio out options. Anyone using that? 

I have just got my hands on the Mortar non-max.. Although I had ordered the Max one, the seller screwed up and delivered the non-max version..
Still waiting for the R5 3600 to arrive after which I can try out that mobo..

1 hour ago, Ram Dante said:

Stretch a bit more and get the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. It should be around 9.5k.

Tomahawk & Mortar are basically the same stuff.. Just ATX vs mATX
Also you get 2 M.2 slots with the Mortar but it lacks the heatsink on the SoC VRM which is not a big deal if you don't plan to use any of those APUs..

20 hours ago, Ram Dante said:

Thanks! This one seems good.

Would you know if this model will look like MB511RGB, if we add the RGB fans to the front?

I guess it should. The front 3 fans seem to be standard 3x120mm or 2x140mm if I am not wrong. So it should look similar to the RGB model if you choose to install those fans. That being said, it would make sense if you already have RGB fans. If not, might be cheaper to go for the RGB model instead of getting this and then opting for 3 RGB fans.

Quick update for anyone who is interested. Got the Asrock B450 Pro4 and its actually pretty good. 

Well spaced layout. Plenty of fan and SATA connections. Easy to build in as well. Also worked pretty smoothly with the XMP profiles for my RAM as well. 

No real complaints. Fairly decent board. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

Quick update for anyone who is interested. Got the Asrock B450 Pro4 and its actually pretty good. 

Well spaced layout. Plenty of fan and SATA connections. Easy to build in as well. Also worked pretty smoothly with the XMP profiles for my RAM as well. 

No real complaints. Fairly decent board. 

Post your complete specs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 9:41 PM, Aftrunner said:

I may as well be getting the same mobo soon. A few queries,

Are you able to run the RAM @ the rated specs? 

And did you try overclocking the CPU? How much were you able to achieve?

Edited by Ram Dante

12 hours ago, Ram Dante said:

I may as well be getting the same mobo soon. A few queries,

Are you able to run the RAM @ the rated specs? 

And did you try overclocking the CPU? How much were you able to achieve?

Running RAM at the rated 3000 Mhz. No issues so far. 

Havent tried to overclock. I will probably get a better CPU cooler before I even attempt that. For now anyway, I dont need to, cause the CPU is not really lagging behind.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Defender487 said:

Should I upgrade 60hz monitor to 144hz or 165hz with rx480 4gb or upgrade the gpu as well

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What games do you play? 

That GPU (depending on your CPU) could do 144hz on CSGO/Dota/Rocket League. Maybe Apex and PUBG if you turned down the settings a lot. 

But really, a 144hz monitor would be wasted on that GPU. 

13 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

What games do you play? 

That GPU (depending on your CPU) could do 144hz on CSGO/Dota/Rocket League. Maybe Apex and PUBG if you turned down the settings a lot. 

But really, a 144hz monitor would be wasted on that GPU. 

that means an upgrade overall

coz i want to change se2416h dell monitor to something really good

Edited by Defender487

I need to assemble a pc for a friend mainly for 1080p video editing works (little to no gaming). Max budget is 90k. Need thoughts and opinions from people in the same profession.

1. The GPU. I'm thinking of getting the RX 570 4GB for 11k or so. The other option is the GTX 1650. I have no idea about their performance on video editing softwares like Adobe's. Read that Cuda should be preferred. How legit is this claim? And what % difference does it have from AMD's? Getting the Zotac GTX 1650 Super 4GB.

2. Friend wants the Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus SSD. The motherboard which I chose is the Gigabyte B450M DS3H. Would like someone to confirm that the motherboard supports this Nvme without any issue. For your convenience here is the link of the motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp It is compatible.

The CPU will be R5 3600. 

3. The RAM. Would 16GB suffice or will he need 32GB? Planning of getting a standard Corsair LPX 3000MHz/3200MHz. Would timing affect the performance? Absolutely no cpu OC'ing. 

4. Hard disk for media storage. Planning to get two of WD 1TB EZEX 7200RPM than other cheaper but slower 2TB variants.

5. Keyboard: what mechanical switches do you guys feel that he will like it? He has never used a mechanical keyboard before. I wanted to order the TVS but apparently TVS has stopped producing them with Cherry MX keys. Now only Long Hua. I'm thinking CM Pro L white led (comes in blue, red and brown iirc). Can't find the brown anywhere anymore.

6. PSU: the tried and tested Seasonic S12II 529/620. M models are out of stock. I don't know about the OEM's of other PSU's. Another option: Corsair RM650 for 9k. Apparently this is a cwt model with Chinese stuff somewhere.

7. Mouse: Steelseries Rival.

8. CPU cooler: has anyone used any new air cooler? Absolutely no water cooler. Only air.

Please understand that I don't want to buy something which he doesn't/won't need. I'd rather have him invest in more important components. 

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks. 

Edited by SonicDave