The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

On 10/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, Ram Dante said:

It works on most screens, but in others I'm just swiping 2x3 times uselessly, before tapping the back button at the very top (which is hard to reach single-handed

I never have to tap back button at the top on my iPhone. One swipe anywhere on the left side is all I do to go back. Weird that you are facing this issue 

2 hours ago, 0verlord said:

I never have to tap back button at the top on my iPhone. One swipe anywhere on the left side is all I do to go back. Weird that you are facing this issue 

Nope. He's correct. Many 3rd party apps will not allow swipe left to back on iOS, and will instead force you to use the arrow on upper LHS. On Android, the default state is a left swipe anywhere, irrespective of the app, goes one step back, and can even be customised so that a swipe either from left or right will still take you one step back. 

Quickest example is ICICI iMobile app.  No swipe to left. Only arrow on upper LHS. 

Same for HDFC Bank app. 

Both of them by default support swipe to left on Android. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Nope. He's correct. Many 3rd party apps will not allow swipe left to back on iOS, and will instead force you to use the arrow on upper LHS. On Android, the default state is a left swipe anywhere, irrespective of the app, goes one step back, and can even be customised so that a swipe either from left or right will still take you one step back. 

Quickest example is ICICI iMobile app.  No swipe to left. Only arrow on upper LHS. 

Same for HDFC Bank app. 

Both of them by default support swipe to left on Android. 

This is surprising to me. I’ve been using iPhone since last 3.5 years. Heavy majority of apps I use behave like I say

I think the behaviors you say are limited to rare apps of Indian “tech slow” companies like hdfc, icici etc

1 hour ago, 0verlord said:

This is surprising to me. I’ve been using iPhone since last 3.5 years. Heavy majority of apps I use behave like I say

I think the behaviors you say are limited to rare apps of Indian “tech slow” companies like hdfc, icici etc

Doesn't matter for Android. The swipe to go back (both from left and right) is baked into the OS. Doesn't matter if an app uses the logic or not. Better than iOS. 

Also, the option to go back by either swiping left or right is godsend for one handed users.  

@0verlord Same back swipe issue with apps like Bigbasket, Bookmyshow etc. 

If you open an Insta reel via direct link (WhatsApp/browser etc), there's no back swipe. Super inconsistent. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

36 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Doesn't matter for Android. The swipe to go back (both from left and right) is baked into the OS. Doesn't matter if an app uses the logic or not. Better than iOS. 

Also, the option to go back by either swiping left or right is godsend for one handed users.  

It is awesome. Makes it extremely easy to navigate the phone. Have heard that it makes shagging, while using the phone, easy as well

Edited by Sach4life
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dante77 said:

This reminds to ask. How do you guys go back in a website say IVG on iOS. I just opened a topic and want to go back, chrome doesn't even have universal back button unless clicked on three dots at top right, so do you guys navigate to previous page on IOS? 

Just swipe back from left side. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Is there a way to customize the lock screen with old wallpapers in ios 16?

The newer batch does not have the dynamic wallpapers and I just cant bring myself to delete my default one. Just love how the wallpapers changes from day to night. Surprised that they removed the whole lot of them.

Nope. Apple major f**ked up the wallpapers. You can download the old ones from archive sites, but you won't get the auto day night shift. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Any recommendations for a good non yellowing magsafe case for 14 Pro Max ? Spigen ones seem to be OOS, with delivery in 2nd week of Nov. Apple's official is too expensive + underside is not protected properly. 

This is the one I got. Very good but I am not sure if available here. https://uniqcreation.com/collections/iphone-14-pro-max/products/lifepro-magclick-14-pro-max

• Thanks 1

If anyone wants to sell off an old iPhone 8 or SE 2 or X in not so good condition for cheap, lemme know. I am planning to buy one for temp usage for managing son's apple watch since family setup doesn't work in india and managing it from my or wife's iphone is a pain.

4 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Any recommendations for a good non yellowing magsafe case for 14 Pro Max ? Spigen ones seem to be OOS, with delivery in 2nd week of Nov. Apple's official is too expensive + underside is not protected properly. 

Apart from the yellowing issues, I feel clear cases in general look more dirty than usual over time because of the dust getting stuck everywhere and they are basically fingerprint magnets.

6 minutes ago, Shantz said:

If anyone wants to sell off an old iPhone 8 or SE 2 or X in not so good condition for cheap, lemme know. I am planning to buy one for temp usage for managing son's apple watch since family setup doesn't work in india and managing it from my or wife's iphone is a pain.

Are you sure because you can setup family sharing in India.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201088

2 minutes ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Are you sure because you can setup family sharing in India.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201088

That article is misleading. Click on the link that mentions which carriers support family setup in India (There are none). So, while you can setup a watch itself under family setup, the cellular function wouldn't work  which is the main draw for this so kids can be contacted/tracked etc. Otherwise the watch is severly limited in this mode so there's no advantage.

1 hour ago, Shantz said:

This is the one I got. Very good but I am not sure if available here. https://uniqcreation.com/collections/iphone-14-pro-max/products/lifepro-magclick-14-pro-max

Not available in India unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Apart from the yellowing issues, I feel clear cases in general look more dirty than usual over time because of the dust getting stuck everywhere and they are basically fingerprint magnets.

Nowadays the good cases take a few months to yellow. Most have anti yellow coating.