The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

Try buying a mi note, and you will start loving your s8 all over again. 
But to be serious isn't Redmi Note 5 a good phone? I mean people are praising it for budget as well features it packs.

Allegedly, the Google Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL and schematics made from the leaked screen protectors.

2IsUt8C.jpg

SJtSDQ6.jpg

So, the smaller one will mostly have the 18:9 screen and the bigger one will mostly be a 19:9 screen. Totally like the design of the smaller one. Hate the notch, so there's that.

Also, the smaller one is very similar to the Pixel 2 XL, which is a good thing.

3 hours ago, kold_war said:

God.... this notch trend needs to be stopped bc.....What's so good about it <_<

It let Apple keep the rest of the display bezel-less.

The copycat morons are adding that in along with bezels at the bottom. ?

4 hours ago, adity said:

No it isn't. My mom is using redmi note 5 Pro. It had too much jank like all other xiaomi phones. Microstutters all over the place because of that terrible xiaomi OS. Better to get A1. 

Much be a problem with your device. I have one at home and it works perfectly without any issues. Easily the best phone for the price.

4 hours ago, kold_war said:

God.... this notch trend needs to be stopped bc.....What's so good about it <_<

There is need to make the phone ugly nowadays, so this trend. Thankfully we have galaxy series. Phones look wonderful.

38 minutes ago, kold_war said:

Just wait.... They'll also follow that shitty trend :P

They would have already if they had to. Their designs have been much better than Apple's since galaxy s6. They don't need to copy such a shitty trend.

Edited by Sach4life

34 minutes ago, adity said:

I've used redmi note 3 and 4 too. None of then are what you'd call "smooth". They probably are good for the price but there is a noticeable difference between miui phones and phones with stock OS like A1. 

Minor differences are always going to be there. But to say that it is not a good phone, xiaomi os is terrible and there is jank all over is pure exaggeration. If they were so terrible to use, they wouldn't get so much praise from pretty much every single reviewer.

Edited by Sach4life

8 minutes ago, adity said:

Reviewers are idiots. They just want to put out their article as fast as possible. Oneplus X had glowing reviews and not even one reviewer mentioned the myriad of technical issues the phone had. 

Not everyone is an idiot. Making a blanket statement like that isn't really smart. As i said, note 5 pro works smoothly and really well and is essily the best phone for its price.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, quixote_1989 said:

S9 64GB coming to around 39k with the Samsung corp offer, after icici cashback and exchange. Soo tempting! :unsure:

Only thing stopping me is the battery backup. My 1.5 yrs old Z play still lasts 2 days(with 4-5 hours SOT) on a single charge, more if I stay indoors. Any flagship will be a huge downgrade after that.

How do I avail the Samsung corp offer ? Whats the criteria ?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys need help deciding between the Pixel 2 XL and S9+

Had almost decided to go for the Pixel 2 XL, but a friend of mine who owned one, told me that his phone had a series of hardware issues especially the screen. Not to mention B2X the service partner was a pain to deal with. Guessing that his might be a one of case, anyone else had any hardware issues with their Pixel phone ? 

1 hour ago, sid_008 said:

Had almost decided to go for the Pixel 2 XL, but a friend of mine who owned one, told me that his phone had a series of hardware issues especially the screen. Not to mention B2X the service partner was a pain to deal with. Guessing that his might be a one of case, anyone else had any hardware issues with their Pixel phone ? 

I had posted this a few months ago here. My experience is still the same.

Love the phone. Stock (massively important for me) Android P is really good. Camera still continues to amaze. Speed/performance of the device is still top-notch. Battery life is amazing, ~7 hours of SoT.

Having said all of that, I feel the S9+ is more of a complete package. :good:

Still has the headphone jack. Speed/performance will be amazing here too. Camera is very good too. Not sure about battery life, but considering it's a flagship, it should be fine. And above all, that screen. I truly feel, Samsung is the king of smartphone screens.

I'd say go with the S9+ for a more complete experience. As much as I hate Samsung's skin on top of android, they do provide some nifty inclusions to the software, which even stock Android doesn't. But, be ready for 2 gallery apps, 2 calendar apps, 2 email apps and whatnot.

Edited by VelivolusDas
  • Thanks 1

I love the s9+, and ya screen is amazing, nothing comes close. 

Regarding the bloatware, you get a software called package disabler pro, you can disable any app you want without root. So no double apps. Battery life is decent, nothing great nothing bad. I would suggest S9+, if latest OS update is not your main priority. Camera is anyway top of the line on both the phones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sid_008 said:

I discussed the issues I faced quite thoroughly on this thread a few months ago.

I had to put in a replacement request twice in a month since both had screen and charging issues.

And B2X is the worst after sales service there is, they took 20 days for the first and 2 months for the 2nd replacement since they "didn't" have panda color in stock but every representative I talked to told contradictory things thus I didn't believe their word at all.

Coming to the phone itself, it's just amazing. You haven't experienced Android in all it's glory until you use a Pixel device. Camera is probably the best out there and performance/sot has never faltered me. Don't forget that you get updates each month while with Samsung that might never be the deal.

Screen is good enough, color shift and all others problems have been solved for units manufactured post Dec '17, two of my friends got it recently and they haven't faced any problem.

But if Pure Android and quick updates aren't your thing, S9+ is a better package for all the reasons people mentioned above.

Though, I always find Samsung Phone's lag after a while, my brother in law have owned S5-S9+ and after 6 months, I find it throwing lag or glitches in UI, same happens with my batchmates in college who own S8 and S9+.

But that might be just personal use case.

S9+ is still a great phone though.

• Thanks 1

VelivolusDas, AtheK, kunjanp.....Thanks for the detailed replies guys. Appreciate the help!

For some reason I completely skipped over the lack of headphone jack on the Pixel as all I was focusing on was the camera performance. Having had an absolutely painful experience with LG G5, and having read how wonndeful B2X is, dont wish to go another issue filled experience. Guess I will go for the S9+ 

Thanks for the help !