The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

23 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Excited to get rid of the Mi for good. Fastest upgrade till date for me

There. That's your problem. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Anyway to share that Dr Fone license and split the cost? 

Or is it single device license? 

Will check if it's tied to email or hardware. 

Yup the only thing I missed when I made the switch to Apple with iPhone 12 was the notifications, it’s miles better on android but hoping the new iOS 16 notifications will be better. 

I remember trying iOS long back with iPhone 3G couldn’t stand it and switched back to android very quickly. iOS has gotten better over the years in fact there’s not much difference now in terms of features between Android and iOS and add to that iOS is super stable and smooth easy to understand why so many are switching.

16 minutes ago, Vamos said:

iOS 16 will move the notifications to the bottom of lockscreen and are more organized. 

Long overdue. Can't wait for it to be out in september. 

Saw WWDC yday. Tbh, it doesn't look as useful as Android notifications. Moving it to the bottom makes zero sense unless they're grouped correctly, and granular controls are available on the type of notifications without explicitly hitting every setting off in settings. It's anal how poorly designed notifications are in iOS. 

For ex, in Android, you can just swipe a notification and simply just disable marketing notifications, but enable shipment notifications on apps like Amazon/FK etc. The grouping is also better, with easy snooze controls etc. 100x better than iOS unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Can't wait to experience the shittiness myself :wub:

My iPhone 13 and Airpods pro are sitting in Mumbai. Can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Don't know how the display is on the MI, but the iPhone 12 display is significantly better compared to the Pixel 4A (yes, I know). And definitely feels smoother all around. Camera is damn good.

Except those brotherfudging notifications!! It does some weird sh*t with the grouping of Outlook emails, not sure if that is partially an Outlook issue as well.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It's less about the build quality (which is decent enough barring the mediocre camera) and more about the random f**king bugs it's smacks me with. 

Every f**king update fixes some bug and introduces some random f**king bug. 

Eg:-

Apps in pip mode would buy out such that if you touched the pip window, it would hide itself making it impossible to dismiss the window without force closing the app. It won't be fixed unless you reboot. 

Vibration would not work on gestures

Latest bug, every f**king thing is tinted with some weird orange colour and I cannot seem to fix it

Notifications on lock screen stopped displaying half the apps out of nowhere. Sometimes it comes up sometimes it doesn't

Camera won't focus in third party apps

Internet does not work on my router's 2g ssid for whatever reason. Works on every other network

Apps get killed randomly so I don't receive notifications from mygate (for eg) randomly

The fingerprint sensor gestures randomly stop working

The proximity sensor has weird behaviour leading to random mutes or disconnects during calls

Just few of many.

This is a 38k phone btw. I'd fund the bugs somewhat acceptable in a 10-15k phone. 

Well, you deserve that for buying a Mi. The original quality is now down the drain (for a few years infact). 

Options are few: iPhone, Pixel, Samsung or Moto. Everything else is crap. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

It's less about the build quality (which is decent enough barring the mediocre camera) and more about the random f**king bugs it's smacks me with. 

Apps in pip mode would buy out such that if you touched the pip window, it would hide itself making it impossible to dismiss the window without force closing the app. It won't be fixed unless you reboot. 

Latest bug, every f**king thing is tinted with some weird orange colour and I cannot seem to fix it

Notifications on lock screen stopped displaying half the apps out of nowhere. Sometimes it comes up sometimes it doesn't

Internet does not work on my router's 2g ssid for whatever reason. Works on every other network

Apps get killed randomly so I don't receive notifications from mygate (for eg) randomly

The proximity sensor has weird behaviour leading to random mutes or disconnects during calls

Just few of many.

This is a 38k phone btw. I'd fund the bugs somewhat acceptable in a 10-15k phone. 

Then you will love the iPhone, it’s complete opposite to mi super stable, smooth and great battery life.

2 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Pretty much why I got Iphone. That and getting a ridiculously good price due to it being from US. 

I'm not too hot for Samsung also. It also has random f**king bugs and microstutters which drive me crazy. 

Agreed. It’s just Pixel vs iPhone for me personally. Sad to see such a state unfortunately. 
I still have the original Mi3 launched in 2013. Such a beautiful phone. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Pretty much why I got Iphone. That and getting a ridiculously good price due to it being from US. 

I'm not too hot for Samsung also. It also has random f**king bugs and microstutters which drive me crazy. 

Have only been using S22+ for a few months but great experience so far. Very solid, no bugs. Hoping microstutters never show up.

I think for iOS it's more about peripherals too because nothing comes close to Apple Watch, although I hope Galaxy Watch 5 is close enough.

3 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Just few of many.

I just placed order for Poco X4 Pro as I needed new phone :nerves:
Which phone u had btw?

I moved the other way from iOS to Android recently, exchanging my iPhone 12 mini for S22 ultra. Been an iOS user for the past 4-5 years. While there are things I can appreciate, the iOS experience became too stale for my liking. Its always the same home/lock screen layout and app drawers with minimal customization.

