Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Iceman™

9 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

You're wrong. Yakuza 0 is structurally and thematically most similar to the first 2 games with its focused crime drama plot and lean structure with 2 strong protagonists and 2 well realised cities with strong side content. Between yakuza 3-5 it just kept getting more bloated and nonsensical with every game. Yakuza 0 is a return to form more than anything else. 

Besides all that, if you liked Assassins Creed games good for you. AC origins is one of the shittiest games I've ever played and newer games only seem to be expanding on that foundation of sh*t. 

Nathan Drake's Tshirt's armpit sweat stain has more personality than bitchass Bayek. I'd rather they go out on a high note than devolve into the mediocrity of Assassins creed. 

If you're judging Y1 and Y2 based on Kiwami, then it was quite different in the original.

They remade the game completely based on Y0, and everything right from gameplay to side content to things uou could do in the city was changed. Original was different (other than story/plot points etc., heck even that was added to). It was rougher, and not much similar to Y0 at all.

Anyway let's agree to disagree.

lmao, so we can't even call the story bad of a beloved SONY game now?

The entire inciting incident of UC 4 involves Nathan being an appam-chutiya who won't even do basic research before putting his life and wife on hold and heading out on a dangerous mission on mere words of someone he sees after how many years again? Ya, great story!

6 minutes ago, gamer_adi said:

The entire inciting incident of UC 4 involves Nathan being an appam-chutiya who won't even do basic research before putting his life and wife on hold and heading out on a dangerous mission on mere words of someone he sees after how many years again? Ya, great story!

I agree.

I was expecting the big villian and a big set-piece showdown at the end where Nate ends up saving the day in an over-the-top way but it turned out to be an empty yawn of a climax

24 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

I was expecting the big villian and a big set-piece showdown at the end where Nate ends up saving the day in an over-the-top way but it turned out to be an empty yawn of a climax

This!! Every UC game before UC4 had this.

38 minutes ago, 0verlord said:

I agree.

Yep, that was disappointing. Also, the pacing of the entire game, a shootout or two every level in between a whole bunch of walking around,wtf was that? I think they tried to bring the pacing of TLOU to Uncharted, with the involvement of Druckmann and all. That pacing works for a game like TLOU, it sucked the fun out of Uncharted, these games need to be loud and bombastic, constantly moving from one set-piece to another, just compare this to UC2.

Edited by gamer_adi

49 minutes ago, gamer_adi said:

I would call the story of games like Days Gone as bad/mediocre or even worse. Uncharted is anything but. 

All Uncharted games are like this, they are supposed to be fun adventures. Nothing in the series is realistic... jumping onto trains, fighting in a crashing plane, holding onto the landing gear while taking off... Isn't it obvious? 

UC4 takes a much more matured and complicated route in character development. It takes its own time to set up the story. The intro itself is years ahead of any other single player games out there. 

Nate is obsessed with the hunt for treasure and his obsession puts his loved ones in danger. This has always been the central theme in the series. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vamos said:

I would call the story of games like Days Gone as bad/mediocre or even worse. Uncharted is anything but. 

All Uncharted games are like this, they are supposed to be fun adventures. Nothing in the series is realistic... jumping onto trains, fighting in a crashing plane, holding onto the landing gear while taking off... Isn't it obvious? 

UC4 takes a much more matured and complicated route in character development. It takes its own time to set up the story. The intro itself is years ahead of any other single player games out there. 

Nate is obsessed with the hunt for treasure and his obsession puts his loved ones in danger. This has always been the central theme in the series. 

The enitre stuff about SAM breaking out of jail with the help of that guy, and how easily Nate bought that, and didn't think to double check, can't buy it. Also, the slower pace ruined 4 for me.

1 hour ago, gamer_adi said:

Frankly, UC4 was against what UC generally was. Druckmann tried to force TLOU style story, family vales and other sh*t on UC. But Uncharted was never about that. It was about adventure. When you try to do serious story telling, moral preaching or things like "Family Important", "Why did I lie" and "What will I tell my wife" with Uncharted - it's basically not Uncharted anymore.

Uncharted is like Indiana Jones/Tintin etc. It should follow the style of those or even of James Bond. Every game is a brand new adventure. There should only be very minimal references to the past games (More like Easter Eggs). Thieves are going after the next new treasure on another exotic part of the World. That's all the overall story needs. Nothing else. Just like the entire premise of Tomb Raider is a British Museum archeologist going after the next new treasure (and the main villain Trinity's new shenanigans in every adventure of the new TR series). Every game need not, and definitely should not have a "Deep, Grand, Overall story grounded in reality". It's against everything Uncharted.

The best part is - as soon as Druckmann is removed from the equation, Uncharted becomes great once again. The Lost Legacy proves this. It is as good (or almost as good) as Uncharted 2. Remove the baggage of "Overall Narrative" and any associated politics (Family Values/Romance/Whatever) from the equation - and the series really shines.

Uncharted 2 itself is also an example of this. Uncharted 2 does not make much references to Uncharted 1 at all, reduces the role of Elena drastically, does not bring any romance/how to stay married/family drama in it, just focuses on the adventure - and it shines. Same for The Lost Legacy.

UC3 did all that sh*t and it was pretty mediocre. UC4 doubled down on it - and it was bad. 

Just focus on the "Adventure of the Day" and the banter with the quirky characters, plus the awesome gameplay and set-pieces, and everything will be great.

Edited by roun90
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, gecko89 said:

Personally found the pace to be a bit uneven, not slow, and that was the only major gripe I had with U4. But despite that its still a 9/10 game for me, one step down from masterpiece isn't trash. 

if you will notice, i only called the "story" trash...

10 minutes ago, gamer_adi said:

if you will notice, i only called the "story" trash...

I know, I was just throwing my 50cent in there. As far as the story goes, thought it was decent or maybe just good, but overall liked the way they tied it up at the end.

Trash is a but too harsh imo, but I'm someone who thinks RDR1 was boring, some people would kill me if I said that to their face :D

Climbing is too much because they removed the stamina meter after designing the game around it. 

Pacing was bad not beacuse of druckmann and straley but because the game got rebooted midway and the new team had the use parts of both old and new assests that were created and had to make the game in record time.  Sam was supposed to be the main (or one of) the villains and in the initial pitch and it didn't even have shooting in the first half. 

4 hours ago, gamer_adi said:

That someone was his brother.

And nathan's flashback shows how close they were.

4 hours ago, 0verlord said:

I agree.

Totally agree with you.

5 hours ago, KnackChap said:

Climbing is too much because they removed the stamina meter after designing the game around it. 

Pacing was bad not beacuse of druckmann and straley but because the game got rebooted midway and the new team had the use parts of both old and new assests that were created and had to make the game in record time.  Sam was supposed to be the main (or one of) the villains and in the initial pitch and it didn't even have shooting in the first half. 

I heard the DLC doesn't suffer from any of these issues. Still, I wouldn't mind buying the main game again on PC if it's reasonably priced.