The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, mohit9206 said:

Fantastic deal for that price. I myself have been considering getting the S20FE since Pixel 4A is overpriced 

Ya I want this but I’ve heard and from what I’ve read on Reddit, the battery life appears to be pretty sh*t on s20fe.

I am using S8,  5.8" screen. 

I like the form factor and looking at the current offerings at this screensize, i see the following options -

Iphone 13/13 Pro, S21, Pixel 6 (although its slightly bigger).  (Idea is to source from the US). 

Flip3 is also great option but too many moving parts and scared of problems from usage.

Don't want to consider OP or any other brands. Just want to stick to Samsung/Google(or iphone?  would be first time using). 

Any other variants i missed? I do love S20/S21 Ultra but it is too big to use. My wife has Note 10 Lite and i felt the screen is too big for single hand use, so dropped on Ultra.

The only pro lem with 13 pro is that it is heavy because of use of SS, otherwise I am really liking the firm factor. If a bit of heft is not an issue go with pro or get the normal 13.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:50 PM, KunjanPSD said:

Me. Not looking for Pixel anymore.

Most probably S22+. Ultra might be too expensive and overkill.

If the base and Plus version also ends up being this expensive then will probably just get a mid-range phone to sail through.

No point in paying this much money.

I gave up on Pixel phones when Google did the same to India. I have a couple of friends who imported the Pixel 6 Pro. Comparing that with my S21U, the fingerprint sensor sticks out like a sore thumb. The camera quality is comparable, we went on a trip recently and Pixels 9/10 times had good 1st time pics while mine had 8/10. The 'Single Take' feature can have some interesting results sometimes.

I'm looking to upgrade to the S22U as Samsung have a decent exchange plan and I get an annual handset reimbursement from my org :D

36 minutes ago, AtheK said:

The only pro lem with 13 pro is that it is heavy because of use of SS, otherwise I am really liking the firm factor. If a bit of heft is not an issue go with pro or get the normal 13.

cool. What do you miss the most on switching to iphone (i believe you also were heavy user of samsung/Android before)?  Any apps you wish existed on iphone?

I know it varies on what each person uses the phone for, but my usage is mostly going to be random pics, multi tasking,  very less gaming, dual sim must. 

I also am considering iphone 13 (or mini but its just too small)

1 hour ago, Pacifier said:

cool. What do you miss the most on switching to iphone (i believe you also were heavy user of samsung/Android before)?  Any apps you wish existed on iphone?

I know it varies on what each person uses the phone for, but my usage is mostly going to be random pics, multi tasking,  very less gaming, dual sim must. 

I also am considering iphone 13 (or mini but its just too small)

I don't think there is any specific app i miss, everything is pretty much available on iOS and generally a bit more polished. Camera is amazing and battery life is brilliant. The privacy feature of disabling apps to track you is also very well implemented.

What I do miss is the option to customize the screen and nova launcher, also some things are just generally easy in android like setting up any mp3 file as ringtone or working with file manager.

Honestly the difference between android and iOS is not too wide now.

Edited by AtheK
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AtheK said:

I don't think there is any specific app i miss, everything is pretty much available on iOS and generally a bit more polished. Camera is amazing and battery life is brilliant. The privacy feature of disabling apps to track you is also very well implemented.

What I do miss is the option to customize the screen and nova launcher also some things are just generally easy in android like settj g up any mp3 file as ringtone or working with fie manager.

Honestly the difference between android and iOS is not too wide now.

+1 to what Athek said. More than what I miss, now that my entire ecosystem is on Apple, it's so much easier to manage. 

My office calls from work iPhone can get routed to my personal phone and vice-versa. I can just pick-up and speak using whichever device is closest to me. Add in an apple watch, ipad and airpods, you can switch from one to another pretty seamlessly and carry over from where you left off. 

49 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

+1 to what Athek said. More than what I miss, now that my entire ecosystem is on Apple, it's so much easier to manage. 

My office calls from work iPhone can get routed to my personal phone and vice-versa. I can just pick-up and speak using whichever device is closest to me. Add in an apple watch, ipad and airpods, you can switch from one to another pretty seamlessly and carry over from where you left off. 

If you're already in Apple's ecosystem if great and works flawlessly. Their garden albeit with some tall walls, is beautiful. I'm into heavy customization and I don't like how sometimes Apple patronizes their users with some of their default or hidden settings. Their newer privacy rules and policies are commendable. I really hope Google takes a note from their page and introduces something similar. I'm using AdGaurd, but there's nothing like having your privacy and data protected natively. Hats off to Apple on making that bold move!

But I'm too deep into the non-Apple ecosystem and I hate the notch. Slowly my entire family is getting into Samsung devices and I'm hoping with the QD-OLEDs, we can add a Samsung TV into the mix as well for ease of casting etc. Also looking forward to what Fuchsia brings into the mix

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s22_series_european_pricing_leaks_s22_ultra_to_start_with_8gb_ram-news-52815.php

@LordSpymaster Might as well just hope for a price drop on S21 Ultra.

