The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

7 minutes ago, SuperT said:

But isn't everyone spying now ? We don't really have an option, if you have a smart device connected to the internet then it is pretty certain that the data is being used in some way or the other. 

Everyone except Apple. But with them, they don't need your data, they just force you to buy in their ecosystem, else suffer a subpar over all experience :fear1: :P

33 minutes ago, psinide said:

Everyone except Apple. But with them, they don't need your data, they just force you to buy in their ecosystem, else suffer a subpar over all experience :fear1: :P

I meant if you have any app on your device like - banking/social media/health tracking/streaming etc. Then you can be rest assured that your data is being used and sold to third parties. Yes apple as a device is a better option than Android phones but as long as you are connected to the net and use apps then sadly your data is being spied on and used. 

3 minutes ago, SuperT said:

I meant if you have any app on your device like - banking/social media/health tracking/streaming etc. Then you can be rest assured that your data is being used and sold to third parties. Yes apple as a device is a better option than Android phones but as long as you are connected to the net and use apps then sadly your data is being spied on and used. 

Yes, if you read the fine print, you pretty much agree to your data being sold to track you in most applications and since most of the apps are daily essentials, it does feel like you don't have any choice. Facebook as a whole is losing its popularity globally, but it still creeps me out when I get see targeted ads. I'm using AdGuard on my phone buts its still not as good as the provisions within iOS.

1 minute ago, psinide said:

Yes, if you read the fine print, you pretty much agree to your data being sold to track you in most applications and since most of the apps are daily essentials, it does feel like you don't have any choice. Facebook as a whole is losing its popularity globally, but it still creeps me out when I get see targeted ads. I'm using AdGuard on my phone buts its still not as good as the provisions within iOS.

Best experience is when you talk about something on WhatsApp and you see an ad about the same thing on Instagram just mins later.

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

But isn't everyone spying now ? We don't really have an option, if you have a smart device connected to the internet then it is pretty certain that the data is being used in some way or the other. 

The original linked article on HN harps about the piss poor Samsung service in servicing their own foldable phone, blaming it on user. 

The HN thread, as usual, went into a tangential direction. 

But having personally used a Samsung (Samdung ?) fridge, not touching anything consumer facing made by them ever. 

9 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

The original linked article on HN harps about the piss poor Samsung service in servicing their own foldable phone, blaming it on user. 

The HN thread, as usual, went into a tangential direction. 

But having personally used a Samsung (Samdung ?) fridge, not touching anything consumer facing made by them ever. 

What went wrong with your fridge? We will be buying one soon, and Samsung & LG are the only contenders. We are looking at normal French-Door ones, not interested in any smart capabilities.

3 minutes ago, psinide said:

What went wrong with your fridge? We will be buying one soon, and Samsung & LG are the only contenders. We are looking at normal French-Door ones, not interested in any smart capabilities.

Can't comment on Samsung but LG has been pretty good. Had one for almost 11 yrs and other than the compressor needing service once after 8 yrs - had no other complaints. The one I have currently I bought around 8 years ago, again no problem whatsoever till date. 

37 minutes ago, psinide said:

Gas leakage in 2 years. Official samsung techs came, soldered, filled gas. Costed around 3k. 

Had a leak again after 4 months (warranty was 3 months). Paid 3k again. 

The cooling is also pretty f**ked up. We have the convertible fridge, 600 litres, and it wouldn't defrost properly. All the technicians who visited us told to not use the convertible feature, plus always set temps at average levels, not at min or max levels even if the options are present on the front dashboard. 

Earlier Whirlpool lasted for 12-14 years I think, with no issues. We upgraded since needed more space, and Samsung was the only one giving a massive vegetable storage box. 

But never f**king again. 

13 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Gas leakage in 2 years. Official samsung techs came, soldered, filled gas. Costed around 3k. 

The cooling is also pretty f**ked up. We have the convertible fridge, 600 litres, and it wouldn't defrost properly. All the technicians who visited us told to not use the convertible feature, plus always set temps at average levels, not at min or max levels even if the options are present on the front dashboard. 

Earlier Whirlpool lasted for 12-14 years I think, with no issues. We upgraded since needed more space, and Samsung was the only one giving a massive vegetable storage box. 

But never f**king again. 

Only reason we were considering the Samsung was for the convertible option as the we don't need a large freezer capability majority of the time. If the function doesn't work as advertised, then LG FTW!

1 hour ago, psinide said:

Apple also does a lot of data use. Their devices keep on sending MAC addresses or hardware IDs of other idevices in the vicinity even if you don't know the person or device. That's how Find your phone or Airtags work. 

But most likely the data is used only by Apple, to provide a better service. They are not dependent on overt ads anyway. 

53 minutes ago, SuperT said:

46 minutes ago, psinide said:

43 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Best experience is when you talk about something on WhatsApp and you see an ad about the same thing on Instagram just mins later.

Unfair comparing SW to HW companies. 

You don't pay for WhatsApp, FB etc. And if you don't pay, you're the product. 

In case of Samsung, you're paying 1L. And still getting targeted by Samsung for data, specially via their own suite of apps (beyond what Google is already harvesting). 

6 minutes ago, psinide said:

Only reason we were considering the Samsung was for the convertible option as the we don't need a large freezer capability majority of the time. If the function doesn't work as advertised, then LG FTW!

Also look at Panasonic. 

30 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

But never f**king again. 

This.

I haven't faced gas leak issue yet but Samsung convertible sucks and you have to put the temp. at maximum in relatively rainy season because it creates frost and the fan ends up making a knocking sound. By maximum I mean at 6-7° which is not ideal for food.

Samsung employees told me that's the only option and pretty much then stopped responding to my service complaints and then the warranty passed by.

My mom fell for the same, extra storage they provide otherwise LG was my choice.

Will never buy a Samsung Fridge.

Have had better luck with their ovens and microwaves.

18 hours ago, psinide said:

I got a Samsung French Door 3 months back. No complaints till now. Before this, I had LG double door which ran for around 7 years with zero complaints. If I didnt need a bigger fridge, I would have continued with LG. But, honestly, I am not sure if there is anything much to look at apart from personal preferences for any particular size, looks, internal shelf arrangements and resale value, to make your decision. Its a fridge. It cools stuff. All of them do. What else is it supposed to do?

56 minutes ago, WhatsInTheName said:

Its a fridge. It cools stuff. All of them do. What else is it supposed to do?

But what about FPS? And 4K??!?!

On a serious note, most of local retailers chimed the same thing, LG compressors are the best. 

21 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

I have talked about stuff and seen its ads pop up on instagram. Once I felt it's a co-incidence. Nope it definitely isn't.

Just now, eddy4823 said:

I have talked about stuff and seen its ads pop up on instagram. Once I felt it's a co-incidence. Nope it definitely isn't.

Ohh, no, definitely it's encrypted but not for Facebook. 

Ads about a potential trip, some particular cuisine or some particular activity are quick to show up.

I don't think they save all the content of a msg but just they keywords. Easy to do.

2 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Ohh, no, definitely it's encrypted but not for Facebook. 

Ads about a potential trip, some particular cuisine or some particular activity are quick to show up.

I don't think they save all the content of a msg but just they keywords. Easy to do.

talked as in - talked. not typed anything.

4 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

talked as in - talked. not typed anything.

Yeah, I got that. By msg I meant any type of parsable communication.

I haven't particularly experienced this but I am sure that's happening or have happened.

I can build a whole end to end architecture for this in a day, so for sure they have models in place.

Edited by KunjanPSD