The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, North said:

Lmao. No, the slashed pricing is only seen on Apple's website as of now. Physical stores will update the pricing soon as well. 

Spoke to a dude in Croma today. He said upto 5K discount can be expected in upcoming sales, effectively bringing price of base model iPhone 12  (64GB) to 60K. 

What about 128 GB?

3 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

I don't know why people keep buying iPhones. It doesnt looks like one is missing anything with an Android. Pixel 4A release has been a blessing. I hope 5A releases as well. 

For me its the speed and fluidness. Just switched this year and dont think will go back to android unless apple discontinues mini models.

1 hour ago, eddy4823 said:

I don't know why people keep buying iPhones. It doesnt looks like one is missing anything with an Android. Pixel 4A release has been a blessing. I hope 5A releases as well. 

The fluidity of the OS. Also the ecosystem trap. I need to upgrade from my OnePlus 6. Because I use other Apple products already, I'm more willing to shell out the extra bucks. The longevity of the products is great too. 

3 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

iPhones are great for the people in their walled garden. Apply make only 3-4 phones a year, and they make them well. There isn't much difference left between between the 2 platforms lately. I'm pretty much bought into the Google ecosystem, so iOS is a no go for me. But I really appreciate what they pioneered with the privacy settings, it king of forced Android to include similar features in 12.

Bought the Flip3 for the wifey, but there are some delays in delivery. Anyone here ordered and received theirs? 

4 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

Same. People talking about fluidity haven't probably tried the best of Pixels. Even the budget 4A is f**king smooth, and it's not even a HRR screen. 

Excited for see what budget and midrangers Google has in store for the future. 

iPhones really do video well though. Cinematic mode is just EPIC. And you can edit the whole Dolby Vision video ON THE PHONE ! ProRes is another neat feature, but the number of people ACTUALLY using those features is miniscule. Most will get hyped, buy and forget. 

4 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

My friend tried to sell me on the iPhone by saying "the logo itself is worth the price tag" :wallbash:

I mean, I live in Noida so makes sense :P

Anyway I'd definitely prefer to save cash and get the Pixel 5A. 

My only concern is that I recently switched over to MacOS so wondering about the whole ecosystem thing.

4 minutes ago, North said:

My only concern is that I recently switched over to MacOS so wondering about the whole ecosystem thing.

How are you finding the switch ?

I was trying to resize some pics on wife's Air, the it was so frustrating. You need to open Photos/any other app to resize, and even after saving over the original image, MacOS was saving under temp files. While the Photos app was showing the reduced size image, when importing it to a web page (which had size restrictions), it was sending full size image. 

On Windows, I have a simple right click - resize option. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Same. People talking about fluidity haven't probably tried the best of Pixels. Even the budget 4A is f**king smooth, and it's not even a HRR screen. 

Excited for see what budget and midrangers Google has in store for the future. 

iPhones really do video well though. Cinematic mode is just EPIC. And you can edit the whole Dolby Vision video ON THE PHONE ! ProRes is another neat feature, but the number of people ACTUALLY using those features is miniscule. Most will get hyped, buy and forget. 

Long time Android user. Have tried various high end Android phones including Pixels. No complaints about how Android performs. But Apple does it well and ties into the Apple ecosystem seamlessly. It's by no means a disadvantage on Androids part that it doesn't have a connected ecosystem, but the fact that Apple ties everything together neatly makes it appealing even at that price point. Fanboys will obviously hype up the device as if it's the next best thing since sliced bread but many people do actually buy it because it's a solid mobile experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North said:

Oh yeah, it's a trap. They tease you with all these features that's only available in the ecosystem and slowly you find yourself switching your devices. There's no downgrade as such (depending on your usage type) but it definitely has a learning curve. I personally find the MacBook + iPad workflow very productive. 

34 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Long time Android user. Have tried various high end Android phones including Pixels. No complaints about how Android performs. But Apple does it well and ties into the Apple ecosystem seamlessly. It's by no means a disadvantage on Androids part that it doesn't have a connected ecosystem, but the fact that Apple ties everything together neatly makes it appealing even at that price point. Fanboys will obviously hype up the device as if it's the next best thing since sliced bread but many people do actually buy it because it's a solid mobile experience.

Totally agree that these are wonderful devices for those into the ecosystem. But for fragmented users, iPhone does not make much sense tbh, unless you want that sweet camera setup. 

Ecosystem is a word which many people (mostly Indians) don't even understand and they own iPhone only in apple devices.

Being said that, you can't really compare pixel 4/5A with top line of iPhones. Maybe 6 will be comparable, it will be interesting to see.

Most importantly, both Apple and Google need to upgrade their screen refresh rate to at least 90. The difference is very noticeable. Apple did the stunt again with higher refresh rate available only on pro model.

But I know many of friends who will instantly jump to 13 from 12 just because it is the latest version of an Apple phone and old version has "low status value"

PS: this reminds me time when people here used to buy Blackberry phones without data and didn't even know what BBM was!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North said:

My friend tried to sell me on the iPhone by saying "the logo itself is worth the price tag" :wallbash:

I mean, I live in Noida so makes sense :P

Anyway I'd definitely prefer to save cash and get the Pixel 5A. 

I have both macbook and iPhone and the ecosystem is really worth it. Small things like copy pasting between iPhone and macbook works like charm. I don't know why the macOS is becoming sh*t year over year. When I bought MacBook in 2016, apple had a huge gaming library as well. 

36 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Most importantly, both Apple and Google need to upgrade their screen refresh rate to at least 90. The difference is very noticeable. Apple did the stunt again with higher refresh rate available only on pro model.

Yep. loving the higher refresh rate on the OP 7T. Really can't go back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

Yep. loving the higher refresh rate on the OP 7T. Really can't go back. 

 gotchu covered with Pro-motion now. And I have it on good authority their 120 Hz is 69% better than the highest selling competitor’s 120 Hz.

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

PS: this reminds me time when people here used to buy Blackberry phones without data and didn't even know what BBM was!

I had schoolmates who bought a Blackberry solely for the fact that Facebook had a special tag “via Facebook for Blackberry” every time they updated their status. And for having a BB Pin on their Facebook/Orkut profiles. :wallbash:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

 gotchu covered with Pro-motion now. And I have it on good authority their 120 Hz is 69% better than the highest selling competitor’s 120 Hz.

Whenever Apple compares its performance with the "best-selling" competitor, it basically means that the update is incremental.

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

Being said that, you can't really compare pixel 4/5A with top line of iPhones.

You can't, look at the price differential. But for those NOT into the ecosystem, see what extra are you getting for that difference ? Is it something you will use ? Is it something you want to show off ? 

Ultimately, VALUE is determined by the buyer. 

• Like 1