[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

6K for the 3870! Grab it i say!

Plus DX 10.1 support is sweet.

Frankly, even I'm amazed he's selling it so cheap. Considering my CPU was only just upgraded last year (on a very tight budget, mind), I don't think I can blow on the entire CPU just yet. I'll probably buy this card, and bolt it on to my current MoBo. ( Its an Asus M2N-MX, my hunch is this card will work with it)

Will also check on the 4850. Too many compelling options out there.

^It'll work. PCI express v2.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI express X16 slots.

I don't think there's any bottlenecking issues with the current generation of cards either. If you're getting it for 6k man, I'd take it. HD 4850 isn't going to come in here @ US prices, obviously.

^It'll work. PCI express v2.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI express X16 slots.

I don't think there's any bottlenecking issues with the current generation of cards either. If you're getting it for 6k man, I'd take it. HD 4850 isn't going to come in here @ US prices, obviously.

Well, its settled then. Considering I'm running a 7600 GT (Good, but...), this should be a substantial upgrade. Of course, ina nother couple of months, I'll be looking to upgrade a lot more. For now, this should do.

Well, its settled then. Considering I'm running a 7600 GT (Good, but...), this should be a substantial upgrade. Of course, ina nother couple of months, I'll be looking to upgrade a lot more. For now, this should do.

Yes, HD 3870 will be adequate to run @ moderately high resolutions for a while. 7600GT was a great card at it's time. It still runs older games well, but you'll be blown away by the improvement your new HD 3870 brings to the table in newer games like BioShock and Shadow of Chernobyl, CoD4, etc. :P

Vivek, P45 does CrossFire @ x8/x8. I'm not aware of bottlenecking issues, although I think it will be minimal, if there is any that is as the new crop of Intel motherboards like P45/X48 and even P35 have PCIE x16 v2.0 slots. I think this slot is approximately twice more capable than original PCIE x16 slots. And I doubt even current video cards are utilizing all of the PCIE x16 v2's capacity anyway.

i have a bad feeling that ATI has shot itself in its foot by underpricing the 4870 card just to win market share. What do you guys think about it. Above statement is just my opinion.

150$ means SLI for 300$ same price range and great performance. People dont need to change boards dont need to spend 300 more just 150 more that will be killer....

rest assured my card will be ordered the very day :)

You can sell it, but if it's considerably old, I wouldn't expect much.

Or, you could throw in an el-cheapo processor and RAM in the older motherboard and use it as a download/spare rig or whatever. Personally that's what I'm gonna do when I eventually upgrade. Or I might just give it to my brother, he only browses the internet and listens to music, etc and doesn't play games so this will do.

First up: brand?

Secondly: specs? If you don't know your PC config, type "dxdiag" (minus the quotes) in Run and tell us what video card/display, ram, motherboard chipset and processor you have.

Brand:HP

Mobo:Intel 945G

Processor:Intel Pentium D 1.60GHz

GC:Integrated one...now buying the discrete one so no probs here

The HD3870@ 6K is good enough for that res. don't even bother with the newer ones just yet.

Also, just got an email from my vendor, the HD4850 will be out in two days. Will get pricing asap. i might just bite :D.

Plz do. :)

BTW, what make? Sapphire?

The HD3870@ 6K is good enough for that res. don't even bother with the newer ones just yet.

Also, just got an email from my vendor, the HD4850 will be out in two days. Will get pricing asap. i might just bite :).

sell me the GT for cheap then :D

lol sure, if i had an 8800GT. The last nV card i owned was the 6600GT. Right now i got an ATi X1950XTX. Got ticked off with the evil nV pricing policies on the 8 series cards (especially the 8800GTS 640MB and 320MB), and a friend was selling his X1950XTX for 7K so i bought it. This was a year back. The card rocks at everything i throw at it. Well, except Crysis:p.

ahhh it was nash then who got the card my bad :)

Pick 4850 till they last...

sapphire 4870 debuted at 310$ on new egg and was sold out in a jiffy now ETA is 30th of the month