[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

4 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

GPON is not a brand, 

I realized that just now. The box has a huge "GPON" router so I thought it was a brand. Looks like they are trying to rip me off.

Any suggestion for a new router then?

Hey guys, I'm planning to get a BSNL FTTH connection. They insisted that I take their router of GPON branding which didn't look any different from standard routers of other brands. Any one familiar with this company or it's products? Any information would be great. Will submit form tomorrow. 
I would like to mention that they raised the total fees to 5300rs. Previous one was 4500rs. They said this is due to unavailability of products.

What plan are you taking if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, i_rock098 said:

What plan are you taking if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

777. Basic plan. Probably won't need more.

17 hours ago, adity said:

That sounds like a ridiculous price. I took ion Internet and they charged like 500 bucks for the fibre modem. Even reliance gives it for 1.5k refundable. 

It seems to be the going price of BSNL. 3000rs for modem, 500rs for installation, security deposit ~plan subscribed to etc. Initial total was 4500rs and the contractor increased to 5300rs citing unavailability of products. Which is bs. We are at their mercy.

I haven't submitted the form though.

I called Jio people who told me the total cost would be 2500rs including modem and deposit but it will take minimum one week to one month for them to finalize everything. The good news is they have already laid down the cables.

But I've been curious about something, where do they get their trunk line? I live in the Northeast.

The only main line which I know of is BSNL's. Could it be wireless? 

Edited by SonicDave

19 hours ago, adity said:

That sounds like a ridiculous price. I took ion Internet and they charged like 500 bucks for the fibre modem. Even reliance gives it for 1.5k refundable. 

Yes Ion is very based, BSNL and Reliance, Airtel and Hathway or YOU idk one of them is owned by Vodafone, all have sh*t prices and plans.

1 hour ago, SonicDave said:

777. Basic plan. Probably won't need more.

It seems to be the going price of BSNL. 3000rs for modem, 500rs for installation, security deposit ~plan subscribed to etc. Initial total was 4500rs and the contractor increased to 5300rs citing unavailability of products. Which is bs. We are at their mercy.

I haven't submitted the form though.

I called Jio people who told me the total cost would be 2500rs including modem and deposit but it will take minimum one week to one month for them to finalize everything. The good news is they have already laid down the cables.

But I've been curious about something, where do they get their trunk line? I live in the Northeast.

The only main line which I know of is BSNL's. Could it be wireless? 

Is your GPON box seperate or is it a combo unit with Wifi router functions?

It would explain the high price, like my current wifi router costs 3K

F601.jpg

pic related is what Ion gave me, fibre line goes in, Ethernet comes out, which then goes into Wifi Router, i had to give 1.5k deposit for this box + one digisol wifi router iirc, my current router is TPLINK Archer C6

Considering buying a mouse as well (not for gaming though)

Want to get the Logitech G304, but can anybody confirm it its worth the 3K as I haven't spent this kind of money on a mouse before.'

Also any idea if Logitech mice(?) or mouse is manufactured in India or not? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Considering buying a mouse as well (not for gaming though)

Want to get the Logitech G304, but can anybody confirm it its worth the 3K as I haven't spent this kind of money on a mouse before.'

Also any idea if Logitech mice(?) or mouse is manufactured in India or not? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-G102-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B01MYPU20Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=logitech+g102&qid=1595098841&s=computers&sr=1-1

G304 is Literally this mouse but with better sensor and wireless.

I assume you want mouse for daily usage, no need for fancy sensor, you would use fancy sensor if you are playing competitive MP games on PC though.

2 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-G102-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B01MYPU20Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=logitech+g102&qid=1595098841&s=computers&sr=1-1

G304 is Literally this mouse but with better sensor and wireless.

I assume you want mouse for daily usage, no need for fancy sensor, you would use fancy sensor if you are playing competitive MP games on PC though.

No games at all. Only daily work. Wireless feature would be nice. Its for my dad, he travels a ton (obviously not right) and wireless is more convenient.

