The Mobile Phone Thread

Chaztin

On 10/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Everyone copying from each other. 

The general smartphone landscape overall has already peaked and plateaued. Hereon it is just small upgrades here and there with features pinched from each other. It is funny how the competition keeps on berating Apple for addition/deduction of smartphone features when eventually they do the same thing. I don't see Apple doing the same thing else they would have mopped the floor with them on tablets and watches. It is about time now when next gen of communication devices should start to show up and that makes this decade hella exciting.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:16 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Watching the Google keynote - every speaker seems to be nervous ! The lady who introduced the watch/tablet had her voice trembling all along. Weird tbh coming from senior leaders/speskers. 

No matter the seniority and experience, public speaking is nerve wracking for many especially when you know millions are watching you. The presenters are engineers first.

Edited by R3D_D3ViL
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

The general smartphone landscape overall has already peaked and plateaued. Hereon it is just small upgrades here and there with features pinched from each other. It is funny how the competition keeps on berating Apple for addition/deduction of smartphone features when eventually they do the same thing. I don't see Apple doing the same thing else they would have mopped the floor with them on tablets and watches. It is about time now when next gen of communication devices should start to show up and that makes this decade hella exciting.

No matter then seniority and experience, public speaking is nerve wracking for many especially when you know millions are watching you. The presenters are engineers first.

The camera part of the presentation had me grinning like crazy. Google always kills it with great HW+SW combo for camera. 

Exceptional stuff from 0.5x to 30x. 

27 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

The camera part of the presentation had me grinning like crazy. Google always kills it with great HW+SW combo for camera. 

Exceptional stuff from 0.5x to 30x. 

A friend of mine worked on this and it is truly great software.

45 minutes ago, R3D_D3ViL said:

No matter then seniority and experience, public speaking is nerve wracking for many especially when you know millions are watching you. The presenters are engineers first.

It feels like we are kind of in this bland era of smartphones for years now. I miss the time when  Samsung was doing edge panels, One Plus had Star Wars/McLaren editions of their phones and Nexus line was straight up killing it! I get why people stick with the iPhones, because they just work out of the box and the whole "ecosystem" is nice.

11 minutes ago, hazard12345 said:

379 euros for first generation of pixel watch:lol:.

Yeah I'm sticking with my Galaxy Watch 4 lol. 

I don't think there is even any competition in Android market. It's coming in India, so if someone wants to buy a no BS ad and bloat free phone. This is it. I don't need to upgrade right now but I like where this is headed. A proper upgraded pixel coming to India is just :wub:

My only concern is, pixel phones usually ship with some strange bugs at launch which they usually fix after few months. Hope this is not the case with 7 series. 

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

My only concern is, pixel phones usually ship with some strange bugs at launch which they usually fix after few months. Hope this is not the case with 7 series.

To be honest, it used to be the latest version of Android that used to cause some problems/bugs here and there. Since they used to launch the stable version alongside the new phones.

This year, I think it was a masterstroke by Google to simply drop the stable version of Android 13 so soon. The experience is simply amazing on the P6 (truly snappy and everything just 'works') and I'm sure they've optimised it well enough for P7.

Honestly, I'm expecting P7 to have little-to-no bugs in the initial few months.

2 hours ago, dante77 said:

I don't think there is even any competition in Android market. It's coming in India, so if someone wants to buy a no BS ad and bloat free phone. This is it. I don't need to upgrade right now but I like where this is headed. A proper upgraded pixel coming to India is just :wub:

Moto? 

7 hours ago, Kumar123 said:

Moto? 

Moto phones never really captured the broader audience. Their camera isn't any great and display is not on par with Galaxy/iPhones. Their overall look and feel is ok too, although that is subjective. 

Still they are providing clean Android OS which should be appreciated. Their lower end phones are great too, bought moto for my father and it has been almost 2 years now, it works fantastic without any bloatware and ad. 

23 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Moto phones never really captured the broader audience. Their camera isn't any great and display is not on par with Galaxy/iPhones. Their overall look and feel is ok too, although that is subjective. 

Still they are providing clean Android OS which should be appreciated. Their lower end phones are great too, bought moto for my father and it has been almost 2 years now, it works fantastic without any bloatware and ad. 

The newest moto phones are good, depends on the budget! The stock camera app can be upgraded to the pixel app with far superior picture capability because of the near-stock android. Display also is very good!

10 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

To be honest, it used to be the latest version of Android that used to cause some problems/bugs here and there. Since they used to launch the stable version alongside the new phones.

This year, I think it was a masterstroke by Google to simply drop the stable version of Android 13 so soon. The experience is simply amazing on the P6 (truly snappy and everything just 'works') and I'm sure they've optimised it well enough for P7.

Honestly, I'm expecting P7 to have little-to-no bugs in the initial few months.

Yeah, Android and Pixel teams at Google are separate. And there can be some...coordination issues. So it should be better this time around.