The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

2 minutes ago, Ram Dante said:

I went for the carbon black (Wanted to go for the blue, but in some videos it looked a bit gaudy). Mine shipped on friday itself, but will reach my place only on sunday.

No, that and the expandable storage are the big omissions. But I guess we can't get OIS for a sub 30k phone. 

Hopefully the night mode, and Gcam will make up for the OIS during the night shots. 

I am replacing my shattered (yet beautifully functional), almost 3 year old S7 as well :D 

A 3 year old phone's display still better than the one on K20. Are you sure? As per reviews, the K20Pro's screen is just as good as the one on OnePlus7s. And I found the OnePlus7s screen, just as good as mine, except for the PPI. 

I was looking to test the HDR feature and tried this video - 

Paused it at exact scene on both phones and noticed that to my eye the image looks so much better on the S7 display.. Even the details are more clearly visible on it even though it doesn't have "HDR" 

10 minutes ago, Ram Dante said:

I went for the carbon black (Wanted to go for the blue, but in some videos it looked a bit gaudy). Mine shipped on friday itself, but will reach my place only on sunday.

No, that and the expandable storage are the big omissions. But I guess we can't get OIS for a sub 30k phone. 

Hopefully the night mode, and Gcam will make up for the OIS during the night shots. 

I am replacing my shattered (yet beautifully functional), almost 3 year old S7 as well :D 

A 3 year old phone's display still better than the one on K20. Are you sure? As per reviews, the K20Pro's screen is just as good as the one on OnePlus7s. And I found the OnePlus7s screen, just as good as mine, except for the PPI. 

Why do you need expandable storage, bloody 256 gigs on the one I got, as much as my laptop. Phones these days... 

OIS would mainly be missed while shooting video, pics should be ok. 

19 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

What ? P2/3/A, all have OIS. 

Nokia 8.1, Asus 5z, OP6T, all sub 30k with OIS. 

Damn! Xiaomi shortchanged us then 

17 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Why do you need expandable storage, bloody 256 gigs on the one I got, as much as my laptop. Phones these days... 

OIS would mainly be missed while shooting video, pics should be ok. 

I only got the 128 (which is still good enough). The main reason is, I like to keep my camera pics on the SD card. Just in case the phone goes kaput, I will still have my precious photos.

Btw EIS is good enough against OIS these days, so videos should be decent on the K20Pro. But in low light photos, OIS helps to keep the pics steady for a slightly lower shutter rate and lower ISO (so, cleaner images). Without OIS, the auto mode will choose a higher ISO and higher shutter rate (hence more noise and brightness). But Gcam in this case, should help make things even against an OIS phone (but not entirely).

Edited by Ram Dante

16 minutes ago, Ram Dante said:

Damn! Xiaomi shortchanged us then 

I only got the 128 (which is still good enough). The main reason is, I like to keep my camera pics on the SD card. Just in case the phone goes kaput, I will still have my precious photos.

Btw EIS is good enough against OIS these days, so videos should be decent on the K20Pro. But in low light photos, OIS helps to keep the pics steady for a slightly lower shutter rate and lower ISO (so, cleaner images). Without OIS, the auto mode will choose a higher ISO and higher shutter rate (hence more noise and brightness). But Gcam in this case, should help make things even against an OIS phone (but not entirely).

Use the night mode in gcam camera.. You would be super surprised. 

Check this video specially the low light part. 

Edited by AtheK

2 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Where did you guys order K20 Pro? I want to order one for my father. Fk or MI's own website? Also, when is the next sale?

We had paid upfront 855 rupees to be included in alpha sale, next sale is on 22nd July. 256 GB version is fastest finger fast round :p

2 hours ago, AtheK said:

We had paid upfront 855 rupees to be included in alpha sale, next sale is on 22nd July. 256 GB version is fastest finger fast round :p

It will be easily available as not many takers for the K20 with its premium price tag. Fastest finger currently is on the redmi 7a for 5799 and 5999. Sold out in 60 seconds on the first sale. It's a first for xiaomi as it comes with 2 years warranty. 

17 minutes ago, ngaged2005 said:

It will be easily available as not many takers for the K20 with its premium price tag. Fastest finger currently is on the redmi 7a for 5799 and 5999. Sold out in 60 seconds on the first sale. It's a first for xiaomi as it comes with 2 years warranty. 

Ya maybe, but in alpha sale 256  GB got sold quickly, luckily they opened some more slots next day, and I was able to get one. 128+6 was easily available. 

50 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

I'm still using an older handset - Mi A2. Works fine but it's old now.
Maybe Samsung A50?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

I think Samsung is fairly easy to use and trustworthy. The UI is pretty clean and it seems like a good buy in that price.

46 minutes ago, funnyadit said:

There's Mi Note 7Pro or 7S ,  Realme 3 or 3Pro..

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered Samsung since note 7 Pro wasn't available. Didn't want realme since it has no track record. 

25 minutes ago, adity said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered Samsung since note 7 Pro wasn't available. Didn't want realme since it has no track record. 

Install rootless launcher and it turns into pixel UI which is super easy.

Got the K20 Pro yesterday. It has been a good 36 hrs with the phone.

Few impressions,

- Display is good. HDR contents look gorgeous. (But missing the S7s PPI levels)

- Battery is phenomenal. With auto brightness and and good usage of apps, some games, plus miui exploration. It gave me a screen on time of 8+ hrs. Hopefully this stays!

- OS experience - miui has been a pain because of the bloatware(can't disable) and for certain things (esp. notifications not appearing in status ar and lock screen), but once we get around that, everything works well and it's snappy.

- Camera is pretty good. Stock cam is great for daylight and gcam nightsight pics are so clear.

- Sound quality over speaker is average but it's loud. Would have loved a stereo setup pointed towards the viewer. Sq over headphones is good, better than my S7

Flipkart's tempered glass was awful, it's small and cuts out some of the edges of the display. DO NOT get it!

Any other online suggestions for this?

Edited by Ram Dante

Not so easily.. e0ce0e5f893f7deecfb3b2e2945bc118.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk