Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Doing lengthy cardio sessions and whatever heavy leg/core workout you do is one thing and starting football again (feeling you are ready) is another.

You always start from zero or close to it with lots of struggle wrt your body.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Thats because you lose muscle in lengthy cardio, whereas I'd reckon you need muscle for Football.

21 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

Thats because you lose muscle in lengthy cardio, whereas I'd reckon you need muscle for Football.

Been exercising a lot as well.

Different types of 100 squats, lunges and knee exercises and all the other stuff - an hour leg workout at least which i never did before and was in better condition it seems.

I think playing regularly on the hard field is all the difference after a long gap.

Weight has reduced though from 65-66 to 62 ( 5.10 )

Eleptical machine is known to build muscles as well as opposed to the treadmill ?

1 minute ago, GunnerY2J said:

Different types of 100 squats, lunges and knee exercises and all the other stuff - an hour leg workout at least which i never did before and was in better condition it seems.

I think playing regularly on the hard field is all the difference after a long gap.

Eleptical machine is known to build muscles as well as opposed to the treadmill ?

It's not about muscle loss from cardio or the hard field. Any machine such as a treadmill or elliptical pushes your leg to drive you forward. An opposing acting force to get you going but that's not the case in football. You can train all your life on such machines and still gas out on the field.

And any of those can help you build muscle but in treadmill you will need to use incline while in elliptical a higher setting.

I assume this is just because you were out of the game a long time and your body especially lungs need to get habituated with metabolising that much oxygen.

Just keep at it.

• Like 1

My knee ligament gave up actually to a point I can't walk without pain.

I do agree that activity on machines although more sweaty is definitely easier than the real thing.

Yes, eleptical I moved up to level 6 for 50 minutes.

@adity there's an absolutely amazing beginner friendly and explanatory video I started with for back pain - it has many different levels for weight loss and core strengthening without back pain.

Start with this and switch to other exercises.

Because other intense ones will get to the back first which is very critical.

Edited by GunnerY2J

1 hour ago, GunnerY2J said:

Elleptical machine is good if youre going for HIIT. 

I don't know what's wrong, if it's the nutrition or weak muscles/bones/shape or lack of strength or because of past injury.

I have been told to change my running style (to run more on toes) but that can't be changed.

I have good stamina, I hardly ever run out of gas and can keep on running on and on everywhere and has been like this from a long time but I am highly injury prone, can take a few good hits as well (not that kind of injuries), more like injuries that you give yourself.

Edit :

This is it, all my life I have been a heel runner and considering I always over run myself ,this could be the root cause of the two main injuries I have had : knee and a herniated disc.

I need to try running on my toes now even if it means I end up running half.

Edited by GunnerY2J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok,last eleptical post.

Started around 6 or 7 months back while recovering from a herniated disc injury and this is actually one of the very few machines which doesn't impact the back much regardless the amount.

Now am able to do level 10 for 50 minutes as a starting exercise while maintaining a decent speed of 52 cycles per minute (shifted to level 12 for a quarter amount of time maybe)

And the result is a 535 calories burn in 50 minutes which I think is good.

Next year, let's see how much I can do at the maximum level 15 limit of the machine.

8d78685e3b4111babd98e90402309e77.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

I'm curious how you've herniated your back, considering you mostly post of long cardio sessions? Or are these injuries from some past eexcercise routines? 

I know people at the gym who lift f**king heavy and havent had a single injury (i myself have had a shoulder injury or 2 here and there though).

i'm curious cause am myself considering increasing my cardio as I've gained a little fat on my muscle and trying to get leaner.

If you want to run on your toes you need special shoes with minimal sole design or run bare foot on a flat grass, because most running shoes are designed to hit the heel first. If you try to tiptoe with them you'll eventually trip and fall. This is not an issue in treadmill though, only if you're running outdoor. So if you're prone to injuries, run barefoot on a treadmill with a small incline.

1 hour ago, Playstationdude said:

I'm curious how you've herniated your back, considering you mostly post of long cardio sessions? Or are these injuries from some past eexcercise routines? 

I know people at the gym who lift f**king heavy and havent had a single injury (i myself have had a shoulder injury or 2 here and there though).

i'm curious cause am myself considering increasing my cardio as I've gained a little fat on my muscle and trying to get leaner.

Have been playing football for a long time.

Many factors could be the reason :

Being a heel runner for one and always over running myself, and maybe maybe always using unbranded football shoes (probably not)

And my game is based on using my back a lot, not fast but run more and always bring my body in between the ball and player first to earn fouls without ever exercising to strengthen the back.

Cardio is very trivial compared to the real thing, When used to go to gym, people used to come over to see how I manage to run for so long at a high speed.

So Nothing to do with cardio machines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

If you want to run on your toes you need special shoes with minimal sole design or run bare foot on a flat grass, because most running shoes are designed to hit the heel first. If you try to tiptoe with them you'll eventually trip and fall. This is not an issue in treadmill though, only if you're running outdoor. So if you're prone to injuries, run barefoot on a treadmill with a small incline.

