The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Hijacking this thread to just sing praises about how awesome the Airpod Pros are. Coming from WF1000XM3s, the ANC is better, but the transparency mode is just insane. Outside sounds are just natural. No feeling of artificial boost, just talk naturally. 

I don't feel any major loss of AQ between ANC and transparency mode (except base), which is pretty insane as well. 

The ANC is much improved over 1000XMs, and I love the classy transition between the two modes. So smooth, no abruptness. 

Only gripe is similar to WFs, I can't find a seal in my ear without hurting after 40-45 mins. Need to keep on adjusting. M ear tips are fine, L cause too much pain, S is too small. 

Pleasantly surprised. 

exactly same experience. I moved from XM4 to Airpod Pro 2 a week back and boy, what a difference in transpiracy mode. It is everything it is hyped for. I couldn't believe how natural it was , didnt even notice any change with it being on when I took out one of the earbuds, such a clean experience that I might actually use this mode much more often.

20 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

didnt even notice any change with it being on when I took out one of the earbuds

This exactly. Sorcery. 

And when you move between the 2 modes - ANC and Transparency, you don't get the WHOOP feel as felt with other TWS. I just love how gradual and really minimal the transition is, with ANC just drowning with world around you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you guys get the quality straps for Apple Watch series 7 or 8? Official one's are criminally expensive so I got few from Dailyobject but they are substandard in quality. Any other decent suggestions?

4 hours ago, ZooZoo said:

Where do you guys get the quality straps for Apple Watch series 7 or 8? Official one's are criminally expensive so I got few from Dailyobject but they are substandard in quality. Any other decent suggestions?

None come close to official straps in terms of quality. Have spent more than the value of official straps with DO and a bunch of other brands - waste of money tbh. 

15 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

None come close to official straps in terms of quality. Have spent more than the value of official straps with DO and a bunch of other brands - waste of money tbh. 

I thought same but my experience has been bad with Original Accesories from Apple. Bought a leather case for my Iphone 14 Pro Max and its already wearing out badly in less than 2 months. Leather is chipped away near charging port and silence button. Also the green leather color is rubbed off on all 4 edges on back and front and hence turned black there. Never expected this quality after paying nearly 6K for case. Might as well have bought UAG instead as their Monarch series has always served me well with every phone in last 5 years. Do you have any better suggestions other than UAG for case?

Pixel owners, pls advise on any must have apps to enhance the stock experience. 

Coming from s22, the launcher and app drawer experience is a big let down on my 6A. I dont  like to install launchers but seems I don't have an option here.

8 hours ago, Pacifier said:

Coming from s22, the launcher and app drawer experience is a big let down

Genuine question: What's missing, if I may ask?

Been using a Pixel since the Pixel 2 XL and I've never felt the need to install any third party app to make the 'experience' better.

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Genuine question: What's missing, if I may ask?

Been using a Pixel since the Pixel 2 XL and I've never felt the need to install any third party app to make the 'experience' better.

Folders in app drawer 

No easy way to use sim2 from dialer

No separate volume control for notifications and ringing

Edited by Pacifier

2 hours ago, Pacifier said:

Folders in app drawer 

No easy way to use sim2 from dialer

No separate volume control for notifications and ringing

All valid points, especially if you're used to it.

- For folders in the app drawer, you will need  third party app launcher. I used to use Nova back in the day. Not sure how good/bad it is now.

- I've always been a single SIM guy all my life, so, can't help you there. Sorry.

- You will need a third party app for separate volume control.

Is it worth switching from Android to iOS?

I currently own a S20FE, however unfortunately it got some water damaged. Got the display changed, however, it can die anytime since the motherboard was also wet and now its all on luck. Was considering a new phone before it stops working altogether.

