The Formula 1 Thread

MarketTantrik

On 9/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, Cash said:

It is a racing incident with Max more to blame like silverstone was more Hamilton. Since both DNF'd, 3 Place grid drop is equivalent to 10 second time penalty.

Should have added another 5 secs for piss poor judgement.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, Walker said:

Should have added another 5 secs for piss poor judgement.

And another 5 for piss-poor sportsmanship. Apparently you don't need to check on your fellow driver if you land a tire on their head.

28 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

And another 5 for piss-poor sportsmanship. Apparently you don't need to check on your fellow driver if you land a tire on their head.

He was revving his car and trying to get it out before VER even got out of his car. What else did you expect?

33 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

He was revving his car and trying to get it out before VER even got out of his car. What else did you expect?

I've heard that argument before. These are complex machines where mechanical faults (like, surprise, from a collision) can likely cause the car to auto-rev. The sportsman-like thing to do would be to check on your fellow contestant, just to be sure.

I've seen better conduct in sports where you wouldn't expect it, such as MMA.

5 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

I've heard that argument before. These are complex machines where mechanical faults (like, surprise, from a collision) can likely cause the car to auto-rev. The sportsman-like thing to do would be to check on your fellow contestant, just to be sure.

I've seen better conduct in sports where you wouldn't expect it, such as MMA.

You haven't F1 long enough then. Go back to Schumacher era and see the conduct.

And HAM admitted that he was revving until he was told by the team to stop and VER also did an interview where he mentioned that he saw him revving and knew he was fine.

4 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

You haven't F1 long enough then. Go back to Schumacher era and see the conduct.

And HAM admitted that he was revving until he was told by the team to stop and VER also did an interview where he mentioned that he saw him revving and knew he was fine.

You don't know how long I've been watching F1 (and you didn't check), so that's just an assumption.

And I don't think you see the point. It's not about *whether* he was revving or not. There was no way to be sure at that very delicate point in time, so what do you do when you don't know? You check to be sure. I see that all the time in other sports, and I'm not sure if you're implying that the past condones bad behavior - which would be unfortunate. Again, just my 2c so there's no need to take offense over an opinion :)

Edited by Keyofx

15 minutes ago, Keyofx said:

You don't know how long I've been watching F1 (and you didn't check), so that's just an assumption.

And I don't think you see the point. It's not about *whether* he was revving or not. There was no way to be sure at that very delicate point in time, so what do you do when you don't know? You check to be sure. I see that all the time in other sports, and I'm not sure if you're implying that the past condones bad behavior - which would be unfortunate. Again, just my 2c so there's no need to take offense over an opinion :)

Bro, I am not getting offensive. I apologise if it came off that way.

And saying that you haven't watched enough was just a figure of speech, I didn't mean it literally.

Past behaviour doesn't condone this, I agree but hardly ever you will see two competitive, championship drivers keep it cool after a crash like this, especially after Silverstone.

It's good to maintain sportsmanship but honestly in such situations your first reaction is of anger + fury and it makes sense to just walk off if you can see the other person being alright.

HAM & ROS didn't even see an eye to eye after their crash. If you go back to it, HAM threw his wheel and walked off. Later gone on to say "We are not friends" to media.

So it's ideal to do the right thing but doesn't always happen.

Unless you are Seb.

22 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Past behaviour doesn't condone this, I agree but hardly ever you will see two competitive, championship drivers keep it cool after a crash like this, especially after Silverstone.

It's good to maintain sportsmanship but honestly in such situations your first reaction is of anger + fury and it makes sense to just walk off if you can see the other person being alright.

HAM & ROS didn't even see an eye to eye after their crash. If you go back to it, HAM threw his wheel and walked off. Later gone on to say "We are not friends" to media.

So it's ideal to do the right thing but doesn't always happen.

Unless you are Seb.

No worries, there are good discussions!

Yea, Hamilton/Rosberg was a pretty low intensity crash as compared to a car landing on someone's head :D All that said, this particulat walk off was pretty sad. It's a competitive sport (as all sports are), but you have to expect better from adults. And he had time to think about it as he walked back too :D 

I can't recall specific instances, but I know Vettel checked on Norris in that crash in qualifying from a few months ago. And look up the Senna/Comas incident (Belgian GP, again). Comas' foot was still on the accelerator even though he was unconscious when Senna stopped to check on him. We need to expect better, ideally.

Edited by Keyofx

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cash said:

Will be difficult for Hamilton to recover this championship now.

Unless someone torpedos into max in the next race

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cash said:

Will be difficult for Hamilton to recover this championship now.

Takes just one wrong move, they are too close.

But yesterday max was ice cool, i thought hamilton will overtake him with few laps to spare, great driving.

Thats true, its still just a torpedo or wrong move away but under normal conditions, its tough. Next 2 races are red bull territory and then the last 3 races, Bottas will have to show up high and secure 1-2s for Hamilton to stand a chance.

But yea this is F1, Anything can happen. What an exciting season this has been.