Persona 5

'Pranay

14 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Someone check the price? On my NA account, it shows $124.99 and EU account €99.99. nKEwM5M.png

AND $144.95 on AU ACCOUNT. WTF are these prices for ultimate edition??? cokZh7V.png

Yup; definitely needs a price check. Getting Vanilla Persona 5 + Costumes and BGM set + Personas set comes to $100. The ultimate bundle is charging $24 on top of that. Might be some mistake. BTW the Ultimate Edition is not available on Indian store at all.

Anyway this bundle is not at all necessary. Far better to just get the normal edition. As I said, most of the important DLCs are free (Difficulty; Dual Audio; some items and some costumes) + if you had pre order bonus Personas Izanagi + Izanagi Picaro was free. Rest can just be ignored completely.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Ultimate Edition is available for ₹2,750 as part of the January Sale (the base game is also available for the same price). 

Should I? Shouldn't I?

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I have a backlog and can't guarantee the time I can invest in this game.

Just now, VelivolusDas said:

The Ultimate Edition is available for ₹2,750 as part of the January Sale (the base game is also available for the same price). 

Should I? Shouldn't I?

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I have a backlog and can't guarantee the time I can invest in this game.

Get it. Persona 5 is one of the best games of 2017. 2750 is a very good price considering the physical is going for appx. 3.4k INR. Ultimate edition is not worth it at full price. But if price is same as base game, it's a really great deal.

After seeing the game in almost every top 10 list of 2017, finally thinking for this. But I have never ever played a JRPG before. So is it easy for a genre noob to get into this? I have played turn based games so I am cool with that but the mundane day to day slice of life tasks I am most afraid of.

Are those tasks engaging or just there to see random numbers rising? Also I am thinking of Persona because I want to be surprised and get a good story. I need a sort of break from the usual general open world action fare. So P5 needs to win me over Horizon or watch dogs or ACO.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Um, it can get overwhelming real fast while managing time. Gets even hard to get calendar management right to get all confidants ranked to the top and max stat. You kinda have to prepare yourself mentally for the possibility that you won't see everything in one playthrough. If you don't plan to do the second playthrough, then you can play it...well casually. 

• If not, then try to prioritize stat boosting in the beginning. 
  • Don't ignore confidants. 
  • Sometimes the game will tell you that you can spend time with a confidant but the rank won't advance, as you need more relationship points 
  • If you have another confidant ready to advance, better do that one. The fortune confidant, at a certain level, will allow you to buy those relationship points, for a bit of cash but no time investment.
  • The temperance confidant is your best friend and allows you to squeeze more time out of the game.  
  • Both Fortune and Temperance require money to use. Luckily Sun's perks are all about making more money.

While doing dungeons, do it the smart way and don't waste too much time. The less time you spend in dungeons, the more you spend doing activities. 

The game can get stressful quickly if you let it. Else it is very fun and unique journey. Easy to get in but can get hard to keep up as it offers so much to do. The game does say "Take your time" but don't take too much time. If you're not advancing a confidant relationship, you should be raising a stat or making progress in a story palace. Never go to bed early, or otherwise waste too much time.

Keep in mind that you really do only have a finite number of days to see and do everything in the game.

I'd suggest you check basic guide/tips before jumping in. Even though the game does explain most of the things, it is nice to know before. 

So P5 needs to win me over Horizon or watchdogs or ACO.

It surely wins over all those games. You just need patience and enjoy it as it offers more than 100+ hours of gameplay. 

Its probably the least complicated of all the 'niche' JRPGs, with ton of QoL changes that I wish other old school JRPGs had. For eg, if you go to a vendor you can compare stats, then buy new weapon/armor, then equip said weapon/armor, then sell back your old weapon/armor, all in a rapid sequence. You don't know how clumsy that stuff is even in modern JRPGs. The game is way more accessible to newcomers than older Persona/SMT games.

Thanks for the replies...bought the ultimate edition today. Beginning the new year with Persona. Let's see how it goes. Played couple of hrs. First impression is mixed. Liking the art style and weird surprises and the intrigue of the story builds up pretty quickly. Disliking the jarring shift in cutscenes...going from 3d models to anime cutscenes to 3d cutscenes feel a little weird. Hope I will get used it.

