The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Are you using only one phone? I have never seen a guy (Guy not girl) using only iPhone as primary phone without secondary Android phone. They may use a cheap second android but iPhone users always carry a spare phone. 

Not my style though, I also use only one phone but thankfully that's android :lol:

I suggest buy a spare cheap a*s phone specifically for travelling. 

Bill Hader Dancing GIF

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, dante77 said:

Are you using only one phone? I have never seen a guy (Guy not girl) using only iPhone as primary phone without secondary Android phone. They may use a cheap second android but iPhone users always carry a spare phone. 

Not my style though, I also use only one phone but thankfully that's android :lol:

I suggest buy a spare cheap a*s phone specifically for travelling. 

Bhai you are seeing Rich Guys only. 

On 9/10/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

For me, travel necessitates purchase of a local country sim. Much cheaper than Airtel's expensive international roaming plans with byte sized data. 

Just can't do without a physical sim slot unfortunately. 

There's a much better option these days. Buy an esim from airalo/flexiroam etc. Can buy from their apps whenever you want. No documentation jhanjhat also.

22 minutes ago, Shantz said:

There's a much better option these days. Buy an esim from airalo/flexiroam etc. Can buy from their apps whenever you want. No documentation jhanjhat also.

Thanks. Lemme try it on my next trip. 

25 minutes ago, Shantz said:

Which one do you prefer btw ? Specially for Asian countries?

22 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Which one do you prefer btw ? Specially for Asian countries?

I've tried only flexiroam so far once. My personal phone doesn't support esim so had tried it with an office pixel phone. It worked fine but i plan to try out airalo next month after i get a new phone for myself.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:19 PM, dante77 said:

Seriously ? I went to multiple treks past year and more than 50% of phones were iPhones. None of them had a secondary phone. One group had 80% iPhones.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shantz said:

I've tried only flexiroam so far once. My personal phone doesn't support esim so had tried it with an office pixel phone. It worked fine but i plan to try out airalo next month after i get a new phone for myself.

I checked for a few countries like Singapore, and it seems the local sim option is cheaper if one wants high data usage. The esims are a great option though. 

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I checked for a few countries like Singapore, and it seems the local sim option is cheaper if one wants high data usage. The esims are a great option though. 

Yup, considerably more expensive that local sim plans in SG, US and EU. It's more of a convenience play.

2 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

Seriously ? I went to multiple treks past year and more than 50% of phones were iPhones. None of them had a secondary phone. One group had 80% iPhones.

I have my own S22+ and an iPhone 12 provided by the employer.

I do use 12 for personal stuff too but I don't carry it with me. A single primary phone only.

3 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

There are better options as well which are close to local sim many times. Check https://esimdb.com/

Is very convenient. Main issue is that most of these are data only plans. Though if you use an iPhone, I’ve heard that it can use it as a replacement for wifi in VoWifi and thus resolve that too

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Shantz said:

There are better options as well which are close to local sim many times. Check https://esimdb.com/

Is very convenient. Main issue is that most of these are data only plans. Though if you use an iPhone, I’ve heard that it can use it as a replacement for wifi in VoWifi and thus resolve that too

Thanks. 

Also, prices for India is f**ked. Most plans just offer 3gb, and anything up is insanely expensive. Crazy. 

Other Asian countries are much cheaper by comparison. 

7 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

and not giving AOD on iPhones prior to 14. 

Well, in a way, they can justify it with 1 hz polling. The other displays will definitely use higher battery, and Apple likely does not want other class action lawsuits against them (the headlines practically read themselves - APPLE DEGRADING BATTERY AFTER NEW IOS !!!!!). 

12 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Apple juicing every penny. :lol:

That actually is a brilliant move, what good is AOD for me, when I am not around. The seamless integration of the Watch with phone and MacBook is amazing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AtheK said:

That actually is a brilliant move, what good is AOD for me, when I am not around. The seamless integration of the Watch with phone and MacBook is amazing.

Good for those with AW, and seemingly an unfinished feature without a watch. 

Just to utilise AoD fully, now you need an AW. 

1 minute ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Good for those with AW, and seemingly an unfinished feature without a watch. 

Just to utilise AoD fully, now you need an AW. 

Dude if you don’t have watch it will continue to be on, how is it unfinished.

if I have my watch on it unlocks my mac and apple, if I don’t then I just do it manually.

it’s the ecosystem, which they are building, and it just works.

17 minutes ago, eddy4823 said:

Yeah. Wouldn't take long to develop in Android world, and will be more interactive and customizable. 

Tossed between Pixel 6a vs i14 PM as a new phone. GA and lens integration in Pixels is really pulling me towards P6a, but can get relatively cheap 14PM from abroad soon.