The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

9 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/technology/samsung-galaxy-s22-galaxy-s22-plus-galaxy-s22-ultra-prices-in-india-leaked-report-8102701.html/amp

S22: 70k+

S22+: 82+

S22U: 1.1L+

If the launch offers aren't decent enough I may be in a pickle price wise.... 

At best I am expecting 8-10k card discount. Not sure if we will get any freebies.

I know in comparison to the US prices, these look decent (2-5k extra) but that basically means that despite of local manufacturing, we are paying extra for the phones with our already low purchasing power.

70-1.1L can easily be a person's monthly salary over here while $800-1300 is not even close to a decent salary in the US.

I am not sure if I am gonna buy any of these, might as well go with a cheaper device and change it 2 years down the line.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, Bird Bird Bird said:

@Apple users, are your recurring payments going through ? All my sub renewals on App Store are getting declined on Apple - ICICI, HDFC, Axis etc. 

I do have working recurring payments going to Google etc (and the cards work fine otherwise). Just the App Store subs are affected. 

Nope. Tried 3 CC's, ICICI, SBI and HDFC and they all failed. Had to resort to adding credit to Apple account via UPI.

Netflix for some reason refused to accept my SBI card after the new mandate but thankfully is working with a different card. Beyond annoyed at this point with these new RBI regulations.

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

I am not sure if I am gonna buy any of these, might as well go with a cheaper device and change it 2 years down the line.

Flagships would always be priced like this anyways... And I would've gone with the plus if only the cameras weren't a step down from the ultra but that's the ploy :thumbdown:

19 minutes ago, Root said:

That is a good policy from your organization. All mine does is reimburse 500 for internet chargers that too only after submitting bill.

Yup, I do have to submit a bill though, and they have 2 year blocks. Claimed for the S21U in the 20-21 block, now gonna claim 5he S22U for the 22-23 block. This phone should be good enough for the next 2 yrs. 

58 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Flagships would always be priced like this anyways... And I would've gone with the plus if only the cameras weren't a step down from the ultra but that's the ploy :thumbdown:

S22/22+ still have great cameras as per early reviews. I don't think there will be much difference unless you do pixel peeping for those beard-face selfies.

I just don't like S22U's shape, seems uncomfortable, excessive screen curve and quite heavy. Also, I don't really need the S-pen and I can't trust the ingress protection in case the pen is misplaced.

20 minutes ago, psinide said:

Yup, I do have to submit a bill though, and they have 2 year blocks. Claimed for the S21U in the 20-21 block, now gonna claim 5he S22U for the 22-23 block. This phone should be good enough for the next 2 yrs. 

Is this reimbursement part of the annual salary? or maybe CTC?

Or this over and above?

Because if it's the latter then I need to renegotiate with my company.

1 hour ago, psinide said:

2 years is a good block time. Ours is 3 years, but then the company also gives a corporate phone..so any reimbursement is a win win. 

1 hour ago, KunjanPSD said:

Or this over and above?

Ideally should be non CTC component. 

14 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

Or this over and above?

Its over and above. There is a fixed reimbursement for mobiles every two years. Most companies provide a mobile phone and sim, mine pays for my mobile bill (or provides a sim) and gives me 35k every two years for a phone (or a phone worth ~35k). Sales guys get iPhones, but they have a 4 year refresh cycle. 

14 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

Big 4?

Nope, not Big 4.