[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Stock coolers aren't ideal for high end CPUs. You will see high temp. 

TJ Max is 100 so it is still fine but I would replace the stock cooler and double check on fans. 

What is your idle temp? 
Idle temp is around 38 deg during browsing and watching movies, music etc.
During Gaming touches 100 deg.

I will save money to purchase next month, which cooler should I get for my Gigabyte Z490m with i7 10700 cpu ?

My cabinet is Cooler Master K280 so cannot buy something very large.

Sent from my motorola one fusion+ using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, pbpoovannagamer said:

I will save money to purchase next month, which cooler should I get for my Gigabyte Z490m with i7 10700 cpu ?

bro change ur cabinet and plz dont buy nzxt or any closed  box for beauty

go with corsair 280x

Thermaltake Core P5

Fractal Design Meshify C

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

as for cooler go with Noctua NH-D15 air or Corsair Hydro Series H100i

nowadays dont keep ur pc on ground or wooden container on the side

buy a big table if u dont have one or two tables

cross ventilation is must for longevity

hope this helps

Edited by Defender487
  • Like 1

I went into BIOS and disabled Intel turbo boost.

Clock speed returned to 2.9 ghz.

Played BF 5 for 30 min and temperatures maximum was 52 deg.

What a huge difference this made.

Idle temperatures is now showing at 32 deg.

Thanks for everybody's help here.

3 hours ago, pbpoovannagamer said:

Case is fine. Most of the coolers are good. Really comes down to budget at end of the day.

AIO - Deepcool Castle 240EX/360EX. Lian Li Galahad 240/360. Artic and EKWB good as well. 

AIR - Noctua always but check case size before buying. Deepcool Assassin III.

If you are not overclocking, not worth investing too much in cooler in early years.

13 minutes ago, pbpoovannagamer said:

I went into BIOS and disabled Intel turbo boost.

Clock speed returned to 2.9 ghz.

Played BF 5 for 30 min and temperatures maximum was 52 deg.

What a huge difference this made.

Idle temperatures is now showing at 32 deg.

Thanks for everybody's help here.

That's good to hear. Very nice. Idle 30-35 sounds perfect. 

Even if temps go high, don't worry about much. The chips can sustain very high temps before shutting the PC to avoid any damage but nice to keep them low. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Hi, i got MSI Z-87 GD 65 Gaming Motherboard. Currently i'm using a GTX 970 GPU on it. Looking to upgrade the GPU only. Can anyone tell me which GPUs are compatible with this motherboard.

All of them? Unless you have some dinosaur era motherboard you don't have to worry about GPU compatability

8 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

All of them? Unless you have some dinosaur era motherboard you don't have to worry about GPU compatability

The motherboard released back in 2013 hence i was asking.

2 hours ago, radicaldude said:

The new GPU might get bottlenecked though. You need to check your mobo's PCIe slots. (Speed, compatibility etc) 

Its a PCI express 3.0 slot x16. I'm not even looking at the 3000 series cards but something like RTX 2060 should support on the mobo i hope.

37 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

How much does brand/model of a GPU matter? For example, 3060 Ti from Galax is 42k and the Asus Strix OC is 52K. Is there a significant improvement in performance for the extra 10k? Basically, what I mean is once I've decided on the GPU I want, why not just go with the cheapest option?

Also, would a high-end 3060 Ti come close to the performance of a base SKU of the 3070?

IT makes a difference when you want to RMA a card. and also how long the card works (Life span)

God forbid if anything happens to it and you have to rma your card. Asus will be much better to deal with then Galax . Also the fans make a good differnce. 

Im no expert on this topic but this is just my 2 cents :) 

30 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

How much does brand/model of a GPU matter? For example, 3060 Ti from Galax is 42k and the Asus Strix OC is 52K. Is there a significant improvement in performance for the extra 10k?

Also, would a high-end 3060 Ti come close to the performance of a base SKU of the 3070?

Quite important. cooling issues is the major one. Best bet is to find real world numbers for temperatures. Asus MSi can be 5 to 10 degree lower compared to galax inno3d

Gaming performance is on par with each other 1 -2 fps here and there.

