Steam Announces Family Sharing

dylanjosh

very similar to the old PSN game sharing policies without the 5 user cap. nice move.

and being able to play them simultaneously on 5 machines too , which is now 2 I believe ? Either way , this is good because it's a start. It's beta , so would be sensible to expect it to roll out during / the last day of the winter sale for everyone.

I already hear SEGA , Capcom and most of all , Square crying so loud at valve.

inb4 Square launches a new client :P

I already hear SEGA , Capcom and most of all , Square crying so loud at valve.

inb4 Square launches a new client :P

Or they can simply opt out of Family Sharing. I doubt Valve can force anyone.

This is a good way for more people to try out indie games though.

The biggest downside is if the lender is playing any game on Steam, the borrowers can't access his library. So you both can't play at the same time, even if they're different games.

If simultaneous playing of different games is also not allowed, then as of today one might as well log in to same Steam account (email auth required) from ANY machine and play. Only downside is you don't have separate user id that gets achievements.

The biggest downside is if the lender is playing any game on Steam, the borrowers can't access his library. So you both can't play at the same time, even if they're different games.

Wait what? ok this is stupid. I can understand if we cant play the same game , but the whole library will be inaccessible? O-o. Is there any difference between this and just giving your login details to a friend?

Does this support offline mode?

Wait what? ok this is stupid. I can understand if we cant play the same game , but the whole library will be inaccessible? O-o. Is there any difference between this and just giving your login details to a friend?

The difference is that your "friend" can't steal your account or commit fraud with your payment details or scam anyone in your name or otherwise do something to compromise your account. How stupid right?

The differnce is that your "friend" can't steal your account or commit fraud with your payment details or scam anyone in your name or otherwise do something to compromise your account. How stupid right?

He wouldn't be a much of a "Friend" if he did that now would he :P

And I was just asking if there really were any differences like in offline mode etc , Its not like I was trying to down play this feature or anything. You dont have to get all butthurt sarcasm over it sheesh.

Only one person getting to play is cool , that's how real lending works anyway. Otherwise it'd end up like psn with everyone making sharing groups. If only it was shared by game rather than by account.

Archived