Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slackerninja

IVG Podcast 24: Call of Duty, Amazon, Flappy Bird and Nintendo hipsters

On this week’s episode:

You can download or stream this week’s podcast here. Or if you have a podcast app on your device, throw our feed in there.

On Flappy Bird -

You guys talk about the developer gaming the system almost as a fact. It seems that your dislike for the game has informed your impressions about the reasons for its popularity to a great extent. I've read a number of articles about the game and the developer and there is absolutely no conclusive proof about the developer gaming the system. If there was, Apple (and maybe Google) would've taken some form of action long ago.

I really really like Flappy Bird. I've played a ton of games that have the same gameplay format but the simplicity of the game and its art-style makes it much more enjoyable and charming than the rest.

Also, the ads are totally non-intrusive. They're only shown on the start and game-over screen and they too are restricted to the status bar area (unlike the horrendous free zynga games). In fact the developer has stated that he didn't want to put out a paid (ad-free) version of the game because it was so simple and he thought it would be unfair to charge for it.

It's a pity the game is gone from all the app stores now. I feel you guys were very unfair to the game and the developer just because you didn't 'get it'. Criticizing the game for its gameplay is fair game but there were quite a few cheap shots taken at the developer for no good reason.

On Flappy Bird -

You guys talk about the developer gaming the system almost as a fact. It seems that your dislike for the game has informed your impressions about the reasons for its popularity to a great extent. I've read a number of articles about the game and the developer and there is absolutely no conclusive proof about the developer gaming the system. If there was, Apple (and maybe Google) would've taken some form of action long ago.

I really really like Flappy Bird. I've played a ton of games that have the same gameplay format but the simplicity of the game and its art-style makes it much more enjoyable and charming than the rest.

Also, the ads are totally non-intrusive. They're only shown on the start and game-over screen and they too are restricted to the status bar area (unlike the horrendous free zynga games). In fact the developer has stated that he didn't want to put out a paid (ad-free) version of the game because it was so simple and he thought it would be unfair to charge for it.

It's a pity the game is gone from all the app stores now. I feel you guys were very unfair to the game and the developer just because you didn't 'get it'. Criticizing the game for its gameplay is fair game but there were quite a few cheap shots taken at the developer for no good reason.

How do you expect a game that was out in May 2013 to magically start charting almost a year after launch?

Tons of apps with a million plus downloads exist without a review or two. This was filled to the brim with them. It definitely did game the system. Botnets are used in the mobile game development biz with extreme regularity by studios without the pockets of bigger publishers. These are known facts in the mobile development space.

Obligatory link: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/flappy-birds-smoke-mirrors-scamming-app-store/

And don't even get me started on the rip-off Nintendo visuals and physics from Badlands. All creative work is derivative, I get that, but don't make it that easy for me to know where the inspiration comes from.

How do you expect a game that was out in May 2013 to magically start charting almost a year after launch?

Tons of apps with a million plus downloads exist without a review or two. This was filled to the brim with them. It definitely did game the system. Botnets are used in the mobile game development biz with extreme regularity by studios without the pockets of bigger publishers. These are known facts in the mobile development space.

Obligatory link: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/flappy-birds-smoke-mirrors-scamming-app-store/

And don't even get me started on the rip-off Nintendo visuals and physics from Badlands. All creative work is derivative, I get that, but don't make it that easy for me to know where the inspiration comes from.

Looks like you omitted a few more obligatory links

28 Days of Fame: The Strange, True Story of 'Flappy Bird'

The game's sheer success has led some critics to accuse Nguyen of using shady practices — including buying traffic or paying for fake reviews — in order to help Flappy Bird ascend the app charts. After looking at the data that corresponds to when Flappy Bird started to build word-of-mouth buzz, however, we can't find any signs of impropriety, or manipulation of reviews or ratings.

Why Flappy Bird’s success is probably legit

How in-app review mechanics pushed Flappy Bird to the top of the charts

Finally a podcast which also has nintendo as topic :P

Ya the pricing of Nintendo consoles on online stores is too much , i had ordered normal red 3ds from flipkart in December 2012 then cancelled it and got 3ds xl for same price in grey while flipkart has 3ds xl for 22k lol. now you can get a game bundled for 16k while still online retailers sale for 22k.

I mostly get my games from amazon usa which is still less than flipkart price .do anyone of you know where we can get awesome titles like mario and luigi dream team and better ninty titles in grey in Mumbai at cheaper price than online . most of the titles on flipkart is either sh*t or priced way high.

Wii U price on flipkart is atrocious anyone ordering should get from grey or if they have anyone known people living in usa .

Finally a podcast which also has nintendo as topic :P

Ya the pricing of Nintendo consoles on online stores is too much , i had ordered normal red 3ds from flipkart in December 2012 then cancelled it and got 3ds xl for same price in grey while flipkart has 3ds xl for 22k lol. now you can get a game bundled for 16k while still online retailers sale for 22k.

I mostly get my games from amazon usa which is still less than flipkart price .do anyone of you know where we can get awesome titles like mario and luigi dream team and better ninty titles in grey in Mumbai at cheaper price than online . most of the titles on flipkart is either sh*t or priced way high.

Wii U price on flipkart is atrocious anyone ordering should get from grey or if they have anyone known people living in usa .

Ninja Traders in Mumbai has quite a few. They got Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon etc. Decent pricing too. Give them a call. And yeah, grabbed this beauty for INR 16K:

de8c315091ba11e3aea30a57faba6a61_8.jpg

Did you even read the article before posting it?

Quoted from the same -

This is all interesting, but none of it quite proves any shenanigans to game the system. Some have suggested that users on Twitter seem to have spontaneously started competing (possibly ironically, at first) to create the best/stupidest review of the game, leading to a viral ranking and attention explosion. Nguyen, for his part, has repeatedly and directly denied that he paid to promote the app in any way and has expressed bafflement at how or why it became so popular so quickly.

Did you even read the article before posting it?

Quoted from the same -

Yes I did. But it's still quite murky don't you think?

As it stands, no one knows if he gamed the system or not. I think he has based on what I have seen in the mobile development space, a lot of downloads are paid for to start with. No one has the balls to admit to it but it happens more often than anyone would like to believe.

Ninja Traders in Mumbai has quite a few. They got Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon etc. Decent pricing too. Give them a call. And yeah, grabbed this beauty for INR 16K:

de8c315091ba11e3aea30a57faba6a61_8.jpg

wow that 3ds looks awesome

will try ninja trades thanks for info :)