The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

On 9/3/2021 at 10:25 AM, Sach4life said:

Any suggestion for a phone under 20k? Last night, while I was walking on the roadside, 2 bikers came from behind with one hitting my and the other snatching my phone, which was in my hand at that time. Thankfully, I am fine.

That su*ks :( Good to know that you are fine.

Do let me know too whatever models you are considering. My pixel stopped working all of a sudden yesterday.

Edit: nvm. Just now saw your subsequent post. But still let me know if there was a model you were considering. Need a temp phone.

Edited by Bauji
  • Like 1

I am leaning towards Vivo x60 over One Plus 9 range. Any thoughts? Or should i wait for x70 series?
Read a bit about Pixel 6 and even if it comes to India, its not going to cost less than 60k. Don't wanna spend that much anyway
OnePlus 9 makes no sense. Vivo sucks.

Nord 2 which is 30k has OIS but OP9 has not. Same/better haptics in nord 2, no overheating issue. OP9 only has SD888 as its advantage. Rest Nord 2 is better. Even though Nord 2 doesn't have SD chipset, it has mediatek's flagship chipset and is praised for fluidity. The only weakness is 90Hz display and somwhat ColorOS integration but it still is clean and ad free.

I am waiting for a better phone myself but this is the last month, if nothing launches by the end of this month. I'll get Nord 2.

53 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Nord 2 which is 30k has OIS but OP9 has not. Same/better haptics in nord 2, no overheating issue. OP9 only has SD888 as its advantage. Rest Nord 2 is better. Even though Nord 2 doesn't have SD chipset, it has mediatek's flagship chipset and is praised for fluidity. The only weakness is 90Hz display and somwhat ColorOS integration but it still is clean and ad free.

I am waiting for a better phone myself but this is the last month, if nothing launches by the end of this month. I'll get Nord 2.

Vivo X60 series doesn't really suck. Vanilla x60 is much much better than Nord 2 in most of the areas. I had my doubts but having used it at Croma yesterday, it felt a premium device for the price

Edited by Sach4life

3 hours ago, dante77 said:

The MediaTek processor is a dealbreaker for me as MediaTek phones have low custom ROM support usually :cry:

Vivo X60 series doesn't really suck. Vanilla x60 is much much better than Nord 2 in most of the areas. I had my doubts but having used it at Croma yesterday, it felt a premium device for the price
Could be x60 is an exception. Generally these phones feel premium in hand, that is not an issue. I am usually worried about bloatware and long term fluidity issue and ads. My OnePlus 5T is still going strong.
The MediaTek processor is a dealbreaker for me as MediaTek phones have low custom ROM support usually :cry:
I didn't know people still custom rom their phones. I stopped rooting phone long time ago. I don't think Android phones need it anymore but then again everyone have their own usage.

22 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Could be x60 is an exception. Generally these phones feel premium in hand, that is not an issue. I am usually worried about bloatware and long term fluidity issue and ads. My OnePlus 5T is still going strong. I didn't know people still custom rom their phones. I stopped rooting phone long time ago. I don't think Android phones need it anymore but then again everyone have their own usage.

I found the OS pretty decent in the limited time I used. It was lot closer to the stock android than I expected. Reading the reviews of long term users, phone holds up well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dante77 said:

I didn't know people still custom ROM their phones. I stopped rooting phone long time ago. I don't think Android phones need it anymore, but then again, everyone has their own usage.

Custom ROMs still holds up because of the existence of MIUI and companies usually only give around 2 years of support (for the budget oriented phones at least)

12 hours ago, dante77 said:

I didn't know people still custom rom their phones. I stopped rooting phone long time ago. I don't think Android phones need it anymore but then again everyone have their own usage.

The only reason I stopped using custom roms was due to a lack of time to devote in research and following the threads on XDA. Then the office apps came and cannot root now anyways. 

Used to be on Carbon nightlies back in the day :notangel:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dante77 said:

Could be x60 is an exception. Generally these phones feel premium in hand, that is not an issue. I am usually worried about bloatware and long term fluidity issue and ads. My OnePlus 5T is still going strong. I didn't know people still custom rom their phones. I stopped rooting phone long time ago. I don't think Android phones need it anymore but then again everyone have their own usage.

maybe Pixel 5A will come to India, but late? I mean if your phone is still going strong why not wait and see?

With the Pixel 5a nowhere in sight for India, I ordered the Pixel 4a 5G for my wife for ₹40k. I know, there are other cheaper, better alternatives, but my wife wanted a Pixel only.

She was using my old P2XL and was due an upgrade and was kinda adamant that she won't use any other phone apart from a Pixel (I'm so glad I married her, though :P ). She didn't want the basic 4a since I have it too and she doesn't like the idea of both of us using the exact same phone. So, after checking reviews of the seller and some India-specific customer reviews, I decided to go ahead with it and pulled the trigger.

I know it's a bit of a risk since the phone never launched here officially. I feel I have done my due-diligence before ordering, but yeah, the risk is there. Will be delivered on Wednesday.

Let's see how it turns out.

In other news, ordered the Pixel Buds A-Series last night (this is for me) and it was delivered today. I'm nowhere close to an audiophile so the sound quality is plenty-good for me. The call quality (for both parties) is really, really good. I wasn't expecting it to be this good. My wife was pleasantly surprised with how good it sounded on the other end.

Need to spend some more time with it to see how well the music sounds. And, the ultimate test (for me) is pending too which can only be done tomorrow while I travel to work in a rickshaw in Mumbai traffic. If it passes that test, the buds are a win for me.

Edited by VelivolusDas
  • Like 1

My phone was working fine, and I was gonna wait until Pixel 5A release in India, or the big Diwali sales to order something different, whichever came first.

Last night however, my phone slipped out of my hand, plopped into the sink while the tap was on :wallbash:

It is not waterproof unfortunately, and though I dried it off immediately and switched it off for the night, its been giving me trouble all day.

Luckily it was fairly inexpensive, so it ain't the end of the world. Hope this is fixable(?) or I'd have to buy a new phone immediately. 

If that happens, Not sure whether to go for the Pixel 4A for 30K in that case, perhaps the iPhone Mini, though I don't fancy spending that much.

When will be the next big sale? October? Dussehra?

1 hour ago, North said:

My phone was working fine, and I was gonna wait until Pixel 5A release in India, or the big Diwali sales to order something different, whichever came first.

Last night however, my phone slipped out of my hand, plopped into the sink while the tap was on :wallbash:

It is not waterproof unfortunately, and though I dried it off immediately and switched it off for the night, its been giving me trouble all day.

Luckily it was fairly inexpensive, so it ain't the end of the world. Hope this is fixable(?) or I'd have to buy a new phone immediately. 

If that happens, Not sure whether to go for the Pixel 4A for 30K in that case, perhaps the iPhone Mini, though I don't fancy spending that much.

When will be the next big sale? October? Dussehra?

I am also hoping they release the 5a in India soon. They might skip India which will be a bummer. Not before October end- Nov. for sure also the sales should be around Dussehra next month and Diwali in early Nov.