He spends half his time in a planes and airports and hotel rooms. At the moment it does not matter or Id go for the G102.

Can you check if your mouse is in fact Made in China?

12 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

No games at all. Only daily work. Wireless feature would be nice. Its for my dad, he travels a ton (obviously not right) and wireless is more convenient.

He spends half his time in a planes and airports and hotel rooms. At the moment it does not matter or Id go for the G102.

Can you check if your mouse is in fact Made in China?

Under the mouse there is a sticker with a serial number, name of the mouse and "Made In China"

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-M337-Bluetooth-Mouse-Red/dp/B017IW92J2/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_2/261-9489313-4184142?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017IVNGCC&pd_rd_r=31b1a997-5cad-46d0-bc83-db842b03496a&pd_rd_w=ejoHq&pd_rd_wg=YeyyE&pf_rd_p=5a903e39-3cff-40f0-9a69-33552e242181&pf_rd_r=A1916FFG1XSHEQACK9FX&refRID=A1916FFG1XSHEQACK9FX&th=1

For wireless you have other options, main component of the G304's big price is whatever fancy sensor they have, not the switches used for the mouse buttons, or the wireless radio, all which come for cheap

2 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

Under the mouse there is a sticker with a serial number, name of the mouse and "Made In China"

https://www.amazon.in/Logitech-M337-Bluetooth-Mouse-Red/dp/B017IW92J2/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_2/261-9489313-4184142?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017IVNGCC&pd_rd_r=31b1a997-5cad-46d0-bc83-db842b03496a&pd_rd_w=ejoHq&pd_rd_wg=YeyyE&pf_rd_p=5a903e39-3cff-40f0-9a69-33552e242181&pf_rd_r=A1916FFG1XSHEQACK9FX&refRID=A1916FFG1XSHEQACK9FX&th=1

For wireless you have other options, main component of the G304's big price is whatever fancy sensor they have, not the switches used for the mouse buttons, or the wireless radio, all which come for cheap

Lol yeah, I'm surprised that its this difficult to find an option made within the country.

As far as the G304 goes, yeah they have a fancy sensor to ensure a good gaming experience and a bunch of other fancy things which I don't need, but the mouse looks more comfortable.

I've bought the M337 before and its just a little funky in the hands. A different wireless mouse could serve well, do share if you know a good one.

The M331 is cheaper, and is made for right-handed people so considering going with that. It has a textured grip where your thumb is supposed to be as well.

Edited by Chirag2001

Best deal on a monitor?

I don't want it to be to big, so maybe 24 inch or 27 inch. 

Wish to use the monitor with my laptop. I already have a bluetooth keyboard from Logitech so will connect that to the laptop, and get another wireless mouse. 

Have never used the laptop-as-a-PC setup before, but I assume its feasible enough? and is it worth the 15K? Thats my budget.

Also since my TV has HDMI issues, will use it with PS4 Pro occasionally. I do plan to find a permanent solution to my TV issue so don't need a full blown gaming monitor or 4K or 144HZ or all that fancy jazz. 

Also I'd like it to be as slim as possible, not take up too much space on my desk. Speakers would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Looking at this as it checks quite a few boxes-

Acer 24 inch Monitor

https://www.amazon.in/BenQ-Borderless-Brightness-Intelligence-Technology/dp/B07LDH32ZP/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ACYCYX9AVFBR&dchild=1&keywords=benq+gw2480&qid=1595178064&s=computers&sprefix=benq+gw24%2Ccomputers%2C300&sr=1-1

There is this benq monitor, 1080p IPS panel, 2x HDMI, speakers and Audio out, the 24 inch version is OOS it seems,  but that is what i'd recommend, it is called BenQ GW2480.

btw if your monitor doesn't have speakers you need to buy external speakers and connect them to monitor using 3.5mm jack, your monitor needs an audio out for this though.

PS4 sends audio over HDMI, so if your monitor doesn't have audio out jack or inbuilt speakers then you will have no sound.

Yes laptop as desktop setup is most mainstream thing today, working on a bigger screen with a proper keyboard and mouse is much more comfortable than using just laptop. 

