The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

Hi guys, which one do you recommend as a better buy. A8 plus or one plus 5T?

It would be used by by my mother-in-law and looking for a camera with decent display and reliable after service.

I'm leaning towards A8 plus since I'm a big fan of my S8 and Samsung pay is icing on cake. But heard rear camera on A8 plus is not that great. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Pacifier said:

Hi guys, which one do you recommend as a better buy. A8 plus or one plus 5T?

It would be used by by my mother-in-law and looking for a camera with decent display and reliable after service.

I'm leaning towards A8 plus since I'm a big fan of my S8 and Samsung pay is icing on cake. But heard rear camera on A8 plus is not that great. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Reliable customer service and oneplus do not go together.

Also why not S7 instead of A8? Better camera as its a flagship and its cheaper as well.

Moto Z2 force, LG G6 are also better options. 
Honestly, anything other than a8. It's strictly midrange. 
Reliable customer service and oneplus do not go together.
Also why not S7 instead of A8? Better camera as its a flagship and its cheaper as well.
Thanks guys. Let me look into those as well. I thought the performance might be better on the A8 plus given the 6gb ram and hence didn't consider s7. Now it's in my consideration.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, godspeed4476 said:

Any one having pixel 2 here? I am having serious battery drain issues after the February security update. Also Gmail doesn't push mails when battery optimisation is on, it has to be taken out of the optimisation to push mails.  

I have a Pixel 2 XL and battery drain issue has been reported by a lot of people over Reddit and Google forum ever since Feb patch, thus you aren't alone. 

I haven't played with Battery Optimization settings, on default, Gmail is being optimized but I don't have any problem with pushing mails. There is a sync setting in Gmail itself, make sure it's on and don't restrict it's background data. If it doesn't work, then try reinstalling it's updates.

Pixel 2 XL user here. Yes, I've read the battery drain issue, however, I haven't faced it. Apparently, Google will release a fix with the March Security Update.

Also, I prefer my email to not bother me, so I keep the sync off anyway, hence no push notifications.

Basically, I can't help with either of your concerns.

Yes but OmniTechRetail and SuperComNet have many 1 star negative reviews, like receiving wrong product or product not being delivered, so that is the problem as i will be ordering the phone for a relative. So just doing the needful research for a hassle free experience for them.

The Google Pixel 2 XL I use, was ordered in December was sold by OmniTechRetail.

Samsung Galaxy S7 ordered in September was sold by TrueComRetail.

LG G5 ordered in July 2016 was sold by WS Retail.

All 3 phones received without any hassles. Working absolutely fine (the LG G5 was fine even at the time I sold it), so far.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned the pixel 2 xl just curious about the current state of the color shifts of the display and burn ins.

I checked it out at croma and the phone seemed really bad, one plus 5t displayed seemed bad too. The person was trying to promote v30.

But the amount of buyers and positive reviews on flipkart makes me wonder what is really going on with pixel 2 xl.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

Since you mentioned the pixel 2 xl just curious about the current state of the color shifts of the display and burn ins.

I checked it out at croma and the phone seemed really bad, one plus 5t displayed seemed bad too. The person was trying to promote v30.

But the amount of buyers and positive reviews on flipkart makes me wonder what is really going on with pixel 2 xl.

Colour shift (blue tint) is visible when you are looking for it. Head-on (which is how most people use their phones) it's not noticeable at all.

Haven't had the burn-in issue at all. Note: By the time I bought the phone, Google had already released an update that dims the Navbar icons after a few seconds of not using it.

Also, the 'Saturated' colour mode was already out too. So, one can say that it's not a deal-breaker at all. Simply minor flaws that can be easily overlooked, which is what I choose to do.

Having said that, the display is simply not that great, in relation to the price of the phone. If this display was in a ~₹25k phone, it would've been somewhat okay. But to charge so much and overlook the display, especially compared to the competition, is simply poor by Google/LG.

The camera though. My goodness! There is not one situation that I've thrown at the camera where it hasn't done a wonderful job! Mind-bogglingly good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

My experience has been somewhat disappointing with Google, mainly because of their after sales service. 

I have already gotten my Pixel 2 XL replaced twice. First time, the wifi was DOA, they took 2 weeks to replace it. Second time, it won't charge rapidly and I mean 1% in 20mins and had the burn-in issue. This time, Google said they don't have the stock of Black/White and made me wait 32 days for it, that was completely unacceptable.

Though, the unit I have now is good enough. Some units, especially the ones manufactured in Dec/Jan, have much better screen, mine displays whites better and colors are more vibrant as compared to the display piece in Croma. 

Blue tint has been reduced and only noticeable at the edges but only if you really look for it.

At least we got 2 years warranty out of this mess.

And as VelivolusDas said, camera is simply the best and never faltered in any situation.

Colour shift (blue tint) is visible when you are looking for it. Head-on (which is how most people use their phones) it's not noticeable at all.

Haven't had the burn-in issue at all. Note: By the time I bought the phone, Google had already released an update that dims the Navbar icons after a few seconds of not using it.

Also, the 'Saturated' colour mode was already out too. So, one can say that it's not a deal-breaker at all. Simply minor flaws that can be easily overlooked, which is what I choose to do.

Having said that, the display is simply not that great, in relation to the price of the phone. If this display was in a ~₹25k phone, it would've been somewhat okay. But to charge so much and overlook the display, especially compared to the competition, is simply poor by Google/LG.

The camera though. My goodness! There is not one situation that I've thrown at the camera where it hasn't done a wonderful job! Mind-bogglingly good.

Much appreciate this honest review.

[mention=11704]kunjanp[/mention], oh man that is just scary. Glad you got a good phone out of the trials of poor customer service.

57 minutes ago, AtheK said:

As per DXO reviews, seems S9 camera has gone ahead of pixel 2 camera, that is something. 

DXO scores are very linear and a single score doesn't do the job of quantitative analysis of the performance.

S9+ got a higher score than pixel 2, not S9 and if you observe the individual scores in each test, Pixel 2 beat S9+ in every aspect but the zoom which was expected because S9+ has an additional telephoto lens.

Because of that S9+ won in Zoom, Bokeh and Noise department while in Color, HDR etc Pixel 2 reigned supreme.

Remove Zoom from the equation and S9+ loses by 3 significant points.

So if you are taking un zoomed pics, Pixel 2 is still the best out there, only consider S9+ if one's zooms a lot.

27 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

DXO scores are very linear and a single score doesn't do the job of quantitative analysis of the performance.

S9+ got a higher score than pixel 2, not S9 and if you observe the individual scores in each test, Pixel 2 beat S9+ in every aspect but the zoom which was expected because S9+ has an additional telephoto lens.

Because of that S9+ won in Zoom, Bokeh and Noise department while in Color, HDR etc Pixel 2 reigned supreme.

Remove Zoom from the equation and S9+ loses by 3 significant points.

So if you are taking un zoomed pics, Pixel 2 is still the best out there, only consider S9+ if one's zooms a lot.

This.