[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

arjun

What are you facing the issue with? Which step fails for you?

I get stereo output on spdif eventhough I should get DTS or Dolby digital live. According to creative website their licence was expired so they removed it from their software across systems. I can hardly hear anything from my system. When I connect my headphones

need suggestions for case fans

i already have a 2x front intake and 1x back exhaust(all stock fans) so need 2x top exhaust fans and 1x bottom intake fan

i basically want good fans that can move lots of air and should have PWM based controls

also all my case fan headers are occupied on mobo,how to connect these fans?

need suggestions for case fans
i already have a 2x front intake and 1x back exhaust(all stock fans) so need 2x top exhaust fans and 1x bottom intake fan
i basically want good fans that can move lots of air and should have PWM based controls
also all my case fan headers are occupied on mobo,how to connect these fans?

There's something called splitter which allows you to join 2 headers into one.

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

You can look at these if you want something good and cheap

If you want something more RGB, take a look at Cooler Master's MasterFan Air RGB series. Pricier but then RGB or if you want, turn off the RGB, they look good spinning transparent too. 

By the way, why do you need case fans? Don't you already have a couple? 

You can get fan splitters from eBay at dirt cheap prices

Edited by ALPHA17

38 minutes ago, ALPHA17 said:

He doesn't need more fans. All he needs to do is take apart his setup so that he can thoroughly clean out the dust from the cabinet as well as the dust that has accumulated on the motherboard, cabinet fans, PSU fans and the fan-heat sink assembly of his graphics card. He could improve airflow by relocating the cabinet if it has been in a location with restricted airflow. But cleaning out his cabinet will result in a noticeable drop in temperature right away. No sense in installing a brand new CPU heatsink inside a dusty PC. He really should've cleaned out his cabinet before installing the new CPU heatsink.

13 minutes ago, pixeljunkie said:

He doesn't need more fans. All he needs to do is take apart his setup so that he can thoroughly clean out the dust from the cabinet as well as the dust that has accumulated on the motherboard, cabinet fans, PSU fans and the fan-heat sink assembly of his graphics card. He could improve airflow by relocating the cabinet if it has been in a location with restricted airflow. But cleaning out his cabinet will result in a noticeable drop in temperature right away. No sense in installing a brand new CPU heatsink inside a dusty PC. He really should've cleaned out his cabinet before installing the new CPU heatsink.

I can speak for myself :rofl:

1 hour ago, ALPHA17 said:

You can look at these if you want something good and cheap

If you want something more RGB, take a look at Cooler Master's MasterFan Air RGB series. Pricier but then RGB or if you want, turn off the RGB, they look good spinning transparent too. 

You can get fan splitters from eBay at dirt cheap prices

need fans blowing out on the top to keep the dust from setting on my VRM's/Back of GPU/hyper 212 heatsink fins

and one fan on bottom to balance out the "static pressure"

16 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

need fans blowing out on the top to keep the dust from setting on my VRM's/Back of GPU/hyper 212 heatsink fins

and one fan on bottom to balance out the "static pressure"

Air would anyway rise up out of the top vent (if any) so no point populating that slot unless you absolutely need to. Also, dust will settle irrespective of fan or no fan. 

Bottom fan, do you mean on the chassis floor, if yes, avoid putting a fan down there. It will only disturb the airflow from the front of the chassis. 

• Like 1

Hey guys facing an issue with one of my laptops. It was working fine a few days back but now it refuses to show any of my home wifi connections in the list. I know the wifi adapter seems to be working because it lists my neighbours wifi connections as well as connects to the hotspot on my phone. I've rebooted both routers etc. It does not show my either of my home wifi routers. What do I do? It's been 3 days now.

13 minutes ago, Walker said:

Hey guys facing an issue with one of my laptops. It was working fine a few days back but now it refuses to show any of my home wifi connections in the list. I know the wifi adapter seems to be working because it lists my neighbours wifi connections as well as connects to the hotspot on my phone. I've rebooted both routers etc. It does not show my either of my home wifi routers. What do I do? It's been 3 days now.

did you set one of those "don't broadcast SSID " settings to on?

11 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

did you set one of those "don't broadcast SSID " settings to on?

No. That's the first thing I confirmed. Both routers are broadcasting SSID. This is driving me up the wall.

