The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

12 minutes ago, BrainyZombie said:

I bought the Motorolla Edge 30 Ultra last month. It's an underappreciated beast imo. 

Speakers are loud and sound great, battery life isn't as big as my previous phone but lasts the day without issue, ending at around 25%. Matte body texture feels great.
I've never cared much about the camera so idk how it compares. Looks better than my cheap a*s Samsung M21 but you could probably do a bit better with the flagship samsungs or apples.

My main purpose for going for a phone over 20k was emulation and this is a beast. 8+ gen1. Stock android.

Motorolla actually delivered an amazing flagship class phone. My first smartphone was the Moto G1 and I forgot how much I have been missing the quick actions for the camera and flashlight.

They're releasing their next flagship soon with the 8 gen2. Something to look out for imo.

I chose this over Samsung stuff is coz they use 8 gen1 in their non-folding lineup which has overheating issues. Plus I read reddit posts saying the speakers are a downgrade from S20.

My next phone will be a Moto, looks like it! Glad to see you like it, I've always liked Moto phones. My Moto z2 ultra still gets comments from people about how sleek it is and it still runs flawlessly without any lag for my minimal use.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Is it worth switching from Android to iOS?

I currently own a S20FE, however unfortunately it got some water damaged. Got the display changed, however, it can die anytime since the motherboard was also wet and now its all on luck. Was considering a new phone before it stops working altogether.

In Android, the options are:

• Pixel 7/Pixel 7 pro: Concerned about the unreliability of the brand since India is not a major smartphone market for them. So, worried that they are not durable in the longer run, and after-sale service for it
  • Samsung: S22 apparently has a very poor battery life and the other option is a S22 Ultra. The price is quiet high though for that and I am not sure if spending that much on an Android is worth it since somehow or the other the phone ends up lagging in daily usage.

I have always been an Android user and love it. However, the customizations I used to do earlier on it, I don't do it anymore and my main usage is just very basic. Music, browsing, maps, etc. I don't remember the last time I gamed on a phone.

I have noticed everyone with an iPhone using it for 4-5 years and I've very rarely seen a iPhone lagg while switching apps.

Eg: When I suddenly open Maps at times on my phone and while navigating, it laggs a bit and at times warms up. And many times its not that snappy, which I've always noticed an iPhone to be.

I used to be against iPhones, but however, in the current market, it somehow seems like the best bet for regular usage.

Even in iPhones, is the Pro an overkill and is the regular or plus variant enough? And currently which is the best value for buck iPhone? Eg, is any of the 13 edition still a better buy?

Too confused, would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

I've been a lifelong android user who switched recently to iPhone and I can't be any more happier. Everything just works. Battery life is stellar, there is literally 0 idle battery drain whereas android will keep on sucking up battery for random stuff even when it is idle no matter what power saving settings and background access you disable. I was using S22 Ultra which is a great phone for multitasking and customization but it sucked in low light videos and pics. Even in day time the shutter lag meant that you are bound to get blurry pics when you quickly want to snap a moment. Switch over to iPhone and 99% of time I take one snap and it is good to go. Then comes the lag, even though it S22U is a flagship, it will randomly be laggy as hell when you switch between too many apps or you have just started your phone. You need to let it warm up a bit before you can use it. Nothing like that on iphone, you boot it up and it is ready to go, no lags. Just like you yourself said, if you are at that age where you do not spend too much time customizing stuff and need a phone which just works great out of the box and does basics right (Battery, music, camera) then iPhone is no brainer. 

Regarding the model, if you want the latest features and best battery life then get the iPhone 14 Pro or Pro max, lower models are basically iPhone 13 which are being sold as iPhone 14, all internal hardware is same down to the chipset. So if you are looking for VFM deal then try to snag a 13 Pro.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your opinions! Appreciate all of them and have helped clear out the confusion a bit!

4 minutes ago, ZooZoo said:

I've been a lifelong android user who switched recently to iPhone and I can't be any more happier. Everything just works. Battery life is stellar, there is literally 0 idle battery drain whereas android will keep on sucking up battery for random stuff even when it is idle no matter what power saving settings and background access you disable. I was using S22 Ultra which is a great phone for multitasking and customization but it sucked in low light videos and pics. Even in day time the shutter lag meant that you are bound to get blurry pics when you quickly want to snap a moment. Switch over to iPhone and 99% of time I take one snap and it is good to go. Then comes the lag, even though it S22U is a flagship, it will randomly be laggy as hell when you switch between too many apps or you have just started your phone. You need to let it warm up a bit before you can use it. Nothing like that on iphone, you boot it up and it is ready to go, no lags. Just like you yourself said, if you are at that age where you do not spend too much time customizing stuff and need a phone which just works great out of the box and does basics right (Battery, music, camera) then iPhone is no brainer. 

Regarding the model, if you want the latest features and best battery life then get the iPhone 14 Pro or Pro max, lower models are basically iPhone 13 which are being sold as iPhone 14, all internal hardware is same down to the chipset. So if you are looking for VFM deal then try to snag a 13 Pro.