S22 prices are crazy.

What about 1+10 Pro? Does anyone has experience with Color OS?

I'll still buy it since have a corporate discount.

8 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Holy f**k ! Is it a pain in the a*s to move Whatsapp backup from Android to iOS or what ? :loco:

My wife's Whatsapp account is now frozen for 24 hours due to frequent logins on both phones. FFS Meta ! Fix this sh*t. 

It is. I tried various things before i gave up and started fresh on ios and lost all of my chats only to move back to Android 2 months later:rofl:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

It is. I tried various things before i gave up and started fresh on ios and lost all of my chats only to move back to Android 2 months later:rofl:

I paid 20 USD for a Windows app to get it done. 

From what I understood, every app does it the same way -

- Backs up your current Whatsapp chat

- Installs an old version of Whatsapp on the phone (likely due to compatibility reasons), you have to activate it, the app restores your backup

- Software can now make a backup of the backup from old version of WA to a PC

- Uses some iTunes APIs to restore those chats to iPhone

The manual process is also helluva complication. The software does work, but between the multiple activation (f**ked up the steps at first go), WA blocked further logins, and reset time is now 24 hours. 

Thankfully I restored the backup on iPhone using an unused number. I guess if I use "change my number" after the cool off period, those chats should be transferred barring the 24 hours loss. 

f**king hell Meta ! 

iOS: 

Pros-

• Love the privacy features. Denying track FTW
  • Battery life is amazing
  • Camera is damn reliable. Shoot and good to go.
  • option to give temp email ID for subscriptions that need emails is really handy
  • Overall fluidity of system is commendable. Never lagged ever.
  • Frequency of updates if you are on beta program.
  • haptics are amazing.
  • faceid is great.

Cons-

• very very restricted ecosystem. A lot of things which are very easy and basic takes multiple steps on ios. ex, try sending something over bluetooth.
  • Multitasking is not like how it is on android. missed it big time when i was using iphone.
  • notification center is still a hot mess.
  • customizations are still lacking compared to android.

End of the day, if you do not multitask a lot and just want to use a phone for calling, taking pics and music, there is nothing better than iphone. If you are an enthusiast and use your phone for productivity then you will feel very restricted in apple ecosystem. That is why I had to come back to android.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

iOS: 

Pros-

• option to give temp email ID for subscriptions that need emails is really handy
  • haptics are amazing.
  • faceid is great.

Cons-

• very very restricted ecosystem. A lot of things which are very easy and basic takes multiple steps on ios. ex, try sending something over bluetooth.
  • Multitasking is not like how it is on android. missed it big time when i was using iphone.

End of the day, if you do not multitask a lot and just want to use a phone for calling, taking pics and music, there is nothing better than iphone. If you are an enthusiast and use your phone for productivity then you will feel very restricted in apple ecosystem. That is why I had to come back to android.

Apple will ask you to use AirDrop if you want to transfer stuff. As you said, they don't assume you buy a single product, they expect you to enter their ecosystem completely. 

Edited by l33tmaniac

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I paid 20 USD for a Windows app to get it done. 

From what I understood, every app does it the same way -

- Backs up your current Whatsapp chat

- Installs an old version of Whatsapp on the phone (likely due to compatibility reasons), you have to activate it, the app restores your backup

- Software can now make a backup of the backup from old version of WA to a PC

- Uses some iTunes APIs to restore those chats to iPhone

The manual process is also helluva complication. The software does work, but between the multiple activation (f**ked up the steps at first go), WA blocked further logins, and reset time is now 24 hours. 

Thankfully I restored the backup on iPhone using an unused number. I guess if I use "change my number" after the cool off period, those chats should be transferred barring the 24 hours loss. 

f**king hell Meta ! 

This. Even I shelled out money to buy the app to transfer my entire chat backup. Android to iPhone is supported natively though. 

1 minute ago, ZooZoo said:

iOS: 

Pros-

• haptics are amazing.
  • faceid is great.

Cons-

I think navigation using Android gestures (A12) is just much better than iOS. You can customize the flick gesture to "go back'" on both sides of the screen. On iOS, it only works when doing it from left side, making it tougher for small hands. Also, I could do text size much smaller on Android vs iOS (pet peeve). 

Share sheet, IMO, is also better on Android. 

But the haptics on iPhone are a class apart. I ALWAYS turn off haptics on all Android phones, including Pixels, but iPhone haptics are really good. 

FaceID is superb ! Only gripe - you can't set more than one. And double tap + FaceID needed to buy apps. 

Great battery, camera, fluidity.

Love Apple Arcade + Apple Music. 

Widgets, to my surprise, are better on iOS. Android widgets are stuck in 1994. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Android to iPhone is supported natively though. 

I think you mean iPhone to Android. And by Android, Apple means Samsung. You can't transfer to any other Android phone. :loco:

Android to iPhone is not supported, but WA is reportedly working on it (for months now). It can't be so tough - there is something else stopping them from baking the functionality.