2 hours ago, Walker said:

No. That's the first thing I confirmed. Both routers are broadcasting SSID. This is driving me up the wall.

device manager. network devices. repair if there is a yellow exclamation mark. if not then stop and restart network adapter. Also try clicking on the right side wifi symbol and try turning it off and on again. 

I've already tried all of this. 

Here's some stuff I've done so far.

-Switched off and on WiFi adaptor.

-Restarted routers and laptop.

-Checked device manager.

-Connected to phone hotspot (it worked)

-Deleted known networks and tried to manually create a connection. (Didnt connect to either router and neither shows in the list of available networks.)

-Damn thing shows all other WiFi networks i.e. neighbours WiFi etc.

-Uninstalled and reinstalled adaptor.

-Wtf am I missing here?

Don't want to reset my routers because both are being used and I'd have to stop work.

It's not your router. It's your laptop. Windows has messed up drivers. I too have this issue when my WiFi suddenly disappears and I have to reset many times for my WiFi to see. I can. See on my phone but not on my laptop. Try switching off the adaptor and troubleshoot. It will reset the device and should work.

3 hours ago, djanuj said:

It's not your router. It's your laptop. Windows has messed up drivers. I too have this issue when my WiFi suddenly disappears and I have to reset many times for my WiFi to see. I can. See on my phone but not on my laptop. Try switching off the adaptor and troubleshoot. It will reset the device and should work.

5 hours ago, Walker said:

I've already tried all of this. 

Here's some stuff I've done so far.

-Switched off and on WiFi adaptor.

-Restarted routers and laptop.

-Checked device manager.

-Connected to phone hotspot (it worked)

-Deleted known networks and tried to manually create a connection. (Didnt connect to either router and neither shows in the list of available networks.)

-Damn thing shows all other WiFi networks i.e. neighbours WiFi etc.

-Uninstalled and reinstalled adaptor.

-Wtf am I missing here?

Don't want to reset my routers because both are being used and I'd have to stop work.

I guess you misunderstood what I said. Keep on doing that adaptor closing and troubleshooting etc. There will be a point when you laptop will see the wireless SSID. The drivers are the issue. In my case my laptop randomly disconnects and doesn't show my WiFi. Even when my phone is clearly connected to the WiFi. After many failed attempt I was fed up so connected my lan cable. It gave me internet but I couldn't roam around. Then because I was frustrated I disabled adaptor and troubleshoot the network which reset the settings. I did that multiple times so eventually I could see the router. Btw My laptop still randomly disconnects but less frequently now.

I guess it's connected with power management. Because I noticed of my laptop is overheating etc this issue arises.

35 minutes ago, djanuj said:

I guess you misunderstood what I said. Keep on doing that adaptor closing and troubleshooting etc. There will be a point when you laptop will see the wireless SSID. The drivers are the issue. In my case my laptop randomly disconnects and doesn't show my WiFi. Even when my phone is clearly connected to the WiFi. After many failed attempt I was fed up so connected my lan cable. It gave me internet but I couldn't roam around. Then because I was frustrated I disabled adaptor and troubleshoot the network which reset the settings. I did that multiple times so eventually I could see the router. Btw My laptop still randomly disconnects but less frequently now.

I guess it's connected with power management. Because I noticed of my laptop is overheating etc this issue arises.

I didn't misunderstand. I've done that multiple times over the past 3 days and it's still the same. The problem is not that it cannot find wireless networks because it detects wireless networks. It just doesn't detect my home wireless networks. It can detect my phone hotspot and neighbours wireless as well as my wireless dongle. It just doesn't detect my home WiFi.

I've gone thru a lot of guides and YouTube videos but I'm unable to find anything that has this specific issue. All the guides I've seen are concerned with no wireless devices are detected whereas what I'm facing is weird in that only my home wifi networks are not detected on this specific laptop.

I didn't misunderstand. I've done that multiple times over the past 3 days and it's still the same. The problem is not that it cannot find wireless networks because it detects wireless networks. It just doesn't detect my home wireless networks. It can detect my phone hotspot and neighbours wireless as well as my wireless dongle. It just doesn't detect my home WiFi.

I've gone thru a lot of guides and YouTube videos but I'm unable to find anything that has this specific issue. All the guides I've seen are concerned with no wireless devices are detected whereas what I'm facing is weird in that only my home wifi networks are not detected on this specific laptop.

Same. Even mine did the same. I could see my neighbour WiFi too. Anyhow I guess my solution is not your solution. Hope you fix your problem and let us know what you did.