[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Is there a huge difference in performance between the mobile versions for the CPU/GPU vs their desktop versions?

Also do the GPU/CPU have universal warranty? I will be headed to the UK soon for a business trip and was thinking of buiding a good gaming rig. Will i have any regional compatibilty/waranty issues if i buy the main things from UK and the big unportble things from here as the stuff seems to be a bit cheaper there?

Thanks

Is there a huge difference in performance between the mobile versions for the CPU/GPU vs their desktop versions?

Also do the GPU/CPU have universal warranty? I will be headed to the UK soon for a business trip and was thinking of buiding a good gaming rig. Will i have any regional compatibilty/waranty issues if i buy the main things from UK and the big unportble things from here as the stuff seems to be a bit cheaper there?

Thanks

Not really sure but GPU pretty much YES. CPU no idea.

@landmarktiger, at what level? if u are taking about a lappy that costs 40k and has a ati's lower-than-the-lowest-pc-gfx then yes there is a huge difference, but once u begin to go up say a M-5870 with 1GB GDDR5 the difference boils down to 1-3fps. But if u are serious about gaming then a Laptop is not the optimum choice unless u travel non stop and really cant miss the update of ME2/SC2.

Compatibility wont be a problem, a pcie2 card will work with a pcie2 mobo all the way from bangalooru to belfast but the PSUs might be a different story so except that everything else is fair game. It may seem cheaper there but if one of your beloved costing high-as-a-horse GPUs conk off u are left with a costliest paperweight. So take that into account too.

@Joy,nice for u mate, but dont do it again for some time.. a long time for that matter.

Edited by memnom

@Joy,nice for u mate, but dont do it again for some time.. a long time for that matter.

Why is that ? I did do it twice though :fear:

I use Disk keeper , so it always shows Warning as disk space is less while defragmenting, even though I have 50GB remaining in the HDD.

fragmentation occurs when a drive has a lot of random reads and writes which in turn makes the blocks non-contiguous so it takes more time to read and write, so u defragment it, like ur OS partition, ur Apps/Games Partition. Ur external hdd is not going to have that much fragmenting for u to defrag it like that on a regular basis. So dial down the defrag for like once in 3 months that too if u find the disc to be noticeably slower.

@Joy, i wasnt lecturing on defrag bruv, im just saying its no big deal.

@infinity: 1. The same 3.5mm on the PC side of the cable, but on the speaker side it may be different. [meaning its the same ol' 3.5mm]

2. I dont get the question.

Edited by memnom

yup it does but i dont have a wire at the moment. i just used the standard rca cable coming with the ps3 n my stereo has slot for RED+WHITE rca pins . so i just hooked them up n it worked. but i m not getting surround sound even after selecting 'surround sound' in my stereo. so i wanted to know if we get surround sound with just the rca wire

yup it does but i dont have a wire at the moment. i just used the standard rca cable coming with the ps3 n my stereo has slot for RED+WHITE rca pins . so i just hooked them up n it worked. but i m not getting surround sound even after selecting 'surround sound' in my stereo. so i wanted to know if we get surround sound with just the rca wire

No you cannot get surround sound through the rca wire. You will only get stereo through those. To get surround sound on Ps3 you need to use Digital optical or get it through the HDMI cable on the TV(If your TV has surround sound speakers built in) i beleive.

I dont know how surround sound on PC works though. Do i need to install a special sound card on my motherboard on a custom built PC to get surroun sound support? Also how do i get digital optical output on PC?

I dont know how surround sound on PC works though. Do i need to install a special sound card on my motherboard on a custom built PC to get surroun sound support? Also how do i get digital optical output on PC?

What motherboard do you have? Onboard audio from Realtek perhaps?

The HDMI 5.1 sound, you need to put the HDMI cable from PS3 to HDMI In of your AMP and then HDMI out from there to TV.

Getting surround sound on PC, you need a sound card which supports Optical In

^^ Hmm.. , try calling SMC in Nehru Place , New Delhi , they might be able to tell you since they are official distributors of CM products in India.

U can find their contact info on their site. - http://smcinternational.in/

fine thanks..