In Android, the options are:

• Pixel 7/Pixel 7 pro: Concerned about the unreliability of the brand since India is not a major smartphone market for them. So, worried that they are not durable in the longer run, and after-sale service for it
  • Samsung: S22 apparently has a very poor battery life and the other option is a S22 Ultra. The price is quiet high though for that and I am not sure if spending that much on an Android is worth it since somehow or the other the phone ends up lagging in daily usage.

I have always been an Android user and love it. However, the customizations I used to do earlier on it, I don't do it anymore and my main usage is just very basic. Music, browsing, maps, etc. I don't remember the last time I gamed on a phone.

I have noticed everyone with an iPhone using it for 4-5 years and I've very rarely seen a iPhone lagg while switching apps.

Eg: When I suddenly open Maps at times on my phone and while navigating, it laggs a bit and at times warms up. And many times its not that snappy, which I've always noticed an iPhone to be.

I used to be against iPhones, but however, in the current market, it somehow seems like the best bet for regular usage.

Even in iPhones, is the Pro an overkill and is the regular or plus variant enough? And currently which is the best value for buck iPhone? Eg, is any of the 13 edition still a better buy?

Too confused, would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

I currently own a S20FE, however unfortunately it got some water damaged. Got the display changed, however, it can die anytime since the motherboard was also wet and now its all on luck. Was considering a new phone before it stops working altogether.

• Pixel 7/Pixel 7 pro: Concerned about the unreliability of the brand since India is not a major smartphone market for them. So, worried that they are not durable in the longer run, and after-sale service for it
  • Samsung: S22 apparently has a very poor battery life and the other option is a S22 Ultra. The price is quiet high though for that and I am not sure if spending that much on an Android is worth it since somehow or the other the phone ends up lagging in daily usage.

I have always been an Android user and love it. However, the customizations I used to do earlier on it, I don't do it anymore and my main usage is just very basic. Music, browsing, maps, etc. I don't remember the last time I gamed on a phone.

I have noticed everyone with an iPhone using it for 4-5 years and I've very rarely seen a iPhone lagg while switching apps.

Eg: When I suddenly open Maps at times on my phone and while navigating, it laggs a bit and at times warms up. And many times its not that snappy, which I've always noticed an iPhone to be.

I used to be against iPhones, but however, in the current market, it somehow seems like the best bet for regular usage.

Even in iPhones, is the Pro an overkill and is the regular or plus variant enough? And currently which is the best value for buck iPhone? Eg, is any of the 13 edition still a better buy?

Thank you!

Among Androids - P7 Pro is a beast, also S22Ultra. 

For iPhones - either get 14 Pro/Max or 14 Plus (if you want battery) or 13 Pro or 13. No point in getting vanilla 14 as not much has been upgraded. 

Have recently moved from Pixels to 14 Pro Max, primarily as I wanted stellar battery life. Using it for a few months, no lags, no hiccups, no app crashes etc. Phone has been running pretty smooth, but the camera of P7P is better for stills (iPhone Pro series shoot in DV, and video output tends to be much better). Remember, you can't set Google Maps as default in iOS. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Thank you!

I bought the Motorolla Edge 30 Ultra last month. It's an underappreciated beast imo. 

Speakers are loud and sound great, battery life isn't as big as my previous phone but lasts the day without issue, ending at around 25%. Matte body texture feels great.
I've never cared much about the camera so idk how it compares. Looks better than my cheap a*s Samsung M21 but you could probably do a bit better with the flagship samsungs or apples.

My main purpose for going for a phone over 20k was emulation and this is a beast. 8+ gen1. Stock android.

Motorolla actually delivered an amazing flagship class phone. My first smartphone was the Moto G1 and I forgot how much I have been missing the quick actions for the camera and flashlight.

They're releasing their next flagship soon with the 8 gen2. Something to look out for imo.

I chose this over Samsung stuff is coz they use 8 gen1 in their non-folding lineup which has overheating issues. Plus I read reddit posts saying the speakers are a downgrade from S20.

Edited by BrainyZombie
  • Like 2