Then there's the atrocious user experience trying to connect the phone to a windows PC. Lack of a proper file management system and the accessories being locked down to iOS only devices finally drove me away from Apple.

My S22U has been really good to me so far. It is just as fast and fluid as my iphone with the added flexibility and openness of Android. Only slight complaint about Samsung is the duplicate set of Samsung apps they pre load into the phone. I mostly prefer the google apps, (except Samsung Internet which is excellent!) and it took me some fiddling around to make it so they stay out of the way. 

Also Siri is a bit of a village idiot compared to Google Assistant.

Edited by Nikushimi

I think iPhone now does not have much of an edge, until you are in the ecosystem. Stand alone I would not recommend iPhone to anyone, but if you are in the ecosystem, it's amazing.

Like my Macbook and iphone unlocks automatically if i have my Apple watch on. The app switching is just brilliant, the fact that i can pick my phone calls directly from macbook is another amazing feature.

Wherein I will pick macbook over windows any day of the week, I can not say the same for iPhone over Android. The battery life is brilliant on an iPhone though. If not for the ecosystem I would have happily traded my iPhone 13 pro with S22 ultra in a blink of an eye.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 2

Don't know where else to ask this, but has anyone here bought from Apple.com? I wanted a macbook air with 16 GB of RAM but for any macbook purchase it says the lead time is almost a month ( 14 July ), does it really take that long? In retail you only get 8GB variants, apple.com only way to get 16GB RAM version.

58 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Don't know where else to ask this, but has anyone here bought from Apple.com? I wanted a macbook air with 16 GB of RAM but for any macbook purchase it says the lead time is almost a month ( 14 July ), does it really take that long? In retail you only get 8GB variants, apple.com only way to get 16GB RAM version.

Maybe they don't have it in stock and they are waiting for the shipment to arrive from China ? China was under lockdown recently and obviously the shipments must have got affected. The phones get delivered in two-three days.

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

I've bought my Apple TV 4k from them. My order was delivered pretty quick. They probably don't have Macbooks in stock right now. They are usually very fast with deliveries. 

4 hours ago, AtheK said:

I think iPhone now does not have much of an edge, until you are in the ecosystem. Stand alone I would not recommend iPhone to anyone, but if you are in the ecosystem, it's amazing.

Like my Macbook and iphone unlocks automatically if i have my Apple watch on. The app switching is just brilliant, the fact that i can pick my phone calls directly from macbook is another amazing feature.

Wherein I will pick macbook over windows any day of the week, I can not say the same for iPhone over Android. The battery life is brilliant on an iPhone though. If not for the ecosystem I would have happily traded my iPhone 13 pro with S22 ultra in a blink of an eye.

The A15 is a monster though. It's more than enough for the next 5 years lol. And iphones clearly look better than other android phones. Other than that they're more or less the same.

Mi phones except thier A series range has always been sh*t. Simply major Android brands are sh*t. 

Despite all the hate of Oneplus, it is still the best Android phone to use. No ads, no bloatware and butter smooth experience! That too in a mid range device like Nord 2.

I understand their high end devices are messed up with overheating and other issues but you don't need to buy them, in fact I say boycott their high end phones so that they learn a lesson of not ripping of customers. 

21 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Mi phones except thier A series range has always been sh*t. Simply major Android brands are sh*t. 

Despite all the hate of Oneplus, it is still the best Android phone to use. No ads, no bloatware and butter smooth experience! That too in a mid range device like Nord 2.

I understand their high end devices are messed up with overheating and other issues but you don't need to buy them, in fact I say boycott their high end phones so that they learn a lesson of not ripping of customers. 

I've faced multiple issues with 1+ devices. The most common one was Android Auto, it never worked. The phones also start showing their age in terms of performance (battery, heating, slowness) at around the 1 year mark. I sold my S20+ to a friend of mine and its still working as good as new. Battery also lasts him till end of day even after 2+ years.

Even though I'm currently a Samsung user, I swear by OnePlus. I've owned most of their phones and they've never given me any major issues. If you ask me, 1+ still makes the best Android phones.

22 minutes ago, psinide said:

I've faced multiple issues with 1+ devices. The most common one was Android Auto, it never worked. The phones also start showing their age in terms of performance (battery, heating, slowness) at around the 1 year mark. I sold my S20+ to a friend of mine and its still working as good as new. Battery also lasts him till end of day even after 2+ years.

Agreed. They were good till 7 series. My mom has faced similar issues on the 9. It overheats and freezes at least once or twice every few days. 

1 hour ago, SuperT said:

Maybe they don't have it in stock and they are waiting for the shipment to arrive from China ? China was under lockdown recently and obviously the shipments must have got affected. The phones get delivered in two-three days.

Yes could be this, the iPhones show delivery today or delivery in 3 days :rofl:

discrimination against macbooks :ranting: