The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

38 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Ehh I'd be worried about the day the hinge on the camera screws up and you're stuck with a weird thing jutting out

3 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Ehh I'd be worried about the day the hinge on the camera screws up and you're stuck with a weird thing jutting out

They say it is pretty good for 2 lac flips. It's a mechanical thing and you take a risk with any mechanical part anyway. I won't be too worried about it.

15 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

No complaints about the hinge on Z6, or from all the teardown videos. It was very solid. 

11 minutes ago, AtheK said:

They say it is pretty good for 2 lac flips. It's a mechanical thing and you take a risk with any mechanical part anyway. I won't be too worried about it.

Yeah. It's about 100+ flip every day for 5 years. I wouldn't worry about it. 

Anadtech's review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16016/the-asus-zenfone-7-pro-review/7

So the daylight photos are mediocre, but the low light photos (linked above) are better than Pixel and iPhones. Staggering ! 

I hope they solve the the daylight exposure issue via updates. 

26 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Android peeps, stable 11 is out. 

Checked for an update just now and it's still not here on the Pixel 2 XL.

BTW, it seems it's a pretty decent update with some really good QoL changes/additions.

I guess, it should be here in a day or so.

10 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

BTW, it seems it's a pretty decent update with some really good QoL changes/additions.

Checked with other peeps and surprisingly Indian Pixes haven't got the update. Same with my P2XL. 

Weird. 

So, the workaround is to enroll for the beta, and you get the download notification right away. I'm doing that now. 1.40 GB update. Just hoping it doesn't brick my phone or something.

This is weird, though. Can't think of any reason why the normal update wouldn't be available just in India. Even the Google OTA images page had downloads which day "Except for IN."

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

So, the workaround is to enroll for the beta, and you get the download notification right away. I'm doing that now. 1.40 GB update. Just hoping it doesn't brick my phone or something.

This is weird, though. Can't think of any reason why the normal update wouldn't be available just in India. Even the Google OTA images page had downloads which day "Except for IN."

Yeah. 

I don't want to opt in for beta as I'm not sure if it will opt out automatically or not ? Plus are they doing a seperate build for india ? Seems unlikely, but there's no reason to single out a country. 

38 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

So, after updating, the build number is the same as the rest, so I'm not sure what caused the issue in the official roll-out.

RP1A.200720.009

Yeah. What's weird is the Aug patch is 200805, July was 200705, so and so forth (they are following month numbers in build name). So it seems this is the July build for A11. 

Anyway, how is it running ? I am seeing a f**kton of disappointed users on r/googlepixel, so still unsure for beta opt in and update.

It's just ever so stutter'y on 0.5x Window/Transition/Animator animations, which is what I normally use. It's been very rare, though.

On 1x, it's proper. Not sure if it's the aging hardware of the Pixel 2 XL.

Overally, a pretty decent update. I miss one important feature from 10, though. ?

Things I like:

- Media control in the Quick Settings Pane.

- Some subtle animations (wallpaper zooming out while pulling down the notification shade.

- Notification categories.

- Native screen recorder.

Things I didn't like:

- When I'm in any app, I could access my main apps and the Google search bar by just going to the Overview screen (open apps list) and it seems it's completely gone now. Now, there's just options to take a screenshot and to select text. ? Need to dig a little bit more to see if I can have it as it was on Android 10.

Just an heads up, folks using Galaxy S8/9, S8/9+, Note 8/9 devices if you face any display issue like greenish yellow tint. Trouble with increasing / decreasing brighness causing sceen blackout.

The issue is due to software update cause by Samsung and they are giving display (side panels, back glass and battery(if lucky)) replaced FOC.

How do I know? I am a victim and got these replaced FOC

3 minutes ago, adity said:

Bro how do you go about getting a replacement? My friend has the exact same issue. Screen goes yellow and becomes weird on dropping brightness. 

https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Samsung-Note-9-Display-Discoloration-amp-Overheating-Join/td-p/4049910

More details here, join the TG group you will get some support.

1. Email the head office. Use these key words - discoloration, software update, greenish yellow tint, overheating.

2. they will ask you to visit service center

3. SC will inspect the device and give their findings to head office

4. If lucky they will approve FOC few had to fight to get that (depends on any physical damage, I had none so was smooth)

On 9/9/2020 at 3:08 AM, VelivolusDas said:

Indian Pixels are delayed iirc