The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

Just completed one full day with the iPhone 13. Battery is ridiculously good. 4hr 15 mins screen time with 50% to go. Heavy usage which had insta, lots of calls, Google Maps for an hour & Hotstar as well. 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, makdi_man said:

Hiya, folks!

Any decent non-Chinese, non-Samsung android around 25K.

I am tired of Samsung's bloatware and ads. Thinking about purchasing stock android. Other than Nokia there seems to be no non-Chinese stock android phones.

Anyone here with experience with Nokia android phones. How's LG's UI. Is it as bad as Samsung's.

Moto Edge 30

18 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Except Mi, what's a good phone to buy under 30k? Leaning slightly towards recommending Samsung since the person has a GW4. But still open to other brands as well... 

Samsung phones under 30k will come with intrusive Galaxy Store app which will install random apps until you absolutely nuke the permissions after the first set of installs but even then Galaxy Store notifications can't be switched off.

I would prefer buying Chinese in 1+ at that point. You can have my data but atleast don't bother me lol.

5 hours ago, LordSpymaster said:

Except Mi, what's a good phone to buy under 30k? Leaning slightly towards recommending Samsung since the person has a GW4. But still open to other brands as well... 

Iqoo Neo 6 launching on 31st May is best phone under 30k. It has Snapdragon 870 chip which is better than 888. It's on Amazon. 

1 minute ago, SuperT said:

Thanks man. iPhone it is. Any software to transfer contacts/data from Android to iPhone ? 

Move to iOS works well. There’s a long convoluted way to do WhatsApp transfer too. 
Also, your Google account can sync on iOS too. 

• Thanks 1

Are there any good options for "dumb" phones that have WhatsApp and wifi? My domestic help need one and would want to use WhatsApp and our wifi to call back home. 

Not looking for a touchscreen based piece but having a dumbed down android version would be great. 

56 minutes ago, LordSpymaster said:

Are there any good options for "dumb" phones that have WhatsApp and wifi? My domestic help need one and would want to use WhatsApp and our wifi to call back home. 

Not looking for a touchscreen based piece but having a dumbed down android version would be great. 

I think Jiophone comes with options that you're looking for. 

On 6/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Move to iOS works well. There’s a long convoluted way to do WhatsApp transfer too. 
Also, your Google account can sync on iOS too. 

Got the 13. Display is brilliant, I was used to the OP7T screen oversaturating everything, so it took me a while to get used to this OLED display as it looked dull when compared to the OP7T. The battery life is also nice but I need to buy a charging brick, I have a 5W brick which I used for my iPhone 7 but that will be too slow - is the official Apple 20W charger the best ? 

Also, I tried but finally gave up on transferring whatsapp chats, I don't think there is any way to transfer from android to ios. :wallbash: 

54 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Got the 13. Display is brilliant, I was used to the OP7T screen oversaturating everything, so it took me a while to get used to this OLED display as it looked dull when compared to the OP7T. The battery life is also nice but I need to buy a charging brick, I have a 5W brick which I used for my iPhone 7 but that will be too slow - is the official Apple 20W charger the best ? 

Also, I tried but finally gave up on transferring whatsapp chats, I don't think there is any way to transfer from android to ios. :wallbash: 

Congrats ! The display is brilliant - day and night difference with usual Android displays, specially when watching HDR content (Netflix etc). 

I use the 30W brick since it can fast charge both iPhone and iPad. 

Also, for Whatsapp transfer, I used Dr Fone. Works perfectly, but FOLLOW THE STEPS PRECISELY !

10 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Congrats ! The display is brilliant - day and night difference with usual Android displays, specially when watching HDR content (Netflix etc). 

I use the 30W brick since it can fast charge both iPhone and iPad. 

Also, for Whatsapp transfer, I used Dr Fone. Works perfectly, but FOLLOW THE STEPS PRECISELY !

Thanks man. Will check it out. But never switching back to Android unless something game changing is released to avoid these hassles. 

2 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Thanks man. Will check it out. But never switching back to Android unless something game changing is released to avoid these hassles. 

Well, I miss 4 things on iOS - the default map is Apple Maps, and you can't change it on most apps (like Whatsapp location sharing) - the it SUCKS a*s compared to Google Maps. The neighbourhood detail is nowhere to the extent of Google Maps. 

Second is Google Lens integration. While the app is present for iOS, the default integration on Pixels for every photo (just long press, and a lens option is available) is legit time saver. Not to mention GA runs circles around Siri.

The notification panel is atrocious on iOS compared to stock Android - I just hate looking at notification on iPhone. Simply useless. Android not just has better control, but the interactivity is superior as well. 

Finally, IMHO, the sharing menu is more mature on Android vs iOS. I almost get lost everytime I am trying to share something on iOS which is not present in the default list of apps. Workflow sharing actions are seem a tad confusing tbh. 

What works well is the rest of the phone. Extremely quick, no lags, excellent screen, excellent speakers, great battery, comparable camera to Pixels, better widgets than Android, and the new iOS 16 does look exciting with lock screen customizations. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Well, I miss 4 things on iOS - the default map is Apple Maps, and you can't change it on most apps (like Whatsapp location sharing) - the it SUCKS a*s compared to Google Maps. The neighbourhood detail is nowhere to the extent of Google Maps. 

Apple Maps is pathetic here in India. When you share the location the person who receives it has the option of opening it on Google maps so shouldn't be much of an issue. Thankfully in the latest version of Apple Car Play Google maps and Spotify can be used, it was terrible a few years back when it was just Apple Maps and Music.

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

The notification panel is atrocious on iOS compared to stock Android - I just hate looking at notification on iPhone. Simply useless. Android not just has better control, but the interactivity is superior as well.

This more than anything else. iOS notification panel SUCKS!

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

36 minutes ago, quixote_1989 said:

This more than anything else. iOS notification panel SUCKS!

iOS 16 will move the notifications to the bottom of lockscreen and are more organized. 

Long overdue. Can't wait for it to be out in september.