3070 is around 10% higher across numbers

31 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

Sure, RMA is a consideration. My question is more about price vs performance.

Btw I had a Galax 1060 for several years and had no issue. Still works fine.

RMA is the main point, the second is fans like rushab said, if the cooling setup is not good maybe your GPU will throttle which will hit performance, altough the big 3 asus, gigabyte, msi aren't immune.

I remember a year ago some ASUS Strix GPU with 3 fans had horrible temperature issues, and apparently it was a defect where the Heatsing wouldn't make a physical connection to the chip all the way, leading to very high tempts.

They fixed this in a later revision though.

So just check reviews of the models of big 3 gpus if you're buying.

3 hours ago, PhantomShade said:

RMA is the main point, the second is fans like rushab said, if the cooling setup is not good maybe your GPU will throttle which will hit performance, altough the big 3 asus, gigabyte, msi aren't immune.

I remember a year ago some ASUS Strix GPU with 3 fans had horrible temperature issues, and apparently it was a defect where the Heatsing wouldn't make a physical connection to the chip all the way, leading to very high tempts.

They fixed this in a later revision though.

So just check reviews of the models of big 3 gpus if you're buying.

I think costlier SKUs are overclocked as well, plus the room for overclocking is more on the device. However, if you get custom air/water cooling brackets, it does not make much difference.

PLus, components are more premium on the costlier card, and yes,  RGB lol

Edited by radicaldude

OC days are long over due to power limits on cards. 

Unless you live in very hot room or have absolutely no cooling or space in your case, you don't need to spend extra over FE. 

ASUS STRIX or any expensive card is not worth high premium. The difference in performance is mere 2-3 fps for extra $100-200 doesn't make sense to purchase.

As for warranty, you get same 3 years on ASUS too. FE provides 3 years as well. EVGA/Zotac has 5 years. RMA based on where you live, I guess. 

OC days are long over due to power limits on cards. 

Unless you live in very hot room or have absolutely no cooling or space in your case, you don't need to spend extra over FE. 

ASUS STRIX or any expensive card is not worth high premium. The difference in performance is mere 2-3 fps for extra $100-200 doesn't make sense to purchase.

As for warranty, you get same 3 years on ASUS too. FE provides 3 years as well. EVGA/Zotac has 5 years. RMA based on where you live, I guess. 

What’s the best way to test a stable over clock? Using Kombustor at the moment and if it does not crash even after increasing the core clock does that mean it’s stable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually aim for crashing and then underclock till it stops crashing. 

Stress-testing

• x264 Stress Test - for 99.9% stability on modern (Haswell and newer) Intel CPUs
  • IntelBurnTest - extreme stress test similar to Prime95
  • Prime95 - for 100% stability on modern Intel, and all stability testing on AMD and older Intel CPUs
  • Prime95 26.6 - for testing non-AVX speeds when using an AVX offset

nVidia has added "auto tuning" experimental feature to GeForce experience. Safe and easy OC. Obviously not best result as manual OC but it's nice to have for people who don't want to learn manual OC. 

So, i'm thinking upgrading just my GPU as i feel my 970 has come to retire. I have chosen two options: 1080ti or 2060 super (considering the CPU i have which is i7 4770k). I would have chosen 3060ti but unfortunately CPU will bottleneck it. 

1080ti is a difficult card to source out as its not in production nor many ppl selling it at the moment whereas 2060 super is kinda available but i believe its a bit underpowered compared to 1080ti especially on VRAM (correct me if i'm wrong). Which one should i hunt for or should i choose something else all together? Whichever i buy i'll be keeping it for atleast a couple of years so wanted to know which one to go for.

What is your CPU? 

1080Ti don't offer Ray Tracing if that is something you need. 2060S offers RT but I won't expect good performance (maybe doable at 30fps).

If both are same priced, I would go for 1080Ti and play without RT at 60fps+.

If you want RT and okay with 30FPS (60fps without RT but still slower than 1080Ti), go for 2060S.

Likely very hard to get new 1080Ti. Even if you manage to find one, it will be expensive.

I don't like buying 2nd hand product. Even more without warranty. 

Personally I would get 3060Ti and upgrade CPU later. 

Edited by Joe Cool