Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

6 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

You are slim, why are you fasting or have gained weight now ?

I don't know. I kind of feel heavy around 70 kg. Can't jump or run much. Run out of breath very fast. 

My old goal was to gain lot of weight and follow Hemsworth's workout but I never seems to bulk up. So now I want to go back to high 50-low 60 kg now where I felt more comfy. 

I don't know. I kind of feel heavy around 70 kg. Can't jump or run much. Run out of breath very fast. 

My old goal was to gain lot of weight and follow Hemsworth's workout but I never seems to bulk up. So now I want to go back to high 50-low 60 kg now where I felt more comfy. 

Whenever I feel like I am running out of breath I incorporate kettlebell swings & loaded carries (lift something and walk with it) in my workout. Learn proper form, get a kettlebell & you will soon notice difference in a couple of weeks.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Cool said:

Height ? 

I vary around 62-65 kgs (anything below 62 is kind of underweight I feel - even 62 is), Height: 5.10

Whenever I feel like I am running out of breath I incorporate kettlebell swings & loaded carries (lift something and walk with it) in my workout. Learn proper form, get a kettlebell & you will soon notice difference in a couple of weeks.

Just now, GunnerY2J said:

Height ? 

I vary around 62-65 kgs (anything below 62 is kind of underweight I feel - even 62 is), Height: 5.10

Yep. Around same height. 180cm. 

For me 58-62 kgs was ideal and didn't feel heavy. For last 1-2 years I got plenty of free time and no exercise; not even casual workout and it seem to have impact on body. Don't want to continue like this. 

Leg exercises look simple but they directly tap into your cardiovascular well and makes your heartrate shoot like crazy. It's a double whammy of strength plus cardio, which is why people tend to skip leg days. It sorta brings them down to earth. If you're new to working out I'd suggest doing upper body strength and do cycling or swimming for cardio. Once you're comfortable with that you can add lower body strength with leg press machine. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 9:26 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Following this 30 day leg workout.

Everyday he's going to upload a different leg workout.

29 days more.

Missed day 3,

So did day 3 and 4 together in a go along with 200 varied squats (2 sets of 100 each)

And some 38 minutes : cardio exercises and light upper body as well of the same channel.

@Joe Cool Consult a fitness trainer first before you exercise. Every person's body is different, and permanent pain is definitely not normal (No matter what YT says). A fitness trainer will first look at your body and condition, and give you a specialized workout based on that. And work-out always gradually ramps up in intensity. It doesn't start intense. Some wrong forms can cause damage. And if you accidentally damage your nerve or spine, it can be extremely dangerous, and can cause permanent damage. You will also have to watch your breathing, while you are working out.

I work-out with a trainer, and I realize that many times, during work out, you will automatically do the wrong motions, without realizing it. You need a trainer nearby to correct it, or you risk injury. The YT trainers just cannot do that. The brain automatically signals the body to get the maximum support possible and reduce pain, which by itself might be wrong motion which risks injury. And many times - the YT trainers are themselves very fir - which you might not be, so you should not be doing what they are doing.

How exercise makes up the body is - you injure and tear the muscles in work-out. The body heals the muscles in rest. And when the muscles are healed, it grows stronger. That's why people give a gap of 1 day before doing the same work-out again (In the interim they will do something else, like running if you did weights the day before etc.) If you are in constant pain - your body is not getting enough time to heal those muscles. This defeats the purpose of the work-out itself. You are simply torturing yourself.

I would highly recommend you to appoint a good personal fitness trainer - one who can give personal attention to you (Unlike the Gym ones who will train 15 people at once and not pay much attention to anyone in particular). They might be a bit pricey, but they are highly worth it and recommended if you are going on a work-out regimen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, roun90 said:

If you are in constant pain - your body is not getting enough time to heal those muscles. This defeats the purpose of the work-out itself. You are simply torturing yourself.

Had this issue with calves and the pain was unbearable. Almost needed a support to sit/stand. Even after resting, I noticed no change and eventually after 3 days it somewhat lowered. Still not fully fit but much better today. Thighs are pretty much healed. 

I didn't expect this to happen right away especially after just 30 minute of training. Something went wrong I guess. Though I do feel better overall even with little exercise. So definitely want to continue and will check with trainer as I don't want to get injured often.  ?

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

Had this issue with calves and the pain was unbearable. Almost needed a support to sit/stand. Even after resting, I noticed no change and eventually after 3 days it somewhat lowered. Still not fully fit but much better today. Thighs are pretty much healed. 