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

Idk if India makes monitors, but a Made in India tag would be nice. Will bump budget a bit if somebody is aware of a good monitor which IS made in India. 

@PhantomShade I bought the M331 mouse today, its cheap, its wireless, its cheeni. Like you said.

afaik most IT products are Chinese only, mainly i think because long ago when Liberalization began one of the conditions was to have minimal duty/customs on imported IT/Computer equipment, and those duty/customs structures have been unchanged ever since in 90's Chinese weren't so dominant in HW manufacturing so i guess sarkar back then didn't pay attention.

If you want make in India TVs im sure there are 22 and 24 inch models available, made in India with inbuilt speakers also.

7 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Lol yeah, I'm surprised that its this difficult to find an option made within the country.

As far as the G304 goes, yeah they have a fancy sensor to ensure a good gaming experience and a bunch of other fancy things which I don't need, but the mouse looks more comfortable.

I've bought the M337 before and its just a little funky in the hands. A different wireless mouse could serve well, do share if you know a good one.

The M331 is cheaper, and is made for right-handed people so considering going with that. It has a textured grip where your thumb is supposed to be as well.

As much as I want to buy logitech because of its sensor but I cannot because I know it will start double clicking in 4-5 months. G102 is synonymous with double click  issue so consider this factor as well!!!!

Currently using g300s and it double  clicks as soon as 3-4 months even after getting new mouse in warranty period.

39 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

There is this benq monitor, 1080p IPS panel, 2x HDMI, speakers and Audio out, the 24 inch version is OOS it seems,  but that is what i'd recommend, it is called BenQ GW2480.

btw if your monitor doesn't have speakers you need to buy external speakers and connect them to monitor using 3.5mm jack, your monitor needs an audio out for this though.

PS4 sends audio over HDMI, so if your monitor doesn't have audio out jack or inbuilt speakers then you will have no sound.

Yes but isn't the Acer monitor I sent pretty similar to the 24 inch Benq? I mean its FHD IPS, has HDMI.

I don't need speakers when I play PS4, I always use my gaming headset. I need speakers when connected to my monitor, thats why I asked for monitors with speakers built in. 

39 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Yes laptop as desktop setup is most mainstream thing today, working on a bigger screen with a proper keyboard and mouse is much more comfortable than using just laptop. 

Yeah. Although I have used a friend's monitor once, but it worked like a second display, an extension of the laptop screen and not the exact same image. But I assume thats in the settings so I can just shut my laptop and keep it to the side and work with a proper keyboard, mouse and a monitor then? 

Won't cause too much cable clutter right? 1 HDMI cable, and the power cord for the monitor itself. Thanks. 

20 minutes ago, gs_RoXxX said:

As much as I want to buy logitech because of its sensor but I cannot because I know it will start double clicking in 4-5 months. G102 is synonymous with double click  issue so consider this factor as well!!!!

Currently using g300s and it double  clicks as soon as 3-4 months even after getting new mouse in warranty period.

I just got a regular wireless mouse from Logitech (M331) for my dad. But now I'm considering buying a monitor to use with my laptop so will need another mouse.

Will probably buy the same mouse if the first one feels good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yes but isn't the Acer monitor I sent pretty similar to the 24 inch Benq? I mean its FHD IPS, has HDMI.

I don't need speakers when I play PS4, I always use my gaming headset. I need speakers when connected to my monitor, thats why I asked for monitors with speakers built in. 

Yeah. Although I have used a friend's monitor once, but it worked like a second display, an extension of the laptop screen and not the exact same image. But I assume thats in the settings so I can just shut my laptop and keep it to the side and work with a proper keyboard, mouse and a monitor then? 

Won't cause too much cable clutter right? 1 HDMI cable, and the power cord for the monitor itself. Thanks. 

Yes, in windows you can just change settings to display it only on your monitor, then again in settings somewhere change the setting where it puts laptop to sleep on lid close, so you can close your laptop and keep it aside while you work