Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
arjun

[PC] Ask The Experts Thread

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2019 at 9:41 PM, Aftrunner said:

Quick update for anyone who is interested. Got the Asrock B450 Pro4 and its actually pretty good. 

 

Well spaced layout. Plenty of fan and SATA connections. Easy to build in as well. Also worked pretty smoothly with the XMP profiles for my RAM as well. 

 

I may as well be getting the same mobo soon. A few queries,

Are you able to run the RAM @ the rated specs? 

And did you try overclocking the CPU? How much were you able to achieve?

Edited by Ram Dante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ram Dante said:

 

I may as well be getting the same mobo soon. A few queries,

Are you able to run the RAM @ the rated specs? 

And did you try overclocking the CPU? How much were you able to achieve?

 

Running RAM at the rated 3000 Mhz. No issues so far. 

 

Havent tried to overclock. I will probably get a better CPU cooler before I even attempt that. For now anyway, I dont need to, cause the CPU is not really lagging behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Defender487 said:

Should I upgrade 60hz monitor to 144hz or 165hz with rx480 4gb or upgrade the gpu as well

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

 

What games do you play? 

 

That GPU (depending on your CPU) could do 144hz on CSGO/Dota/Rocket League. Maybe Apex and PUBG if you turned down the settings a lot. 

 

But really, a 144hz monitor would be wasted on that GPU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aftrunner said:

 

What games do you play? 

 

That GPU (depending on your CPU) could do 144hz on CSGO/Dota/Rocket League. Maybe Apex and PUBG if you turned down the settings a lot. 

 

But really, a 144hz monitor would be wasted on that GPU. 

that means an upgrade overall

coz i want to change se2416h dell monitor to something really good

Edited by Defender487

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to assemble a pc for a friend mainly for 1080p video editing works (little to no gaming). Max budget is 90k. Need thoughts and opinions from people in the same profession.

1. The GPU. I'm thinking of getting the RX 570 4GB for 11k or so. The other option is the GTX 1650. I have no idea about their performance on video editing softwares like Adobe's. Read that Cuda should be preferred. How legit is this claim? And what % difference does it have from AMD's? Getting the Zotac GTX 1650 Super 4GB.

2. Friend wants the Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus SSD. The motherboard which I chose is the Gigabyte B450M DS3H. Would like someone to confirm that the motherboard supports this Nvme without any issue. For your convenience here is the link of the motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp It is compatible.

The CPU will be R5 3600. 

3. The RAM. Would 16GB suffice or will he need 32GB? Planning of getting a standard Corsair LPX 3000MHz/3200MHz. Would timing affect the performance? Absolutely no cpu OC'ing. 

4. Hard disk for media storage. Planning to get two of WD 1TB EZEX 7200RPM than other cheaper but slower 2TB variants.

5. Keyboard: what mechanical switches do you guys feel that he will like it? He has never used a mechanical keyboard before. I wanted to order the TVS but apparently TVS has stopped producing them with Cherry MX keys. Now only Long Hua. I'm thinking CM Pro L white led (comes in blue, red and brown iirc). Can't find the brown anywhere anymore.

6. PSU: the tried and tested Seasonic S12II 529/620. M models are out of stock. I don't know about the OEM's of other PSU's. Another option: Corsair RM650 for 9k. Apparently this is a cwt model with Chinese stuff somewhere.

7. Mouse: Steelseries Rival.

8. CPU cooler: has anyone used any new air cooler? Absolutely no water cooler. Only air.

Please understand that I don't want to buy something which he doesn't/won't need. I'd rather have him invest in more important components. 

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks. 

Edited by SonicDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, SonicDave said:

I need to assemble a pc for a friend mainly for 1080p video editing works (little to no gaming). Max budget is 90k. Need thoughts and opinions from people in the same profession.

1. The GPU. I'm thinking of getting the RX 570 4GB for 11k or so. The other option is the GTX 1650. I have no idea about their performance on video editing softwares like Adobe's. Read that Cuda should be preferred. How legit is this claim? And what % difference does it have from AMD's? 

2. Friend wants the Samsung Nvme 970 Evo Plus SSD. The motherboard which I chose is the Gigabyte B450M DS3H. Would like someone to confirm that the motherboard supports this Nvme without any issue. For your convenience here is the link of the motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-10/sp#sp

The CPU will be R5 3600. 

