[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Some of the shortcut icons on my desktop have become white/blank. I tried numerous online solutions but nothing seems to work.

When i formatted my PC and re-installed windows 10  sometime back, the problem seemed to go away for few days and has started occurring again. So it's definitely some Windows 10 glitch. 

The icons only disappear when moved to a folder on the desktop. And only a few icons do that. This is some weird-a$$ glitch. 

Has anyone else faced this issue or something similar? Did anything work?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

15 hours ago, StormShadow said:

Some of the shortcut icons on my desktop have become white/blank. I tried numerous online solutions but nothing seems to work.

When i formatted my PC and re-installed windows 10  sometime back, the problem seemed to go away for few days and has started occurring again. So it's definitely some Windows 10 glitch. 

The icons only disappear when moved to a folder on the desktop. And only a few icons do that. This is some weird-a$$ glitch. 

Has anyone else faced this issue or something similar? Did anything work?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Try this:  Win+R -> %localappdata% -> in the AppData/Local folder delete IconCache.db file, then go to Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer. See if this fixes the issue.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, Rey said:

Try this:  Win+R -> %localappdata% -> in the AppData/Local folder delete IconCache.db file, then go to Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer. See if this fixes the issue.

It did work. Hope it lasts. I did delete the localCache.db file before and did a system restart but that didn't work. So maybe restarting Windows Explorer from the task bar after deleting the file works.

I had also tried moving the icons outside the folders (on the desktop) and all icons except 1 had re-appeared. But when i shifted them inside the folders, they again went blank after 2-3 reboots.

Hope i don't have to keep deleting the Icon cache file intermittently.

Thanks.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

So i have been looking around monitors and increased m budget a bit to get a 2k monitor as i have a gtx970 which on specs page shows it can do 2560x1440 @60 and 4k60, now i have seen 2 good monitors online which are below 25k, Benq EW2780Q and Acer Nitro XV272U, benq has good reviews on amazon with some complaining about backlight bleed, for acer it's reviewed very well on a site RTINGs but on amazon india users are complaining about dead pixels OOB, backlight bleed, panel getting lines, replacement sucking, overall poor QC for acer, i am very surprised how this is for a highly reviewed product

Here are other models i shortlisted but they are pricey from 30-32k at which point i feel why not stretch budget to benq mobius EX2710Q at 35k

TUF Gaming VG27AQ

Gigabyte G27Q

Benq EX2780Q

but i don't think my old card can get best out of any of these models so which 2k monitor should i get, i feel like if i get a 1080p now then I'll be stuck with a dated tech for years to come, i want 2k for media enjoyment as well, what to do ?

Guys, my current SSD is giving me the following speeds:

Sequential Read - 3686 Mb/

Sequential Write - 2880 Mb/s

Random Read - 118164 IOPS

Random Write - 59570 IOPS

My mobo is gigabyte ga b250m ds3h and Intel i5 7400 with 8gb DDR4 ram

Will adding m.2 nvme SSD give difference in speed? 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear pros, I'm looking to build a pc. Kindly suggest me specifications.  

My requirements are:

- opening atleast 20 chrome tabs active

- two to three RDP session 

- around 10 other apps like discord, telgram etc

- won't be gaming much. Mainly for multitasking. Not for video editing too. 

- can upgrade graphic card later if needed

- will be connecting two to three 4k monitors and a full hd monitor (or) two 5k 49" monitors

Budget: around 70k to 1L

Edited by Thalafan

1 hour ago, Thalafan said:

Dear pros, I'm looking to build a pc. Kindly suggest me specifications.  

My requirements are:

- opening atleast 20 chrome tabs active

- two to three RDP session 

- around 10 other apps like discord, telgram etc

- won't be gaming much. Mainly for multitasking. Not for video editing too. 

- can upgrade graphic card later if needed

- will be connecting two to three 4k monitors and a full hd monitor (or) two 5k 49" monitors

Budget: around 70k to 1L

Hello Thalafan,

Which all softwares are going to be used on it? Please specify the purpose of system. 

We build and ship systems all over India. Would love to have a chat regarding this and guide properly according to the purpose of system.

Please reach us out on DM or Call/Whatsapp Rahim - 9623688829

Regards

Gtek 

• 3 months later...

Ok PCMR brethren , I need suggestions on a modular/semi modular PSU to runa 3080/5600x and 16GB ram.

18 hours ago, Snake said:

Ok PCMR brethren , I need suggestions on a modular/semi modular PSU to runa 3080/5600x and 16GB ram.

Cooler Master MWE 850 V2 80+ Gold

Nzxt C850

Msi A850GF

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, Rey said:

^^How about DeepCool DQ850-M-V2L? Running my i9/3090 setup on it.

That psu is also good but if you can get better while not costing as much as fortune then we don't think there's an issue for it.

DQ 850 M-V2L is decent psu but using with i9+3090 is kinda risky. 3090 is an power hungry card we usually suggest our client to opt for atleast 1000w incase 3090 is needed. Upto 3080 DQ 850 M-V2L is nice above that 1000w is necessary.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:50 AM, Gtek said:

Cooler Master MWE 850 V2 80+ Gold

Nzxt C850

Msi A850GF

How

On 5/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Gtek said:

That psu is also good but if you can get better while not costing as much as fortune then we don't think there's an issue for it.

DQ 850 M-V2L is decent psu but using with i9+3090 is kinda risky. 3090 is an power hungry card we usually suggest our client to opt for atleast 1000w incase 3090 is needed. Upto 3080 DQ 850 M-V2L is nice above that 1000w is necessary.

How about the nzxt then?

Planning to run 5600x with a 3080

On 5/10/2022 at 6:05 PM, Snake said:

How

How about the nzxt then?

Planning to run 5600x with a 3080

NZXT C750/850 or MSI A750/850GF it is. Please try to get the 850w model. 

If not possible then either of the two mentioned above in 750w. 

Edited by Gtek

4 hours ago, Gtek said:

NZXT C750/850 or MSI A750/850GF it is. Please try to get the 850w model. 

If not possible then either of the two mentioned above in 750w. 

Do u have the 850 in stock?

On 5/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, Gtek said:

Available but other sites are offering better pricing so better to go with them. 

Do you have GPU's in stock at better prices than before.