The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

• 2 weeks later...
:wOOtjumpy:

someone else ? Must have apps free apps from ovi store ?

Well Ovi Store is really crap IMO. But the Skype application is decent if you use it and even Facebook is pretty good. There is a Twitter application called 'Gravity' but it is not free of charge. Games are really crappy and don't even bother downloading them.

74 days after the iPhone was introduced at $600 a pop (six hundred dollars), one million were sold. The Droid, at $200: 1.05 million. The Nexus One? An estimated 135,000 units. By any measure, that's a total sales flop.

These numbers don't add up because the phone is good.

The Nexus One is only sold online and though T-Mobile, but 135,000 units is a ridiculously tiny amount. Especially when the Nexus One was announced for a long time on the most popular web page in the world: The Google home page. Only the Nexus One and Google's Chrome have been announced in that sacred place, which is used by a gigazillion people every day. It's the most watched, most expensive advertising spot on the planet.

Even worse: The sales rate is declining. After its first month, the Nexus One sold 80,000 units. That's means that only 55,000 additional units sold in the next month. For a cellphone that is being named and talked about every single day by every single tech publication, and often mentioned in the mainstream media, that's quite embarrassing.

Why is this happening? Again, the Nexus One is a nice cellphone. Is it really that you can only buy it online? The iPad sold online, for a higher price and without no phone capabilities, yet it sold an estimated 152,000 units in the first weekend. And products like the Kindle are doing good sales with an online-only sales model.

shanti.. :giggle:

So I get to use a Nokia E72 for a couple of months. What essential (free) software should I install and from where? Anything else possible here?

Totally lost here. Help much appreciated.

use fexplorer.. bookmyshow, mobicast( for live cricket scores), opera mini, opera mobile, citimobile ( if u r a customer)

shanti.. :wOOtjumpy:

lol, the sales are low because of almost no marketing at all.. Look at the droid sales figures and you will know.. Motorola spent multi millions on advertising. Google didn't. Plus nexus is only available online, and that too only in very very few countries, and is not subsidized much even on t-mobile.

What I think is that this is meant to be a tech-preview model meant more for developers, not for masses (They don't need it to sell much courtesy the heavy duty money other android models are pulling in.). I say it is for devs because it comes sim-unlocked and even has an "official" way to unlock the bootloader. Yes, they allow you to unlock it, do anything you want, and hence it is going to be a huge push to the android dev community just like the ADP1.

And it's actually good for me that not many get to buy it, so it can remain exclusive and people go ooh-aah on seeing it in a place where every second guy is toting an iPhone or an iPhone clone :majesty:, waiting for the next commandment from Steve Jobs whether they can make a phone call on their toy or not..

Edited by Shantz

^^ cool in what terms? I guess all good apps are common amongst all top phone platforms these days. For me, developing on the nexus is very good but for end users, I guess looks and processing power are the only things that can differentiate it from the rest. And yeah, the gorgeous screen...

divx/xvid can be played through a couple of apps but I don't find them too good (they are a bit finicky on bit-rates, resolutions, etc)..Infact, that is one of the things I am working on right now in my free time to make divx/xvid support better. Thanks to the NDK, this is slightly easier to do as compared to doing in SDK (Can reuse a lot of existing linux stuff)

other than that, it has multi-tasking, so you can switch between apps easily..lots of custom roms available to run lean/mean machines, can even cook your own..copy paste is there...Syncing is excellent with your google account..

lol shanti i wan only kidding. but they did have an official launch so it is meant as much for consumers as for any1 else. nobody and i mean nobody likes to sell less. and that's what i hate about the mobile industry now. it's either the iPhone, or a similar phone. or a blackberry. which is just boring.

also isn't android available free of cost to anyone? how exactly does google make money off other android models?

lol shanti i wan only kidding. but they did have an official launch so it is meant as much for consumers as for any1 else. nobody and i mean nobody likes to sell less. and that's what i hate about the mobile industry now. it's either the iPhone, or a similar phone. or a blackberry. which is just boring.

also isn't android available free of cost to anyone? how exactly does google make money off other android models?

They didn't want it to sell less but they didn't expect a huge sale from it as well..hence the complete lack of marketing. All they did for marketing this phone was to put a tiny link in the google page, which wasn't even anything flashy to attract attention. They didn't go all out to sell it because 1) this is meant as a stimulous for the android development ecosystem and 2) Google will not like to compete with the handset manufacturers leading to conflict of interests. If you notice, HTC hasn't released any phones under someone else's brand name for a long time now, but they did with nexus probably because they were told the intentions behind this phone.

Also, android is free but Google is a partner to most of the phones sold and moreover as of now, most of the leading edge development on android is done by google internally and then made available to the public later.