3. The RAM. Would 16GB suffice or will he need 32GB? Planning of getting a standard Corsair LPX 3000MHz/3200MHz. Would timing affect the performance? Absolutely no cpu OC'ing. 

4. Hard disk for media storage. Planning to get two of WD 1TB EZEX 7200RPM than other cheaper but slower 2TB variants.

5. Keyboard: what mechanical switches do you guys feel that he will like it? He has never used a mechanical keyboard before. I wanted to order the TVS but apparently TVS has stopped producing them with Cherry MX keys. Now only Long Hua. I'm thinking CM Pro L white led (comes in blue, red and brown iirc). Can't find the brown anywhere anymore.

6. PSU: the tried and tested Seasonic S12II 529/620. M models are out of stock. I don't know about the OEM's of other PSU's. Another option: Corsair RM650 for 9k. Apparently this is a cwt model with Chinese stuff somewhere.

 7. Mouse: Steelseries Rival.

8. CPU cooler: has anyone used any new air cooler? Absolutely no water cooler. Only air.

Please understand that I don't want to buy something which he doesn't/won't need. I'd rather have him invest in more important components. 

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks. 

 

Sharing what I know.

 

1. Have no clue about RX GPU series or about to video editing. So gonna pass on that one.

2. Evo 970 is a great SSD. But it's gonna cost a pretty penny or you may have to compromise on the capacity. Check with your friend on whether he really needs it. I'd suggest getting a SATA one and use the rest of the money to probably upgrade to a better video card.

3. 16GB should be good for 1080p video editing. Others can comment if I am wrong. 

4. There's a Seagate variant that runs at 7200 RPM and has 2TB capacity.

5. Mechanical if he plans on gaming/extensive typing. Else not worth it. 

6. Corsair is good. You can go for their 500/650 semi modular ones/ I personally have an Antec EAG 650W Gold (semi modular) that cost me a bit less than 6k. It's basically a rebranded Seasonic model.

7. Why Steelseries if he isn't gonna be gaming? Might as well use the money on other items.

8. Cooler: Don't need for Ryzen 3600. The Stealth that comes with it is good. If he runs into thermal issues, can get the Hyper 212 black from CoolerMaster.

 

Motherboard: I've a X570 from Gigabyte. Their B450M board is decent from what I've heard. You can check with /u/eddie_edits (GB rep on Reddit) for more info regarding compat. Most folks going for a B450 board seem to prefer the AsRock Steel Legend though or the MSI Mortar. Though I've heard that Gigabyte one is also decent.

 

Go for a good mesh case with good ventilation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

 

Sharing what I know.

 

1. Have no clue about RX GPU series or about to video editing. So gonna pass on that one.

2. Evo 970 is a great SSD. But it's gonna cost a pretty penny or you may have to compromise on the capacity. Check with your friend on whether he really needs it. I'd suggest getting a SATA one and use the rest of the money to probably upgrade to a better video card.

3. 16GB should be good for 1080p video editing. Others can comment if I am wrong. 

4. There's a Seagate variant that runs at 7200 RPM and has 2TB capacity.

5. Mechanical if he plans on gaming/extensive typing. Else not worth it. 

6. Corsair is good. You can go for their 500/650 semi modular ones/ I personally have an Antec EAG 650W Gold (semi modular) that cost me a bit less than 6k. It's basically a rebranded Seasonic model.

7. Why Steelseries if he isn't gonna be gaming? Might as well use the money on other items.

8. Cooler: Don't need for Ryzen 3600. The Stealth that comes with it is good. If he runs into thermal issues, can get the Hyper 212 black from CoolerMaster.

 

Motherboard: I've a X570 from Gigabyte. Their B450M board is decent from what I've heard. You can check with /u/eddie_edits (GB rep on Reddit) for more info regarding compat. Most folks going for a B450 board seem to prefer the AsRock Steel Legend though or the MSI Mortar. Though I've heard that Gigabyte one is also decent.

 

Go for a good mesh case with good ventilation. 

 

Appreciate the reply.

1. GPU: Just got a reply from a professional who suggested the new Nvidia GTX 1650 Super/1660 Super. So going for the Zotac GTX 1650 Super Twin fans.

2. SSD: He wants an SSD and specifically chose that one. Heck I plan to get the 500GB variant if budget allows. :P 

4. Heard so many negative feedback about Seagate aftersales over the years. Can't risk it.
5. Not sure about this one. Mechs are also great in general day to day use. 

