[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

hey guys, i finally decided to buy a high end gaming rig, untill yesterday i was keen on buying 5870 as my GPU , but today one of my friend told me that 2× GTX 460 is faster than single 480 and 2× 5870 , so i need advice whether to stick with 5870 or go for 2× GTX 460 .And i also want to know whether 460 overheats like 480 or not?

Allright guys, here's an update to my GFWL woes!

I'm at the brink of my patience. I've forwarded all the ports necessary, enabled upnp, disabled the firewall......and all other minor tweaks possible. Still my modem reboots when I try to log into GFWL.

The only partial solution so far is when I reset my ip using "netsh int ip reset" in the cmd, and restart, I'm able to log in for once, and I mean once only! Even if I quit the game and try and log in again, the modem reboots. So, I have to repeat the whole process to log in again. And this is the procedure I've been using for ages. Now totally fed up and out of patience. There......end of rant.

If anyone has any idea about what else I can do to end this, your help is appreciated

Thank you.

Also, is it possible to manually limit my internet speed? (without using 3rd party softwares)

Bump

EDIT: NVM.....It decided to get fixed on it's own would you believe it :suicide:

Edited by devil_angel

Does anyone here defragments external HDD's here ?? Is it a good to do it for long life of these HDD's ? :unsure:

I have two External HDD's 500GB and 1TB , my 500GB is almost full and 1TB is only 20% full.

500GB one has constant addition/deletion to it , so wanted to confirm..

Does anyone here defragments external HDD's here ?? Is it a good to do it for long life of these HDD's ? :unsure:

I have two External HDD's 500GB and 1TB , my 500GB is almost full and 1TB is only 20% full.

500GB one has constant addition/deletion to it , so wanted to confirm..

Anyone ?? :unsure:

Not regularly , but I have moved more than 100GB of stuff from 500GB HDD to 1TB HDD in the last few months, so hence was asking.

It would take 5-6 hours I guess to defragment a 500GB External HDD. :P

very weird problem , my system is runnin all sp games like a charm . I play bc 2 with med high settings at a resolution of 1280 X 768 . get fps of about 25 - 40. i switch on the mp n then it gets f**ked !! Fps of 17 - 5 WTF on low settings 1024 X 768 resolution. Same with tf2 earlier i used to play it fine with everything on full but now it gets screwed. feels as if 1/4th of my system is bein used when playin mp , i think this problem is there since i shifted to windows 7 :| so what do i do??

Have a problem guys.

I have a net connection from a local service provider.

Have been given a static IP and have to do a web login before I can surf the net. My plan is UL. There's no time or bandwidth cap. I can access my account settings & all's well there.

The problem is I am getting signed out every 10-15 mins. Speed goes down to zero and cant access the net. Takes me to the login page if I try to open any site ! :wallbash:

I checked my settings & everything's seems well. Is there something I could be missing ? Because the guy says everything's perfect from his side ! :|

Edited by F@tm@n

very weird problem , my system is runnin all sp games like a charm . I play bc 2 with med high settings at a resolution of 1280 X 768 . get fps of about 25 - 40. i switch on the mp n then it gets f**ked !! Fps of 17 - 5 WTF on low settings 1024 X 768 resolution. Same with tf2 earlier i used to play it fine with everything on full but now it gets screwed. feels as if 1/4th of my system is bein used when playin mp , i think this problem is there since i shifted to windows 7 :| so what do i do??

MP is a lot more CPU/GPU intensive due to more units/building etc on screen and more stuff going on at once. You might need an upgrade of CPU/GPU

hey guys, i finally decided to buy a high end gaming rig, until yesterday i was keen on buying 5870 as my GPU , but today one of my friend told me that 2× GTX 460 is faster than single 480 and 2× 5870 , so i need advice whether to stick with 5870 or go for 2× GTX 460 .And i also want to know whether 460 overheats like 480 or not?

Getting two GFX has its merits and theirs PITAs so its what u want vs what u need. [if u get 2x460 then u need a PSU that can handle the power, a mobo that can run 2x8 Pcie lanes and a processor OC'd to balance the system, then comes the heat management and driver management also your power bills are gonna be a lil high.] vs [AWESOME GAMING EXPERIENCE U WILL EVER HAVE] well choose.

No the 460 doesn't overheat as much as the 480, but when u plonk in two of them make sure ur case is adequately aspirated and make sure u are getting something like the MSI "special" edition something.

Anyone ?? :unsure:

Don't defragment it on a regular basis, even though there are additions and remissions unless the hdd is making a lot of random reads and writes there is no "practical" need for defragmentation, but it helps do so once in a while.

Edited by memnom

Need your help with this guys,getting a new desktop and am confused between the Dell Inspiron 560s and the Dell Inspiron 580s,usage is pretty basic, no gaming purpose @ all..Need a LED monitor as well (Dell includes that with an additional 4k something so should I go for that ? :naughty: ) Maximum range 40k,

Edited by aRch-0n