Love Story 2050: Underwhelming Screens Ahoy!

lovestory2050_intro.jpg

Whenever we catch breath of “news” like this, our somewhat attempts at analyzing it usually draws to the same conclusion. Indian developer announces or shows off game project. Indian developer assures that the game will hold significance when released to the masses. The Angry Pixel pans Indian developer, with the sort of reasoning you get after getting being butt-whipped with a wet towel in the boy’s locker room while changing. Rinse, lather, repeat. And trust me, I don’t like it coming down to that. I want India to grow as a viable platform for game development. But this is just making it too easy, that even Ravi decided not to comment about it. And he wrote the book on Bollywood bashing around these parts.

Fact-checks for the uninformed: Love Story 2050 is a Bollywood futuristic slash romance slash more futuristic film, tapping into a budget of over 60 crores and starring newcomer Hrithik Roshan Harman Baweja (his dad being the director) and Priyanka Chopra. Sci-fi oriented flicks are usually an anti-dime in a anti-dozen when you’re talking about this kind of industry - in fact, I think the last picture I saw of such sorts was back in 2006, when Harman Baweja Hrithik Roshan decided to don black clothing, a half-broken mask, and call himself a superhero with a name that practically spelled out his secret idenity. And Priyanka Chopra was in that one too! Whoa, small world.

Anyway, I’m not directing any heat on the film here. I’ve had my fair share of arguments on what the Bollywood industry should be focusing on, but hey, I’m also one biased speck of dust when it comes to all the films I try to relate to. But when ContentSutra posted up the first batch of screens on the PC game that the movie is being based upon, well, I got pretty flustered. The film is supposed to be set in the future. The future! The future can have anything! You want friggin’ Indian ninjas doing friggin’ backflips off friggin’ flying cars with friggin’ androids packing friggin’ lasers, sh*t, the film just might have it (just not in the order of pretense)! But what does the “future” have for this game?

lovestory2050_1.jpg

White t-shirted, behind-the-back 3D model’s view of a darkened room with illuminating computer screens of the same wallpaper texture. Red cross hair. Standing there, leaning shoulders and all.

lovestory2050_2.jpg

A jet flying (?) over arrow-tip shaped buildings, with no indication of life anywhere to be seen. No traffic of any sorts, be it the flying-car types or the grounded-car ones. Apparently, the sun decided to explode that day. Maybe that has something to do with the lack of life.

Don’t pull out the “Well, it’s better than what most Indian developers churn out” card. Is it my fault games from other countries are sold legally here in India too? Do I even need to link to all the stuff the Indie gaming community has been showcasing? Because I’m gonna! Even from an artistic point, Agni suddenly seems more appealing to me than this.

I’m not asking for the next Shadow of the Colossus or BioShock here. But tell yourselves: do you really think, you, the developer of a game of which no one knows little to nothing about, will want to hear what others have got to say when you show them something like that? You’re better than this, dammit. I’ve seen what artists in India can do. Just because you have the financial backing of an industry that has more money than it knows what to do with, doesn’t mean you have to resort yourselves to pointless cash-ins of which only the saas-bahus of the world will want to contemplate bringing to their children. You deserve better.

LINK

these are the first attempts....and being a indian gamers we of all should not shun it..and never criticise it....

Only through efforts they get better...Game studios started from Pac-Man....remember that....

these are the first attempts....and being a indian gamers we of all should not shun it..and never criticise it....

if that happens, we'll never get a decent game from indian devs

Game studios started from Pac-Man....remember that....

do you know how many years ago pac-man was made? do you know what technology was capable back then?

peace

if that happens, we'll never get a decent game from indian devs

do you know how many years ago pac-man was made? do you know what technology was capable back then?

peace

^^hmm...u talk out of context....

We can and we should be critcising it..we should not avoid it.... u bolded the wrong word dear....

Pac-Man Happened light years ago....i didnt say it did not...that was start of gaming era...

Is ANY one of us comparing agni,SoM,LS:2050 to that?

Is the engines similar to that?

Is the graphics and story line similar to that?

We are comapring these with current games,right?

My point is we have to start from some where. Brand new IP is wat we need. AND they are very well doing it.

My point is we have to start from some where. Brand new IP is wat we need. AND they are very well doing it.

Brand new IP doesnt have to be showcased through ugly visuals, that all we're saying. Would anyone have thought that GSC could have pulled off S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?

Brand new IP doesnt have to be showcased through ugly visuals, that all we're saying. Would anyone have thought that GSC could have pulled off S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ?

I agree. Give them a break yaar. They will do better.

I sure do hope so.. :)

LOL :)

The trailer for this movie is hilarious! They've ripped off every Hollywood movie possible! A.I. - check, The Fifth Element - check, I Robot - check, etc etc etc.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAA

I'm looking at the Wikipedia page for this movie (thank you TAP) and it says WETA Workshop handled the effects!! I wonder if they got WETA Digital to handle the the CG stuff too or was it just a Workshop contract for the physical effects? Interesting.

Archived