6. PSU: Is it this one? https://mdcomputers.in/antec-650-watt-80-plus-gold-semi-modular-ea650g-pro.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

7. Mouse: comfortability which standard mouse doesn't provide. Can always take it out from the list anytime.

As for the motherboard, since he's just an average user I'm going for the standard model. "Gaming" branded ones easily start at 8-9k. I thought I should put the budget to more storage. More storage is always better for media people. 

For the case, Cooler Master MB500 https://mdcomputers.in/cooler-master-masterbox-mb500-mid-tower-mcb-b500d-kgnn-s00.html

BTW has anyone used Deepcool chassis? How are their quality? Thinking of getting this one for another build https://mdcomputers.in/deepcool-e-shield-mid-tower-tempered-glass-dp-atx-e-shield.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC But it doesn't have any front fan unlike the CM above so thats a pain.

Edited by SonicDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the long post.

 

I have a 2016 gaming PC which is not performing up to expectations recently. The specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-6300

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

RAM: HyperX 8GB DDR3 RAM

PSU: Corsair VS450W

HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 500GB HDD

Cabinet: Circle CC819 full tower cabinet

 

I intend to upgrade the PC for around Rs. 35k and buy the following parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF/AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: Zotac GTX 1660 AMP/Zotac GTX 1660 Super/Inno3D GTX 1660 Super

Motherboard: A320M motherboard/B450M motherboard (for AMD)

RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM (2,400MHz/3,000MHz)

SSD: WD Green/Kingston 240GB SSD (only if there is enough money left)

Cabinet: AeroCool Bolt mid tower cabinet (needed as my older cabinet has become dented & cracked)

 

As you can see, I haven't been able to make the final decision on some of the parts. I have a few questions regarding this. They are:

1. Will the Ryzen 5 1600 AF be released in India? If so, what do you thing the price will be? Will it be closer to the $85 price as it is in the US or will it be pricier? When do you think it might be released?

2. Which CPU should I go for? If the 1600 AF doesn't release in India, should I buy the 1600? The i3 9100F isn't a very good gaming CPU because of just 4 threads from what I hear. Is that correct? Is there any other good option available for ~Rs. 8,000/-?

3. The 1660 AMP is available for ~Rs. 17,500/- here in Kolkata. The 1660 Super costs more than Rs. 19,000/-. Is the extra price worth the extra 7-10 fps? Also, the 1660 Super is running at stock speed, and has to be overclocked manually, whereas the 1660 AMP is factory overclocked with an arguably better cooler. As price is a concern, should I go for the 1660 AMP for its better clock speed, or should I spend the extra Rs. 1,500/- and go for GDDR6 memory? Also, are Inno3D cards good? They are cheaper than other brands' cards.

4. How much difference does the motherboard chip make? I don't intend to overclock. Do I need a chip like the B450M? Or should I save money and go for a cheaper chip?

5. The motherboard can support 2,666MHZ RAM non-OC'd. Should I save some money & go for a 2,400MHz RAM or should I buy a 3,000MHz RAM and overclock the supported frequency? I don't want to overclock right now. However, I'm told that Ryzen CPUs are very memory sensitive and benefit from faster RAM. Is 2,400MHz enough for a Ryzen 5?

6. How much difference can I expect if I install an SSD and transfer my OS & games to it? Should I spend a little extra & go for it?

7. I like the AeroCool Bolt cabinet. Can you please tell me if it's a good option or should I buy something else? Also, there is no dust filter at the front of this cabinet. If I install one or two fans there, will the internal components become covered with dust?

8. Will my current PSU be enough for the new build?

9. What sort of price can I expect if I sell my old PC parts?

 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

1. Will the Ryzen 5 1600 AF be released in India? If so, what do you thing the price will be? Will it be closer to the $85 price as it is in the US or will it be pricier? When do you think it might be released?

It should release soon but you never know since they released the Ryzen 5 3500 only in Asian market and its not available in the US. If it releases, the price should be under 10k. From what I have seen the lower and mid range AMD CPU prices tend to be in the same ball park as US prices.
 

29 minutes ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

2. Which CPU should I go for? If the 1600 AF doesn't release in India, should I buy the 1600? The i3 9100F isn't a very good gaming CPU because of just 4 threads from what I hear. Is that correct? Is there any other good option available for ~Rs. 8,000/-?