I am definitely Injury prone

Not cardio injury prone - football injury prone : knee and lower back mainly.

And it's Football shoes.

I don't know, seems I was among only two or three people who didn't run on toes, I have been told multiple times but I still don't know how to change something so natural.

I tried to do that and it wasn't clicking.

Need to try again.

I ve lost the will to run on roads now.

No intention of joining the gym either, do plenty of at home exercises while following Youtube, would keep me pain free at least.

15 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Ok,last eleptical post.

Started around 6 or 7 months back while recovering from a herniated disc injury and this is actually one of the very few machines which doesn't impact the back much regardless the amount.

Welcome to the slipped disc club,  already a member of it since two years :P

What exercises do you follow for your back and which part of the body you felt pain due to herniated disc. 

and Happy New Year to all IVG members and wish that all stay healthy.

Edited by Kirti

58 minutes ago, Kirti said:
Welcome to the slipped disc club,  already a member of it since two years [emoji14]
What exercises do you follow for your back and which part of the body you felt pain due to herniated disc. 
 and Happy New Year to all IVG members and wish that all stay healthy.

Been 2 years as well.

Pinching pain.
Used to feel it everytime.

The day it started couldn't move an inch without pain but kept playing for a good 4-6 months without looking into it and ultimately gave up (rightfully)
Only low back though, maybe knee issue is related with it.

Did physio,accunpunture, swimming,(swimming is definitely helpful but I don't like it)

and ayurvedic kerela massage (didn't do more than a week, the therapist was not getting directly to the back issue part - was very expensive)

and medicine was absolutely useless, not even temporary relief.

But started to exercise on my own while following lots of videos gradually, and mainly the eleptical has been great for it as it is a great warm up without stressing anything and helps me to exercise much more, otherwise I can't.

Now do lots.
Started with stretching exercises, then strengthening, some Pilates and now do many exercises : especially core and back exercises.
Very rarely it comes back now after over working while playing football or cycling but all's well now for the past 4-5 months.
It depends on what works for you.

Can give links but it will be many videos if you would (should) like to try.

Edited by GunnerY2J

12 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

I am definitely Injury prone

Not cardio injury prone - football injury prone : knee and lower back mainly.

And it's Football shoes.

I don't know, seems I was among only two or three people who didn't run on toes, I have been told multiple times but I still don't know how to change something so natural.

I tried to do that and it wasn't clicking.

Need to try again.

I ve lost the will to run on roads now.

No intention of joining the gym either, do plenty of at home exercises while following Youtube, would keep me pain free at least.

Like I said, if you want to correct your running stance, you should run barefoot. Preferably on a track or soft grass so you don't cut yourself. Treadmill is the safest for barefoot running. You absolutely can not run on heels when barefoot because the impact is super painful, so it'll automatically correct your posture. It'll also strengthen your shins and Achilles tendons.

• Like 1

Started with this, now i do this only as a cool down.

This is some real instant fix.

this is an amazing way to build up to other complex ones.

can be harsh to the back but strengthens.

This is a struggle everytime and great way to do 3 minutes.

And this playlist of home work outs by this channel are the best on YouTube, no equipments needed and are actually hard and intense, you and people will feel you are doing nothing, just moving hands.

These all are done almost everytime after 20 or 50 minutes eleptical.

And then some other regular known  exercises and standing cardio exercises which I have downloaded.

Would try barefoot running, I tried to run on toes while playing football and it didn't work.

Edited by GunnerY2J

7 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Been 2 years as well.

Pinching pain.
Used to feel it everytime.

The day it started couldn't move an inch without pain but kept playing for a good 4-6 months without looking into it and ultimately gave up (rightfully)
Only low back though, maybe knee issue is related with it.

My pain used to start from right hip all the way down to legs, with numbness in lower leg and the pain used to go in my right testicle also, it was hell man.

Stopped using bike as it was also a reason of pain.

Did follow Athlean-x, this guy is good.

But there are only one or two exercises for slipped disc. The one which I do is Back Extension in which you lie down on your stomach and raise your front body.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Kirti said:

My pain used to start from right hip all the way down to legs, with numbness in lower leg and the pain used to go in my right testicle also, it was hell man.

That's seriously sad, 

How is it now ? 

Only back extension worked for you ?

Can't imagine if the pain also gets to the other parts, would be 10 times harder to get back, but there should definitely be more exercises to follow.

7 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

That's seriously sad, 

How is it now ? 

Only back extension worked for you ?

Can't imagine if the pain also gets to the other parts, would be 10 times harder to get back, but there should definitely be more exercises to follow.

unless you know the cause of chronic and consistent pain, do not try to correct it yourself, consult an orthopedician and a physiotherapist before following any videos you may have seen online or advise from a layman. being a dotor and a calisthenic athlete, i cannot put more stress on self medication and treatment.