The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

How's the regular iPhone 14? 

iPhone 13 pro seems to be out of stock everywhere and the only other options in my budget is the 14 and the pixel 7 pro.

The 60Hz display is a bummer on the 14 though but the pro is almost double the price and doesn't look like there are going to be any offers coming for it anytime soon.

I wanted to get the pixel but I guess the after sale service is a worry if Google suddenly exits next year again and iPhone's usually work for 3-4 years atleast from what I've seen.

Usage is just the regular apps like maps, spotify, etc. And I've heard the 14 has a good battery as well.

30 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

How's the regular iPhone 14? 

iPhone 13 pro seems to be out of stock everywhere and the only other options in my budget is the 14 and the pixel 7 pro.

The 60Hz display is a bummer on the 14 though but the pro is almost double the price and doesn't look like there are going to be any offers coming for it anytime soon.

I wanted to get the pixel but I guess the after sale service is a worry if Google suddenly exits next year again and iPhone's usually work for 3-4 years atleast from what I've seen.

Usage is just the regular apps like maps, spotify, etc. And I've heard the 14 has a good battery as well.

It's good but then you can just get regular 13, they are almost same. Try to get iphone 14 plus.

Though if I was you and not invested in apple ecosystem, I will but the Pixel 7 Pro and take that risk, google is a big company they will support the phone. Pixel is just a better phone overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtheK said:

It's good but then you can just get regular 13, they are almost same. Try to get iphone 14 plus.

Though if I was you and not invested in apple ecosystem, I will but the Pixel 7 Pro and take that risk, google is a big company they will support the phone. Pixel is just a better phone overall.

13 and 14 is just a 5k difference and apparently there's a slight difference in the camera as well and the processor. 14 Plus seems a bit too big although apparently its battery life is amazing.

I love the pixel 7 pro and its pricepoint. And I keep getting urges to get it instead of switching to iPhone. Camera I'm sure is better than the base 14. However, my only concerns are that:

• After sale service of the Pixel. They provide a*s via b2x I think and apparently the reviews aren't that great in case anything goes bad. And I plan to try and own the next phone for atleast 3-4 years.
  • My S20 FE has random frame drops and lagg while operating maps and another app with it or something or switching maps to a diff app. I don't know if the Pixel also experiences similar random laggs as I've never used a Pixel. And very rarely I've seen any iPhone actually lagg or anything. Is Pixel a similar experience? And how long do they usually last? Not sure if I'm able to describe it properly. 

Regarding the ecosystem, I currently only own the Airpods pro. I plan to own the iPad though sometime in the future and maybe the watch later depending on how I'm liking iOS.

I have around 4000 media files on my iPhone 13. What's the most reliable way to transfer these to Windows PC ? USB cable stop moving the files halfway through.
most of those files are on Google Photos cloud backed up. Should I just go ahead and delete them ? Deleting from iPhone wont delete them from Google Photos cloud, right ?

2 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

I have around 4000 media files on my iPhone 13. What's the most reliable way to transfer these to Windows PC ? USB cable stop moving the files halfway through.
most of those files are on Google Photos cloud backed up. Should I just go ahead and delete them ? Deleting from iPhone wont delete them from Google Photos cloud, right ?

Just delete them if they are backed on cloud.

1 hour ago, North said:

Yeah but I think Google Photos back up is not the same quality right?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it backs up photos in a compressed format, sacrificing quality.......

No. I just checked, at least size of photos are exactly same. 

As for quality, I see no difference at all but a better eye may se better than me. I literally see the exact same photo despite actively trying to find differences. 

2 hours ago, North said:

Yeah but I think Google Photos back up is not the same quality right?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it backs up photos in a compressed format, sacrificing quality.......

I upload the files in Original quality since I have 100 GB Space in Google Photos.

9 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

I upload the files in Original quality since I have 100 GB Space in Google Photos.

A little known thing but if you shoot photos on iPhone in HEIC, then using compressed quality to backup on Google actually takes more space (anywhere between 1x to 4x) :D 

So by saving in original quality you are actually saving space

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shantz said:

A little known thing but if you shoot photos on iPhone in HEIC, then using compressed quality to backup on Google actually takes more space (anywhere between 1x to 4x) :D 

So by saving in original quality you are actually saving space

What low key hack are you using for offline/online photo backup ? I'm pretty sure there's something nifty going on in Shantz's home, which will be cheaper than Google Photos or iCloud. 

Share some tips please. :kisstogether:

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

What low key hack are you using for offline/online photo backup ? I'm pretty sure there's something nifty going on in Shantz's home, which will be cheaper than Google Photos or iCloud. 

Share some tips please. :kisstogether:

No hacks for this :D i save at multiple places since I'm paranoid about backups
1 copy on NAS1

1 copy on NAS2

1 copy on Google photos

1 copy on iCloud

1 copy on backblaze b2

Backblaze will be cheapest. But doesn't have many niceties of google/icloud. I use it mainly as my last ditch disaster recovery.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Shantz said:

No hacks for this :D i save at multiple places since I'm paranoid about backups
1 copy on NAS1

1 copy on NAS2

1 copy on Google photos

1 copy on iCloud

1 copy on backblaze b2

Backblaze will be cheapest. But doesn't have many niceties of google/icloud. I use it mainly as my last ditch disaster recovery.

keeping aside critical things like financial documents, if you try and permanently delete some things from all backups and live life, you’ll be anxious at first but then feel a great burden lifting and will be able to live life worry-free and multi-backup-free

2 hours ago, 0verlord said:

keeping aside critical things like financial documents, if you try and permanently delete some things from all backups and live life, you’ll be anxious at first but then feel a great burden lifting and will be able to live life worry-free and multi-backup-free

If you stop posting unsolicited random advice in forums, you will feel this great burden lifting and will be able to live worry free.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7