Why not buy the 3500 right now? You can get it for about 9.5k using SBI card on amazon - https://www.amazon.in/AMD-Generation-Desktop-Processor-Socket/dp/B07YZR314W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ryzen+3500&qid=1579605431&smid=AJRK4JF48YXA&sr=8-1
It will perform better in games as compared to the 1600 AF and probably last for 3~5 years more.

 

30 minutes ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

3. The 1660 AMP is available for ~Rs. 17,500/- here in Kolkata. The 1660 Super costs more than Rs. 19,000/-. Is the extra price worth the extra 7-10 fps? Also, the 1660 Super is running at stock speed, and has to be overclocked manually, whereas the 1660 AMP is factory overclocked with an arguably better cooler. As price is a concern, should I go for the 1660 AMP for its better clock speed, or should I spend the extra Rs. 1,500/- and go for GDDR6 memory? Also, are Inno3D cards good? They are cheaper than other brands' cards.

Get the Super card. The additional memory bandwidth will help in the longer run. Dont think of it as 7-10fps difference. Consider it as a 10% performance bump over the normal 1660 for the extra 1500.
I think Inno3D are a subsidiary of zotac. Not 100% sure though.

 

1 hour ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

4. How much difference does the motherboard chip make? I don't intend to overclock. Do I need a chip like the B450M? Or should I save money and go for a cheaper chip?

It just depends on what features you need out of a board. B450 will give you additional features like more pcie lanes, additional usb 3.1 ports, m.2 slots etc.
IMO just get a cheap b450 board like the asrock b450 pro for about 7k - https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock+B450+Pro4+AMD+AM4+Socket+Motherboard_C13P30709.html

 

1 hour ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

5. The motherboard can support 2,666MHZ RAM non-OC'd. Should I save some money & go for a 2,400MHz RAM or should I buy a 3,000MHz RAM and overclock the supported frequency? I don't want to overclock right now. However, I'm told that Ryzen CPUs are very memory sensitive and benefit from faster RAM. Is 2,400MHz enough for a Ryzen 5?

Ryzen 1st gen and 2nd CPUs are memory sensitive and not all memory chips work at advertised speeds when coupled with these CPUs. However these problems are mostly non-existent with the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.
RAM is cheap right now so I would suggest to just go for the 3000Mhz chips. Rumor is that RAM n SSD prices may go up later this year.

 

1 hour ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

6. How much difference can I expect if I install an SSD and transfer my OS & games to it? Should I spend a little extra & go for it?

Simply put, OS on SSD will make the whole PC usage experience more snappier. Operations like boot up, opening apps, browsing etc will be fast.
Games on SSD will just speed up the loading times. I would say this is not that big of a deal. Also AAA games these days are about 80~100GB in size. So you would probably need a higher capacity drive to keep games which will end up costing more.

 

1 hour ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

7. I like the AeroCool Bolt cabinet. Can you please tell me if it's a good option or should I buy something else? Also, there is no dust filter at the front of this cabinet. If I install one or two fans there, will the internal components become covered with dust?

I dont see any space for intake in that case. The whole front is covered with plastic. That is bad for air flow and overall cooling. 
I have this cabinet - https://www.amazon.in/Ant-Esports-ICE-511MT-Micro-ATX-Motherboard/dp/B0813C8PYB/ref=lp_1375346031_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1579610755&sr=1-6
Most of the front is mesh which acts as dust filter and doesnt hamper the air flow. Also you get 4 RGB fans with it which is worth the price difference.

 

1 hour ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

8. Will my current PSU be enough for the new build?

The gtx 1660 super recommended power requirement is 450W. So you can may be get by with the current PSU for now and upgrade it later.
But VS series PSUs are not recommended by many since they are the absolute basic models with low quality components.

 

2 hours ago, Sayantan Biswas said:

9. What sort of price can I expect if I sell my old PC parts?

IMO you can expect these prices - CPU - 3k, Mobo - 1.5~2k, Ram - 1.5k, GPU - 4k

Recommended config :-
CPU - Ryzen 3500 - 10.5k
Mobo - Asrock B450 pro4 - 7k
RAM - DDR4 16gb 3000 single stick - 5.5k
GPU - Gtx 1660 Super - 19k

Total around 42k. You can recover about 10k from selling off the old parts. So net cost will be around 32k.
Add SSD and better PSU in future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5600xt is way better than 1660 super right now just saw few videos regarding at 289 $ price should get amd card which 25%+ avg performance in any game against gfo . Only two games had same fps other than that all the benchmarks of rendering software also favours amd go check out b4 purchasing .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, goDofWar_skr said:

It should release soon but you never know since they released the Ryzen 5 3500 only in Asian market and its not available in the US. If it releases, the price should be under 10k. From what I have seen the lower and mid range AMD CPU prices tend to be in the same ball park as US prices.
 

