The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

So less written in so many words. Quite a useless article IMO, nothing new. 

Making alibis is easy, changing behavior is hard. If every company thinks like Google, there would be no IKEA or Amazon in India. Jiomart started after the success of these two, Big Basket recently started home deliveries. Apple eventually entered the market with a bang, took their time, but entered the market nevertheless. 

This is Google just taking the easy way out. Ofc, hardware isn't the most profitable segment for them, and thus they can bother not to care. But if they are unable to get that experience to such a vast country as us, it's signing their own death warrant. Pixel is never going to go head to head with the iPhones or Samsungs of the world. They have carved a niche, and they need to play to their strengths. 

P4a launched to a massive success for the company. Capturing the mindshare of such a large swath of population is necessary, the opportunity is ripe. They have 4a, 5a, 6, 6 Pro, covering the whole gamut of price range. Those looking for change are ready to ditch the core Chinese brands, and the only options left are Samsung or Apple. There is really no other competitor. 

To me it seems like in a market like India where Android rules the roost, the majority of the market is taken over by Samsung and other chinese companies. They have multiple models in every price segment to cater all kinds of user. Google with their Pixel range falls smack in the mid-range segment where players like Samsung and One Plus are giving a lot more in their phones at a competitive price. Even iphone is trying to gain foothold with their SE range. Google's USP at this point is leveraging their AI and ML capabilities through their phones and I doubt there are hardly much users out there who will even use the breadth of all the functions that a pixel phone is able to do. Whatever other features the pixel phone has, people can get those at much lesser prices. A normal user will not pixel hunt the pictures taken from the camera and actually appreciate the capabilities of the pixel. The P4A must have sold well but I am sure volumes are nowhere close to what Samsung and others do usually. Inorder to gain visibilty in the Indian market they need to have a major marketing push which means investing big bucks here. In a cutthroat market like India where every manufacturer is trying to one up each other whether putting so much of money for a minuscule market share is worth it or not is anybody's guess. Companies like IKEA and Amazon sensed an opportunity when the market was ripe for the taking but mobile segment at this point is largely saturated. Majority of mass market sales happens in 10000 - 15000 range and there are no other options apart from Samsung and Chinese. Also the feature list rivals those of their expensive counterparts.

Apple is able to survive just because of their aspirational brand and increasing disposable income from the middle class. Though kudos to them that in the recent past they have doubled down on their commitment to India and the  results are there to see. Google does not have wherewithal to even go toe to toe with the established brands. It is far easier for them to make headways in western countries where it is either Iphone or Samsung.

4 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

taking but mobile segment at this point is largely saturated

That's a myth. There's a lot of anti Chinese sentiment. Time is ripe to disrupt the phone market with AI capabilities. No other phone can offer the same breadth of AI/ML features, but Google's just being Google. 

Extremely short term approach. 

With a good marketing strategy, they can do excellent volumes. Remember when iPhone's sole marketing strategy was "Shot on iPhone" ? 

Google can easily one up them, create a brand demand. 

I mean, heck, they launched Nest in India, and I'm not sure what little volumes will they do. Pixel buds have been launched, and they are going toe to toe with umpteen number of Chinese players. 

It's simply a lack of will. And maybe employees in their hardware division. 

Oppo and Vivo succedded via an extremely strong retail push, high margins to sellers. There's no way BBK can do this and Google can't. It's all about intent and will. Apple, with all it's snobiness, has setup manufacturing in India. Google needs to do the same, decrease input costs, pass on the benefit to the consumer, and see sales growth. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

On 10/20/2021 at 12:44 AM, KunjanPSD said:

I am tempted to get it from US.

I know the warranty and the lack of support will be terrible but I just can't seem to daily any other phone.

It won't have international warranty? For Macs ,iPhones etc afaik they provide international warranty

I am tempted to get one but unsure if it'll have international warranty

On 8/25/2020 at 11:28 PM, i_rock098 said:

People using the moto one fusion plus, have you got used to the weight of the phone? That 5000mah battery must weigh a lot. I use a ROG phone 2 with 6000mah and I still haven't got used to handling the weight. My wrist hurt to use it in one hand mode.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

You can chill out bro, the Moto edge 20 Fusion weighs 185 grams only so not much of issues with that. Also, the weight distribution on that thing is good so you won't find that difficult to hold by any chance. Yeah it does feel like a thick boy for some reason but weight shouldn't be an issue

42 minutes ago, cyberpunk said:

Lot of mixed reviews for Android 12 on Pixel 4a subreddit. Thinking whether to update or wait a bit.

Works fine. I like the color scheming tbh. 

It does take a day to settle down. Have seen some slowdowns even clicking photos and opening a lot of apps. 

6 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

It won't have international warranty? For Macs ,iPhones etc afaik they provide international warranty

I am tempted to get one but unsure if it'll have international warranty

It won't have international warranty. 

It won't even have service centres here.

7 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Lot of mixed reviews for Android 12 on Pixel 4a subreddit. Thinking whether to update or wait a bit.

I found it buggy. WiFi button stays ON even when Wifi is off. Had to restart to fix. 
recent button stopped working , had to restart.
Vol up down slider is ugly af, too big. Same with brightness slider. I wish we could customise the borders etc.
Auto theme according to wallpaper is good.

For Pixel 4a peeps upgrading up Android 12, you've to redo any animation scaling (0.5x, no animation etc). Everything just got reset. 

Was wondering why the f**k did Android feel slow, changed scale to 0.5x, and all's good. 

Still see some lag in typing occasionally. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

17 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

For Pixel 4a peeps upgrading up Android 12, you've to redo any animation scaling (0.5x, no animation etc). Everything just got reset. 

Was wondering why the f**k did Android feel slow, changed scale to 0.5x, and all's good. 

Still see some lag in typing occasionally. 

Didn't happen with me. Although, I should mention that I was on the 12 Beta before the full release that just went live.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-says-its-tensor-chip-is-80-faster-than-the-pixel-5s-cpu/

Optimised for "medium" workload. sh*t, I love that. Means battery efficient too. 

On 10/23/2021 at 10:57 AM, VelivolusDas said:

Didn't happen with me. Although, I should mention that I was on the 12 Beta before the full release that just went live.

How’s the battery life after updating to android 12?

1 hour ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

How’s the battery life after updating to android 12?

My battery life has been bad after activating work profile. f**king Mobileiron and work apps are just continuously running in the background, eating up battery. 

I've to see switching work profile off over the weekend.