Btw downloading the japanes audio. Which is better japanese or english?

@Aruban There are only a limited number of anime cutscenes. Most of it is in the beginning. After that Anime cutscenes are only reserved for very important points in the game. Most of the cutscenes are the in-game 3d variety, same as gameplay. So savor the anime cutscenes when they do arrive.

Regarding VA, this is a rare game where both English and Japanese VAs are very good. Personally, I went with English for the first playthrough and am going with what my mood is in my post game playthrough (mix of English and Japanese). Try both and see what you like. 

Need a brief guide on how to play further...Raiding the first palace with the full 4 man squad and in the 2nd or 3rd save point. All the team members have SP's in the 10-20 range. How much further I can go on in the first run. How long are the palaces. Is it worth retreating now?

Basically how lenient I can be with the SP during the combat. I have been using it almost too much i think but it gets the job done. Is taking more days for the palace ok or I would I not get any benefit from that.

Save your SP and use it as little as possible for now since you can regen health through items or SP, but cannot regen SP.

Sometime later you will be able to make/buy items to regen SP and will also be able to buy an accessory that auto-regen's SP (depending on who you try to level-up in your confidants) after which you can be bit more liberal with SP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aruban said:

Need a brief guide on how to play further...Raiding the first palace with the full 4 man squad and in the 2nd or 3rd save point. All the team members have SP's in the 10-20 range. How much further I can go on in the first run. How long are the palaces. Is it worth retreating now?

Basically how lenient I can be with the SP during the combat. I have been using it almost too much i think but it gets the job done. Is taking more days for the palace ok or I would I not get any benefit from that.

Keep in mind that if you finish palaces soon(minimum number of days) then it gives you additional time to engage in activities to level up yourself or your confidants.

This games is brilliant! I am turning into a fan. Really glad people here advised me to get it. Once you get pass through the initial shock of anime style visuals, it really builds up to something good.

The turning point for me was today. Yesterday I was going to beat the boss of the first place. I was at level 9 and I thought it would be manageable since its the first boss. Boy I was wrong...he kicked my a*s three times in a row and I was getting frustrated. I put the game down and spent the entire work day raging over the boss. Now I wanted to kick his a*s as much as the game characters want to.

Today I picked it up back and then I realized what I was doing wrong. It was a battle of endurance and I was being aggressive instead of defensive. I switched my tactics and designated separate roles to each of my party members and I beat the boss without a hassle. Wow, never have I felt such a huge difference in results for a tactic in a game. And the final outcome in story after a few days felt all the more satisfying. I am liking JRPGs now.

Anyway there is a doubt, what's the use of the hp items we get from restaurants and vending machines if we cant use them in battle?

[mention=15908]Aruban[/mention] the HP items can be used mid battle by selecting the items option. But it'll take a turn of the character using it. Also, any character can use items on any character. 
As in, say the turn is on joker now but Ann has low health, so you can use the HP item on Ann. 

I know that...but I bought 4 pack hp item (forgot what it was called) from the tv and then also received it in the package and it was in inventory but during the boss battle it was not listed in the item menu. Similarly for the healing adhesives I bought from the store.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, adity said:

Digital sales, man. Physical copies are hard to find let alone at a cheap price. 

Ya bro.....should have got it during the last psn sale....I guess I'll have to wait a while now :mellow:

Edited by kold_war

• 4 weeks later...

Never played any of the persona games before and neither am I fan of rpg's...the only one I played and  liked was final fantasy 7 crisis core on PSP

Wanted to see what the hype is about this game.

Holy sh*t its so much fun!I'm like 10-11hrs in so far and still getting used to the game...raiding/intercepting castles is so damn tough BC ....I'm in the 1st castle as of now ....and its a struggle so far ?

Love the way this game looks....looks very stylish ?

Its so addictive this game.....had work today but ended up playing till 230am :P

Edited by kold_war

1 hour ago, adity said:

Always stagger. Exit, sell the treasures and upgrade weapons when low on sp. I get a stagger almost every time and the grunts are wiped out in the first turn almost every time. 

Also, remember to use healing items instead of auto heal which drains sp.. 

Oh I see....I rarely use auto recovery ....but didn't know it drains sp....won't use it that much then