The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

6 hours ago, AtheK said:

what is the best phone doing the rounds at 30K, need to pick one for wife, she drops and breaks phones all the time, so I don't want to spend a fortune on the phone. Biggest ask is that camera should be good and selfie camera should be even better :P

This redmi note 12 pro looks nice, last i got her a redmi K20 Pro and it has served well.

I was about to buy Note 12 Pro and realised it's much weaker than my K20 Pro. In fact, almost all phones below 30k have weaker cpus than K20 Pro. So went with Nothing phone 1 256gb one for 28.5k. It also has weaker CPU than K20 Pro, but is much better than Note 12 Pro and has UFS 3.1 etc. Camera is decent too.  But if your wife keeps breaking phones then it won't be a good choice as it's back and front (obviously :p ) are made of glass.

Look for Moto Edge 30 or higher model or Oppo Reno series.

Edited by Big Boss
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big Boss said:

I was about to buy Note 12 Pro and realised it's much weaker than my K20 Pro. In fact, almost all phones below 30k have weaker cpus than K20 Pro. So went with Nothing phone 1 256gb one for 28.5k. It also has weaker CPU than K20 Pro, but is much better than Note 12 Pro and has UFS 3.1 etc. Camera is decent too.  But if your wife keeps breaking phones then it won't be a good choice as it's back and front (obviously :p ) are made of glass.

Look for Moto Edge 30 or higher model or Oppo Reno series.

This k20 pro was actually a great phone, it still takes better looking selfies then my iPhone 13 Pro. I was also thinking of nothing phone, has wireless charging also, maybe put a tempered glass on rear also. How do you compare the camera of nothing phone with K20 pro specially the selfie camera.

6 hours ago, 0verlord said:

Get rugged case for phone costing 3k or more, it won’t break

she will say now phone is bulky and remove it ??

3 hours ago, AtheK said:

This k20 pro was actually a great phone, it still takes better looking selfies then my iPhone 13 Pro. I was also thinking of nothing phone, has wireless charging also, maybe put a tempered glass on rear also. How do you compare the camera of nothing phone with K20 pro specially the selfie camera.

she will say now phone is bulky and remove it ??

I didn't find much difference in selfie camera but yeah the beauty features aren't there. My wife with iPhone 13 prefers K20 Pro selfie camera too lol.

Nothing phone also doesn't have 3.5 mm jack. And the OS is almost stock Android so it is missing features such as dual apps, app lock, network speed in status bar, AM/PM clock in status bar, disabling internet completely for individual apps etc etc. I really miss such basic features of MIUI which I had taken for granted over the years. But phone feels really solid in hand and os looks beautiful. Battery life is average so far.

4 minutes ago, R1shabh said:

@Big Boss@AtheK - Between OPPO Reno8 5G, Nothing Phone 1 and Pixel 6a which one would you recommended specifically (and only) for Camera/selfie? Would appreciate your input. 

Oppo Reno 8 if you can digest the rear camera bulge. I had almost finalized getting it because it has almost flagship specs and is damn cheaper than flagship, but that camera bulge made me change my decision. I just don't like the look of pixel phones.

I know megapixels don't matter much but pixel 6a has 8 mp, nothing has 16 mp and Reno 8 has 32 mp selfie cameras.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

Oppo Reno 8 if you can digest the rear camera bulge. I had almost finalized getting it because it has almost flagship specs and is damn cheaper than flagship, but that camera bulge made me change my decision. I just don't like the look of pixel phones.

I know megapixels don't matter much but pixel 6a has 8 mp, nothing has 16 mp and Reno 8 has 32 mp selfie cameras.

Thanks. Someone suggested Samsung S21FE as well (a bit pricier than above ones), so will probably chose one from Reno 8, Pixel 6a and S21 FE now. No issues with bulge, shape etc. 

Edited by R1shabh
Grammar

51 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

People seem mad at this. Have you seen this @Bird Bird Bird?

Yeah. It's a well known issue. Long given up on clipboard apps on Android once this change happened. 

Everybody got angry, then everyone accepted. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Yeah. It's a well known issue. Long given up on clipboard apps on Android once this change happened. 

Everybody got angry, then everyone accepted. 

What was the purpose of clipboard apps? I never used any. Only used Tasker for some time 

Thanks for the inputs guys, ended up getting the Redmi Note 12 pro plus, 12 GB + 256 GB. The 200 MP camera number will be enough to wow her, though I checked the camera and I found it taking pretty good photos, OIS seemed to be working decently well while taking video as well. The fact that it comes with 120W charger in the box is amazing and charges the phone in 19 mins flat. 120 Hz screen is also nice which is 10bit and HDR, not bad at all. Could have got Pixel 6a at same price, but wife would have not cared, and using a 60Hz screen in this day is criminal.

Wish it had a UFS3.1 storage though, but then it  will mean jackshit for her till it is taking good looking artifical selfies to be shared in girls whatsapp group.

This is a phone designed for the girls, now the only question is how long will the front screen survive :P Maybe I should get a tempered glass over the tempered glass :P

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:44 PM, Lazyboy8134 said:

Any good case recommendations for iphone 14 pro? Which one are y’all using?

I use totemgoods case for my iPhone 13. Check price on amazon and their site to see where it is cheaper. It’s like Spigen but less slippery. 

1 hour ago, R1shabh said:

Ya was 33999 at reliance digital couple of days back using hdfc card.