The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

11 minutes ago, adity said:

Samsung also puts a much inferior Exynos processor in their phones which is 20-25% slower and still throttles more than SD variant and also gives a lower battery life. 

It's not an apples to apples comparison. 

Apple silicon is on another level even wrt 865+. There's no comparison. 

38 minutes ago, adity said:
Samsung also puts a much inferior Exynos processor in their phones which is 20-25% slower and still throttles more than SD variant and also gives a lower battery life. 

It's not an apples to apples comparison. 

That doesn't really mean anything. It is not like their Exynos variqnts are discounted anywhere (Europe) over Snapdragon counterparts. You can make a like to like comparison between UK and India (both get same chipset) and Apple's UK and India prices and comparison still holds true. Samsung's good pricing here has nothing to do with them going with Exynos chipset as those variants don't get discounted at other places either.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Edited by Sach4life

I think the mightiest big-dick feature iPhone 12 Pro has is HOLY f**king LIVE DOLBY VISION RECORDING and EDITING on phone. Literally live DV view while recording. Just talks about the level they are operating at. Crazy features, crazy price, crazier silicon. 

I wish the 12 mini is their best seller so smaller phones get some of the mojo back. 
The only thing I genuinely dislike about my 11 pro is the size. I’d exchange it for the mini if I can move it for anywhere close to 12m’s price. 

12 pro has that beautiful SS finish, a telephoto lens, and the max has LIDAR too. But they’re just too damn big. They are not one handed devices for me, and my hands are bigger than most hands. They’re also heavy.

However, that size and weight enables HDR10 Dolby Vision video recording with live preview, editing, and filters, at full 4K 60fps! God fkn damn. :O 
Apple’s camera game is intense. 

As for the event, love how they show the campus and this time they showed jaw-dropping sweeps in night-time, sort of complementing the night-mode improvements in iPhone cameras and general dark themed slides. What a staggeringly beautiful place. Would love to visit some day. 

I think they were a little too quick to remove the power adapters. We just got USB-C adapters from 11 pro onwards. That was only a year ago. Most new buyers won’t have an adapter to plug in their new 12s. And most would have the slower kind of adapter because apple included the 18w last year only. However, like with AirPods, if you’ve moved on to Qi it doesn’t make a difference. 

EarPods is also a weird omission. They don’t last. I haven’t touched mine since I started using AirPods but when I did use EarPods, they didn’t last too long outside warranty. So “use your existing ones” doesn’t work. 

A “pick one for $9.99” with your new purchase option would’ve hit the sweet spot for now. Let’s see how it plays out. Though the packaging and logistical improvements are immense, this is a little like sanding your head as an ostrich. 

With the 12, they’ve made a much clearer case for the pro (max). The added size probably allows them to add tech and so this time again there’s a difference between the two “pros” in addition to just screen size. This makes the smaller pro seem short-changed in comparison. 

If I was in the market for a new phone and if the pro was at par with the max, I could’ve maybe thought of the pro. But it’s not, so picking the mini is a much easier decision. It’s also the least costly, and I believe the blue looks better on aluminium. 

Edited by achilles

2 hours ago, adity said:

I was looking at the Dubai prices where 12 Pro is 83k ish and thought, "Wow! Great price". What has world come to, lol. 85k phones and I'm thinking great price. 

:fear: I did exactly the same, but I thought why not go to Dubai, buy a PS5 + iPhone still works out cheaper with flight ticket..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

So, S20 FE is $700 in US and is launched at 50k here, over which you also get a 4k cashback offer at launch. Iphone 12 mini's $700 price tag means 70k for India. Amazing

Samsung has local manufacturing (Noida), so almost all products hit local pricing. 

1 hour ago, achilles said:

With the 12, they’ve made a much clearer case for the pro (max). The added size probably allows them to add tech and so this time again there’s a difference between the two “pros” in addition to just screen size. This makes the smaller pro seem short-changed in comparison. 

If I was in the market for a new phone and if the pro was at par with the max, I could’ve maybe thought of the pro. But it’s not, so picking the mini is a much easier decision. It’s also the least costly, and I believe the blue looks better on aluminium. 

The usual Pro does not make sense now. At that price, Pro Max is marginally costlier, and you get better camera.

2 minutes ago, PSFooty7 said:

If I recall correctly the only way to view Dolby Vision content recorded on iPhone 12 Pro will be via Airplay 2 on a supported LG/Sony OLED panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On any DV display I guess. Why just LG/Sony ? Don't forget the phones themselves lol. 

The pricing is sooooo crazy. 12 Pro Max in US with all taxes is around 88k. 1.29 lacs in India. Almost a 50% bump. f**king HELL. 

• Like 1

On any DV display I guess. Why just LG/Sony ? Don't forget the phones themselves lol. 

The pricing is sooooo crazy. 12 Pro Max in US with all taxes is around 88k. 1.29 lacs in India. Almost a 50% bump. f**king HELL. 

Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision. Only HDR10 and 10+ is supported.
And Airplay 2 + Dolby Vision combination is only available in Sony and LG TVs in India.

With 4k 60 fps and 10 or 12 bit colour, you would want a larger display to truly view such content.

Pricing is outrageous to say the least. No pro motion display just ends the excitement for me.

7 minutes ago, PSFooty7 said:

Samsung TVs don't support Dolby Vision. Only HDR10 and 10+ is supported.
And Airplay 2 + Dolby Vision combination is only available in Sony and LG TVs in India.

With 4k 60 fps and 10 or 12 bit colour, you would want a larger display to truly view such content.

Pricing is outrageous to say the least. No pro motion display just ends the excitement for me.

I guess some Toshiba TVs have also launched with DV. 

From what the rumors say, it was a toss between 5G and Pro Motion to keep the prices within that range. Apple chose 5G. 

30 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I guess some Toshiba TVs have also launched with DV. 

From what the rumors say, it was a toss between 5G and Pro Motion to keep the prices within that range. Apple chose 5G. 

WOW i am so thankful to apple...DV in real life would hardly be of much use to majority of people, it's just madhouse nothing else.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AtheK said:

WOW i am so thankful to apple...DV in real life would hardly be of much use to majority of people, it's just madhouse nothing else.

ePenis, bruh. 

But honestly, it's a hallmark of the power of Apple silicon and ISP. 

35 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Lol and you go to Twitter and see iSheep Jonathan Morrison trying to convince MKBD and others that DV will mean much more to regular audience than 120hz. Always sucking Apple's teet.

5 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

ePenis, bruh. 

But honestly, it's a hallmark of the power of Apple silicon and ISP. 

Ya they have always been ahead with the SOC, the only class leading thing they have had in the phones from sometime now, it's a non debate.

That said where has this world moved to, Phones touching 1.6 lacs, it's not even funny anymore, it's appaling. Ok samsung is asking for a premium for the foldable phone, though it's sadly priced too, atleast still it gets you some novelty. But iPhone  what the hell man, no innovation, churning a design which has been around for ages, and that Notch, what is that notch, looks sad. As some one who supports and loves Tech, i am just sad that Apple except it's SOC has not delivered anything worthwhile on phone tech from past few years. It's all about keeping the cash register ringing.

Just now, kunjanp said:

Lol and you go to Twitter and see iSheep Jonathan Morrison trying to convince MKBD and others that DV will mean much more to regular audience than 120hz. Always sucking Apple's teet.

Well fanboyism is fine, problem is so mnay of them have so many followers, that they spew same sh*t to everyone, crazy!!