[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

Guys, is it safe to pick up used SSD from places like ebay? Seeing a lot of listings like these -

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Intel-180-GB-SSD-6-Gbps-Speed-I-Solid-State-Drive-I-520-Series-I-A-Grade-/272437785849?hash=item3f6e8eb4f9:g:~QIAAOSw44BYHIl2

The price seems pretty reasonable. I am thinking of upgrading my HTPC and this would be perfect.

Anyone has any experience of this?

Been using a similar Samsung 256gb drive for the past 2 years almost.. No issue till now..

I think they are mostly drives removed from office laptops which have been upgraded..

Current Build

Option 1: I have an option to upgrade from i7-6700K to i7-6850K for almost free. This means I have to change the mother board as well.
Option 2: EVGA 1080 FTW has been amazing but would like to upgrade to 1080Ti to keep playing recent games at 1440p, everything on ultra.

Is the CPU upgrade worth it?

^ No need to buff up the CPU, try to over-clock it a bit if you have a compatible board and good enough cooler.

About the GTX1080Ti, eh! I would avoid it because I do not see it capable of maxing out everything at ULTRA beyond a quarter, tops two of its release (nature of PC Gaming). A much more worthy upgrade would be a Volta GPU on release.

is there any online shop in India from where i can buy server parts? i.e those 2U/4U Rack chassis and stuff.

PrimeABGB/MDComputers/SMCInternational dont seem to keep server parts.

i thought smc keeps such parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is there any online shop in India from where i can buy server parts? i.e those 2U/4U Rack chassis and stuff.

PrimeABGB/MDComputers/SMCInternational dont seem to keep server parts.

You will need to contact the shops themselves, if they do not stock they should manage to put you in touch with SI who do deal in these parts.

Help.

My computer sometimes randomly doesn't boot up. It'll just show me the first intel screen and just stay there. Sometimes it'll boot up but not old my hard disk (booting from ssd) and sometimes won't boot the cd drive. Any idea why this is happening ?

Help.

My computer sometimes randomly doesn't boot up. It'll just show me the first intel screen and just stay there. Sometimes it'll boot up but not old my hard disk (booting from ssd) and sometimes won't boot the cd drive. Any idea why this is happening ?

you mean its stuck on the splash screen?

Help.

Can you log into the BIOS / UEFI of your system? If yes, can you post any screenshots of the same or else something else related to this.

I would suggest you disassemble and reassemble your PC once, cleaning the components and reseating everything proper as well.

Also because you have sporadic boots, I would suggest you eliminate all other drives and keep only from the drive it is booting from successfully and see if you can isolate this to be a media issue.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

It's not stuck in a loop it just sometimes decides to not boot up or take a really long time. It also sometimes just restarts even though I hit shut down.

Is it during high load situations or is it at random?

My desktop PC's 1TB seagate hard drive is in need of an upgrade..

How is this one? - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JPLOQQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It is going to cost me about 6750 to get it via amazon.com.. So I feel its very good price for a 3TB 7200rpm drive..

Looking for more advise on the drive if anyone has experience and also whether to go for it (since its imported n no warranty here) or not ??