The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Or am I just trying to find hypothetical ways to justify this stupid decision that I think I'm about to make?

This. 

1 hour ago, blitzkreiig said:

I thought Customs on electronics/mobiles was 40%. ShopnShip had issued an article also regarding the same.

And this. I don't think it is 10%, else everyone and their mom would be importing. 

9 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

The issue truly is the holy-smokin-moly, goodness-gracious-snakes-alive, Customs Charge (after adding GST).

I almost did the same with Nexus 4 way back in 2013. Some people were charged 500 rs or some people 2000 rs that time while delivering because of Customs. I ended up buying it from eBay for 25k to remove all this hassle. 

13 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Any predictions for the price of Pixel 4A which is due to be revealed tomorrow for India ? I am very much inclined to buy that. Getting 22k for my OP7 (Non-Pro).

349 USD should translate to 34990 here. Expect some 2-3k cashback offers. None of the Pixel phones in India have tempting prices. 

I was looking at other options to replace the 2XL, and while people are going ga-ga over S20FE, FK is apparently offering S20+ for the same price during BBD sale - 49990. Seems like a decent option at that price, and does not suffer from the camera issues of S20 Ultra (auto focus challenges). I don't think there's anything closer to a holistic package right now - OP8 Pro has a f**kton of reports of screen and overheating issues, and 8T will be more or less a glorifed 8 with fast charging. 

iPhone will be too expensive for my wallet. 

Edit: Other option will be Mi 10T Pro, but yet to see reviews and price.

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

3 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

None of the Pixel phones in India have tempting prices. 

35k for Pixel 4A isn't bad. Phone costs 29k in Canada. You get a good camera and a headphone jack. Form factor is the main thing which is inclining me towards it. I don't want a 6.5" device.

2 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

35k for Pixel 4A isn't bad. Phone costs 29k in Canada. You get a good camera and a headphone jack. Form factor is the main thing which is inclining me towards it. I don't want a 6.5" device.

It's at a 10k premium over US pricing. If there are decent CB offers, looks like a good buy. But no UWB, that's my only gripe. Good things are Pixel exclusive features carry over. 

1 hour ago, eddy4823 said:

US Prices are always without Taxes. with Taxes, it's 581USD. 

Its ~ 380 with tax. Base price is 349 USD. 

Esr4cDM.jpg

Edit: Also consider US lacks many cheaper/budget friendly options that we get in India, namely tons of Mi, Poco, Realme etc. In that hypercompetitive market, P4a needs to be priced aggressively since the SoC and storage are nothing to write home about. Charging is also slower. The only 2 things it has going for it - stock Android and camera. Everything else is better in other phones.  

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

On 10/7/2020 at 10:57 AM, VelivolusDas said:

So, here's the thing.

The power button of my P2XL is completely gone. It would work randomly since the last week, but from last night, it's not working at all.

I have downloaded an app to set my Volume button as the power button, but God knows it's not a fix and only a temporary arrangement. I hate it, to say the least, to use a phone this way.

Now, I see online that the Pixel 4A is scheduled to launch on October 17th on Flipkart during the sale. Expected price is ₹30k-₹35k. Maybe a little lesser with offers and whatnot, but can't be sure of that.

Now, I really feel that the Pixel 5 is the next logical step to 'upgrade', and the 4A would certainly be a compromise.

My question is, does anyone have any experience of importing a phone? Any ideas? Any tips/suggestions? Anything would help out a fellow import-n00b (me). I have a friend who knows some contacts in Singapore, I think. Yet to check with him, though.

I understand I will have to pay a premium for it and I more-or-less should kiss any EMI-options or offers goodbye, so will that inflated price still make sense? Or should I just accept the situation and just get the 4A, until the Pixel 6 or 7 (if they end up in India)?

You won't get warranty for Pixel phones if imported. Consider that as well. I'd personally pay 5k extra just for warranty purpose. My friend had an issue with Pixel 3 and Google service centre guys came to pick his phone and gave him Pixel 1 to use temporarily. Also, if your usage isn't gaming, Only thing you are missing out by buying Pixel 4A is an ultra wide camera and a bigger screen. (I personally prefer the smaller form factor). I don't use Wireless Charging at all and will settle for P4A.

5 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Its ~ 380 with tax. Base price is 349 USD. 

Esr4cDM.jpg

Edit: Also consider US lacks many cheaper/budget friendly options that we get in India, namely tons of Mi, Poco, Realme etc. In that hypercompetitive market, P4a needs to be priced aggressively since the SoC and storage are nothing to write home about. Charging is also slower. The only 2 things it has going for it - stock Android and camera. Everything else is better in other phones.  

Oh yeah, I meant 381 , not 581. and I only think of Apple, OnePlus and Google as proper brand. Absolutely hate chinese phones like Poco, Foco, Xiamen. I pick OnePlus only because it's close to stock android and affordable. Else iPhone or Pixel.

Edited by eddy4823

9 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Oh yeah, I meant 381 , not 581. and I only think of Apple, OnePlus and Google as proper brand. Absolutely hate chinese phones like Poco, Foco, Xiamen. I pick OnePlus only because it's close to stock android and affordable. Else iPhone or Pixel.

I am aligning towards S20+ for 49k on FK during BBD. That's a pretty good price for something that will last 3 years easily. Of course, will miss the Pixel features, but I ain't going for OP seeing how they f**ked up the 8 Pro. Nord is also pretty sh*t camera wise (2 cameras extra just for heck of it), and OP 9 Pro is at least 5-6 months away I reckon. 

P4a, IMO, might not be the best bang for buck for 3 years - processor power is almost similar to 2XL's SD 835, storage speed is same (UFS 2.1). Same camera, with refined Google magic, but no wide angle sensor. RAM is 6gb vs 4gb in 2XL. 

If P4a is around 35k, IMO it makes sense to add 15k and get a flagship. 

6 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I am aligning towards S20+ for 49k on FK during BBD. That's a pretty good price for something that will last 3 years easily. Of course, will miss the Pixel features, but I ain't going for OP seeing how they f**ked up the 8 Pro. Nord is also pretty sh*t camera wise (2 cameras extra just for heck of it), and OP 9 Pro is at least 5-6 months away I reckon. 

P4a, IMO, might not be the best bang for buck for 3 years - processor power is almost similar to 2XL's SD 835, storage speed is same (UFS 2.1). Same camera, with refined Google magic, but no wide angle sensor. RAM is 6gb vs 4gb in 2XL. 

If P4a is around 35k, IMO it makes sense to add 15k and get a flagship. 

I don't want my next phone to be above 6" and Samsung UI never impressed me. 

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

Hmmm. Then P4a it is. Or one of the new iPhones. 

I almost bought iPhone 11 last year and even ok with 720p display but price was too steep. (58k after all cashbacks). then buy a Fast Charger separately. Even from US it was 55k.

Just now, eddy4823 said:

I almost bought iPhone 11 last year and even ok with 720p display but price was too steep. (58k after all cashbacks). then buy a Fast Charger separately. Even from US it was 55k.

Well, Apple tax is Apple tax. Don't think it'll be any cheaper this year (for the main ones anyway). Maybe an SE3 or mini will be cheaper comparatively, but Indian pricing will anyway be f**ked up. 

I guess iPhone 11 might go sub 50k in BBD with all offers etc.