I didn't expect this to happen right away especially after just 30 minute of training. Something went wrong I guess. Though I do feel better overall even with little exercise. So definitely want to continue and will check with trainer as I don't want to get injured often.  ?

There can be plenty that goes wrong. Your back bent the wrong way or too much - you are injuring your spine, for example. You do not breathe properly - inhaling when you should be exhaling, for example (a very common mistake) - your work-out efficiency is lowered. You do not give sufficient gap between sets - again risk of injury. You give too much gap between sets - your body has started cooling down and efficiency is lowered. Warm ups are not proper - you will not be able to do proper work out at all etc.

And the worst part is - you will not always know what is wrong. And in the case of injury to the nerves, it is also possible that the area where it is paining, is not the area where injury has occurred. You also need to do proper stretches sometimes, so you are flexible enough to do the work-outs in the first place. And sometimes, the injuries can be really severe. For example, if your spine or nervous system is highly damaged - you might end up paralyzed. 

Don't go by minutes. It all depends on the body. Some of the most intense work-outs last only for 15 -20 minutes or so. And that is enough. Work-out depends on the individual body. What's right for you, may not be right for me and vice-versa.

And needing support to sit/stand for 3 days means you did something wrong.

You should always have a personal trainer when you work out (Except maybe if you are just walking/ jogging/running). Proper squats and cardio - it is highly recommended. Weight Training - It's not just recommended, it's a necessity. Don't touch weights, without a trainer at all (unless you are an already experienced body-builder or something).

Think of it this way - would you do your own physiotherapy? Hard work-out is also the same. There are trainers who are highly qualified for it. They have studied the subject and have degrees on it as well. And they know what exercise will affect which muscle, whether the posture you are doing is correct or wrong, at what level can you work out  safely and which will give best results, when to increase the work-out load etc. Hire them, follow their advise and do work-out in their presence. They might cost a bit. But they are worth it. You will get the best results safely and without any injury/having to spend money for hospitals.

Edited by roun90

72 hours is actually recommended time to recover from DOMS unless you're Cap America. At my age it actually lasts for 4 days on the first try, especially for longer muscles like quads and glutes. The real fun is when you want to sit down for a dump :lol:  The struggle is real after first leg day after a long break.

Back feels good after this.

But isn't he asking to arc the back forward too much while sqautting ? (From 4 min 30 second mark and 8 min sqauts start)

Shouldn't the back be straight ? Or it is better to always arch the back forward instead of straight ?

A bit confused if I have been doing squats wrong with a neutral back instead of keeping the chest forward.

I mean if the chest is forward there would be a forward arc in the back.

Does this mean straight only ?

@Freelancer

Edited by GunnerY2J

Done.

After I was done for today, randomly found this 1000 squats and lunges challenge.

Had thought would do 500, but the lady said in between I challenge you to do 500 more.

and could do around 875 only in the same time frame (she is fast), so did a third extra set to make it 1000.

The last combination of squat and reverse lunge together is brutal.

Edit : I have already eaten 2 full meals after the workout in 4 hours and still easily getting hungry.

Edited by GunnerY2J

On 1/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Back feels good after this.

But isn't he asking to arc the back forward too much while sqautting ? (From 4 min 30 second mark and 8 min sqauts start)

Shouldn't the back be straight ? Or it is better to always arch the back forward instead of straight ?

A bit confused if I have been doing squats wrong with a neutral back instead of keeping the chest forward.

I mean if the chest is forward there would be a forward arc in the back.

Does this mean straight only ?

@Freelancer

Hey just curious as in what are your current goals in terms of fitness or strength?

2 hours ago, gs_RoXxX said:

Hey just curious as in what are your current goals in terms of fitness or strength?

Stay pain free,

Exercise daily (as it does feel good)

Develop some leg (along with some leg muscles) and core strength.

And maybe :

make into the local football team again while being injury free (this is what's improbable and maybe I want to delay it but makes me want to exercise thinking I have a chance)

So after almost a year's break (thank you genetically inferior knees) did a proper leg workout. Deadlifts, barbell squats, 250 pound leg press, hamstring curls, the works. Couldn't get down the stairs without holding railings after the workout but felt great. That was 5 days ago and they're still soar. Looks like I can only fit one solid heavy leg day per week. 15 years ago I could've fit 3 per week while binge drinking on weekends and getting blacked out. Getting old fking sucks.

• Like 1