Which iPhone did you end up getting?

Also, isn't the 14 Pro battery lower than that of a 14 Plus?

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Thank you everyone for your opinions! Appreciate all of them and have helped clear out the confusion a bit!

Which iPhone did you end up getting?

Also, isn't the 14 Pro battery lower than that of a 14 Plus?

14 Pro Max 

3 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

You can do this.

Install gmail app. In it, go to settings > general > default apps > choose google maps in navigate from and between locations 

Already done that, but even then many apps use Apple Maps as default, like Whatsapp (for example, if you click a WhatsApp location tracking link).

Daughter's school uses loconav to track buses, and even when it opens in Chrome, it uses Apple Maps. 

Native apps use Apple Maps, not Google Maps. 

Using iPhone 13 Pro for over a year, and though phone is snappy and all, I would never again buy an iPhone as a stand alone phone. I bought it cos I switched over to entire apple ecosystem. Rear camera is decent nothing great, selfie camera is sh*t. Opening and saving attachments is a pain as stand alone, works great with airdrop.

Battery life is very good no doubt, but all in all if you are not moving to apple ecosystem on a whole, you might feel very restricted with iPhone. To add to it the recent camera shoot out done by MKBHD pretty much proved that iPhone 14 pro camera too is no where the best anymore, competition has caught up!

I might just switch back to android and sell the Apple Watch and continue using the MacBook, which is amazing.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Is it worth switching from Android to iOS?

I currently own a S20FE, however unfortunately it got some water damaged. Got the display changed, however, it can die anytime since the motherboard was also wet and now its all on luck. Was considering a new phone before it stops working altogether.

In Android, the options are:

• Pixel 7/Pixel 7 pro: Concerned about the unreliability of the brand since India is not a major smartphone market for them. So, worried that they are not durable in the longer run, and after-sale service for it
  • Samsung: S22 apparently has a very poor battery life and the other option is a S22 Ultra. The price is quiet high though for that and I am not sure if spending that much on an Android is worth it since somehow or the other the phone ends up lagging in daily usage.

I have always been an Android user and love it. However, the customizations I used to do earlier on it, I don't do it anymore and my main usage is just very basic. Music, browsing, maps, etc. I don't remember the last time I gamed on a phone.

I have noticed everyone with an iPhone using it for 4-5 years and I've very rarely seen a iPhone lagg while switching apps.

Eg: When I suddenly open Maps at times on my phone and while navigating, it laggs a bit and at times warms up. And many times its not that snappy, which I've always noticed an iPhone to be.

I used to be against iPhones, but however, in the current market, it somehow seems like the best bet for regular usage.

Even in iPhones, is the Pro an overkill and is the regular or plus variant enough? And currently which is the best value for buck iPhone? Eg, is any of the 13 edition still a better buy?

Too confused, would appreciate any help!

Thank you!

I have used both Pixel and iPhone and can share my experience.

Pixel for -

1. Camera, both front and back are thee best. Portrait shots are epic.

2. Android is just easier to use compared to iPhones. 

3. google keyboard is infinitely better than iPhone keyboard.

4. Apps are cheap/free.

iPhone for

1. Videos.

2. Battery optimisation.

3. Updates.
4. resale value. (this should NOT be a deciding factor while buying a fone though) 

If you opt for Android - Pixel 7/7pro or s22 plus . It sits well between s22 and s22 ultra. s22 is poor when it comes to battery. my friend recently got a s22+ for 55k from reliance digital.

if you opt for iPhone - totally skip 14 and 14 plus because they are just 13. barely any difference. so get any one from 13 to 14 pro max. (ip13 was 50k in last to last flipkart sale)

Edited by eddy4823
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Already done that, but even then many apps use Apple Maps as default, like Whatsapp (for example, if you click a WhatsApp location tracking link).

Daughter's school uses loconav to track buses, and even when it opens in Chrome, it uses Apple Maps. 

Native apps use Apple Maps, not Google Maps. 

I checked again just now. When I click a Maps link in WhatsApp, it opens straight in Google Maps app

something’s wrong with your phone ?

42 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

I checked again just now. When I click a Maps link in WhatsApp, it opens straight in Google Maps app

something’s wrong with your phone ?

Not maps link, try using WhatsApp location sharing. Ask someone to share their Whatsapp location with you - and then track. It'll use Apple Maps. 

7 minutes ago, harsh1387 said:

I tried using Apple maps with carplay. Didn't like it. Tried using it on mobile. Didn't like it.

So, Google maps for everything.

Also, Siri screws up voice commands in Carplay. Google assistant is infinitely better.

Siri doesnt like Indian accent. Google on the other hand, loves it.

2 hours ago, harsh1387 said:

I tried using Apple maps with carplay. Didn't like it. Tried using it on mobile. Didn't like it.

So, Google maps for everything.

Also, Siri screws up voice commands in Carplay. Google assistant is infinitely better.

Apple's native apps are crapola for India.