Why not buy the 3500 right now? You can get it for about 9.5k using SBI card on amazon - https://www.amazon.in/AMD-Generation-Desktop-Processor-Socket/dp/B07YZR314W/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ryzen+3500&qid=1579605431&smid=AJRK4JF48YXA&sr=8-1
It will perform better in games as compared to the 1600 AF and probably last for 3~5 years more.

 

Get the Super card. The additional memory bandwidth will help in the longer run. Dont think of it as 7-10fps difference. Consider it as a 10% performance bump over the normal 1660 for the extra 1500.
I think Inno3D are a subsidiary of zotac. Not 100% sure though.

 

It just depends on what features you need out of a board. B450 will give you additional features like more pcie lanes, additional usb 3.1 ports, m.2 slots etc.
IMO just get a cheap b450 board like the asrock b450 pro for about 7k - https://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asrock+B450+Pro4+AMD+AM4+Socket+Motherboard_C13P30709.html

 

Ryzen 1st gen and 2nd CPUs are memory sensitive and not all memory chips work at advertised speeds when coupled with these CPUs. However these problems are mostly non-existent with the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.
RAM is cheap right now so I would suggest to just go for the 3000Mhz chips. Rumor is that RAM n SSD prices may go up later this year.

 

Simply put, OS on SSD will make the whole PC usage experience more snappier. Operations like boot up, opening apps, browsing etc will be fast.
Games on SSD will just speed up the loading times. I would say this is not that big of a deal. Also AAA games these days are about 80~100GB in size. So you would probably need a higher capacity drive to keep games which will end up costing more.

 

I dont see any space for intake in that case. The whole front is covered with plastic. That is bad for air flow and overall cooling. 
I have this cabinet - https://www.amazon.in/Ant-Esports-ICE-511MT-Micro-ATX-Motherboard/dp/B0813C8PYB/ref=lp_1375346031_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1579610755&sr=1-6
Most of the front is mesh which acts as dust filter and doesnt hamper the air flow. Also you get 4 RGB fans with it which is worth the price difference.

 

The gtx 1660 super recommended power requirement is 450W. So you can may be get by with the current PSU for now and upgrade it later.
But VS series PSUs are not recommended by many since they are the absolute basic models with low quality components.

 

IMO you can expect these prices - CPU - 3k, Mobo - 1.5~2k, Ram - 1.5k, GPU - 4k

Recommended config :-
CPU - Ryzen 3500 - 10.5k
Mobo - Asrock B450 pro4 - 7k
RAM - DDR4 16gb 3000 single stick - 5.5k
GPU - Gtx 1660 Super - 19k

Total around 42k. You can recover about 10k from selling off the old parts. So net cost will be around 32k.
Add SSD and better PSU in future.

Thank you so much for your in depth reply. I'll go for it.

Edited by Sayantan Biswas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back with another question. Need a monochrome MFD Laser printer which can do duplex printing. I've seen printers which claim to do 40ppm. Would like to get something of that capability. Budget is 40k-50k. Can be increased if its justified. Would like to get answers from office workers since you'll have tried and tested the various printers in your offices. I've seen Kyocera Ecosys M2040dn being used in a local photocopy shop. Owner said it's pretty good. Paid 40k for it. 

 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:37 AM, Defender487 said:

5600xt is way better than 1660 super right now just saw few videos regarding at 289 $ price should get amd card which 25%+ avg performance in any game against gfo . Only two games had same fps other than that all the benchmarks of rendering software also favours amd go check out b4 purchasing .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 

The RX 5600 XT is also costlier at 26k and up. The 1660 Super costs a little over 20k. Too bad we don't get the US price of the RX 5600 XT. Would've been such a sweet deal. 

Edited by SonicDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if this is the right place to ask this..

 

i am gonna be travelling back to india in next few days and i was wondering if i can carry my gaming pc components along.. they would be packed in the boxes they came in..

i have the invoice to show it was purchased 6 months back.. would it be an issue with customs..?

 

any tips or suggestions would be appreciated..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...