The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

26 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Not Music. 99 bucks a month and it offers Hi-Res and Lossless audio and trust me if you have the airpods then the spatial audio is also brilliant. 

I use music, infact the whole Apple one. But Maps, Siri, News, Wallet etc are quite useless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I use music, infact the whole Apple one. But Maps, Siri, News, Wallet etc are quite useless. 

I wish wallet would work, had a feature like this on my old samsung that I used a lot

6 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Not maps link, try using WhatsApp location sharing. Ask someone to share their Whatsapp location with you - and then track. It'll use Apple Maps. 

You can uninstall Apple Maps and see how location sharing works. Let me know if it’s opening into Google maps 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AtheK said:

Using iPhone 13 Pro for over a year, and though phone is snappy and all, I would never again buy an iPhone as a stand alone phone. I bought it cos I switched over to entire apple ecosystem. Rear camera is decent nothing great, selfie camera is sh*t. Opening and saving attachments is a pain as stand alone, works great with airdrop.

Battery life is very good no doubt, but all in all if you are not moving to apple ecosystem on a whole, you might feel very restricted with iPhone. To add to it the recent camera shoot out done by MKBHD pretty much proved that iPhone 14 pro camera too is no where the best anymore, competition has caught up!

I might just switch back to android and sell the Apple Watch and continue using the MacBook, which is amazing.

Move over to best camera section.

Tim must have given him good spanking after that last video. :giggle:

Shame Asus Zenfone 9 is not available in India. Looks to be a solid small size phone.

Just now, R3D_D3ViL said:

Shame Asus Zenfone 9 is not available in India. Looks to be a solid small size phone.

Bhai agle saal free phone aur watch kaise milega!

But clearly people have voted and his one vote obvioulsly is his view, that said iphone camera are no where bad (the rear), but they are not the best too. Phone camera in my next phone will be one of the biggest draw for me, and I think I will probably pick a Pixel phone next, maybe the 8 Pro over 15 pro, but let's see.

2 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Bhai agle saal free phone aur watch kaise milega!

But clearly people have voted and his one vote obvioulsly is his view, that said iphone camera are no where bad (the rear), but they are not the best too. Phone camera in my next phone will be one of the biggest draw for me, and I think I will probably pick a Pixel phone next, maybe the 8 Pro over 15 pro, but let's see.

Periscope cam is supposed to be a feature in next year's pro iphones so maybe that will be a gamechanger for them.

As per recent google leaks, next year's pixel phones are supposed to be not much of an upgrade but they might release a pixel fold which is interesting.

https://www.xda-developers.com/2023-2025-google-pixel-roadmap-leak/

1 minute ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Periscope cam is supposed to be a feature in next year's pro iphones so maybe that will be a gamechanger for them.

As per recent google leaks, next year's pixel phones are supposed to be not much of an upgrade but they might release a pixel fold which is interesting.

if 15 pro camera is great, I might still buy it just cos of the apple eco system, hopefully they put that USB port, iphone is the only device that needs a different charging cable now!!

2 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Even in this video he says that the iphone's still camera would be a b+ but it is their video prowess due to which they won

48 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

Even in this video he says that the iphone's still camera would be a b+ but it is their video prowess due to which they won

Which is odd because usually people will use phones 80% for photos and 20% for videos as best case scenario. For me seeing everything pixel 7 pro probably was the camera phone of the year. I am sure there are others who would give it that. 

5 hours ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

Overall specs and hardware might not be a big upgrade but according to a recent leak, Google is planning to change their image processing pipeline completely.

Like, how they did during the P2XL and the whole industry almost uses that computational photography pipeline (taking multiple exposure level images when the shutter is pressed and processing them for the final shot) aka HDR+.

With the P8, they might be going for Staggered HDR instead of HDR+.

If implemented properly, the P8 camera processing might become a new industry standard.

-----

Staggered HDR is a method of capturing short and long exposures of scenes nearly simultaneously. Google currently employs HDR Plus Bracketing, which takes individual photos in rapid succession and uses them to create a final image with a wide dynamic range — meaning there’s detail in both shadows and in highlight areas.

It works well, but it also means that the system has a harder time dealing with moving subjects since it’s using separate frames. With staggered HDR, a short exposure follows right on the heels of a long exposure — before the long exposure has even finished.

This rolling shutter effect scans the sensor from top to bottom and means that there’s no wait for one exposure to finish before starting another one. This means there are fewer motion artifacts to deal with, and less power is consumed in the process — Samsung says it reduces power consumption by 24 percent compared to a method using separate frames.

If Google does plan to add support for staggered HDR, then a new camera sensor is on the way, too. Kuba says that the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro use a Samsung Isocell GN1 for their main camera sensor, which doesn’t support staggered HDR. The Isocell GN2 does support the feature, so it seems to be a likely candidate for the Pixel 8. The GN2 would also provide some autofocus enhancements thanks to a tweaked phase-detection array that’s more sensitive to horizontal movement.

It seems likely that Google will keep iterating on the HDR feature it made popularly, and this early hint gives us a glimpse of what that might look like.

-----

Sources:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/20/23519193/google-pixel-8-camera-rumor-staggered-hdr-sensor

https://www.gsmarena.com/first_leaks_of_google_pixel_8_reveal_huge_camera_upgrade-news-56929.php

1 hour ago, AtheK said:

Which is odd because usually people will use phones 80% for photos and 20% for videos as best case scenario. For me seeing everything pixel 7 pro probably was the camera phone of the year. I am sure there are others who would give it that. 

True. I have a Pixel 6 Pro and the photos that come out from it compared to my wife's and sister's iphones is extraordinary. So much so that my wife has already decided her next phone is going to be a pixel

10 hours ago, AtheK said:

Pixels are undoubted photo champs. Would have preferred Google to use the new 8 gen 2 - it's crushing A16 in benchmarks. If battery life is good, Apple finally has competition. 

8 hours ago, Sach4life said:

True. I have a Pixel 6 Pro and the photos that come out from it compared to my wife's and sister's iphones is extraordinary. So much so that my wife has already decided her next phone is going to be a pixel

OOC, Pixel's HDR is far better - but ProRes really does wonders if one is interested in post processing. Pixel's RAW output isn't as good.