Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

16 minutes ago, Banz said:

If you have a straight stretch of 5-7 metres or more in your home or building terrace, you can do brisk walking, jogging or running. A woman in Britain recently ran a whole marathon in her backyard and it was not more than 5-6 metres long. 

Skipping is not that hard to learn. Do single jumps with the rope to get your jump timing right. You only need to twist your wrists and make tiny jumps (3-5 cm). Start with a very slow pace (50-60 jumps per minute) and only concentrate on rhythm first. Then build up to 100/min within a day. With practice and improved stamina you can do close to 200 jumps per minute. 

Other then that you can do many body weight exercises at home like pushups and squats. 

I'll follow that, skipping looks fun too.

I'm no good at pushups, and its no fun either

PS- There are people still walking outside, despite the covid case. 

So there's a good chance I can still continue to cycle like usual. 

14 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

Jump rope. I've been doing for about just over a month. Only 30min is enough to kick your a*s big time. When I started out I could barely do more than 100 total and 10 in a row. Now just yesterday I did my first 1k without tripping and 5000 total in about 40 min. It is relatively low impact, will shoot your heart rate through the roof and burns insane amount of calories (1000+ per hr)

Rising from 10 a set to 1000 a set in a month is damn good.

I had my brother rope lying around from 10 years ago, tried today after regular exercises and could do : 30,20 and 81 rope swings.

Each swing I do two jumps instead of one : is this a problem ? Rhythm doesn't match with one jump per swing and can't swing the rope fast enough.

Two jumps has same effective ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

49 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Rising from 10 a set to 1000 a set in a month is damn good.

I had my brother rope lying around from 10 years ago, tried today after regular exercises and could do : 30,20 and 81 rope swings.

Each swing I do two jumps instead of one : is this a problem ? Rhythm doesn't match with one jump per swing and can't swing the rope fast enough.

Two jumps has same effective ?

No you should always do one jump per swing no matter how slow your swing. Your speed and tempo will eventually increase to 150-200 swings per min and 2 jumps per swing will be impossible to maintain. Believe it or not the limiting factor is not your legs but your arms, they get tired way earlier than your calves. So when you build up more strength and endurance in your forearms, your legs will have to keep up and they can't do 2 jumps per swing.

Lots of videos about it on youtube, for eg..

2 hours ago, playstationdude said:

Sometimes I just do jump ropes without the actual rope :P

Almost the same benefit since I'm used to the rhythm but more convenient when I'm supersetting with Burpees as arms don't tire.

I don't think I have a rope around. 

Might as well do it without the rope xD

3 hours ago, CarbonCore said:

No you should always do one jump per swing no matter how slow your swing. Your speed and tempo will eventually increase to 150-200 swings per min and 2 jumps per swing will be impossible to maintain. Believe it or not the limiting factor is not your legs but your arms, they get tired way earlier than your calves. So when you build up more strength and endurance in your forearms, your legs will have to keep up and they can't do 2 jumps per swing.

Lots of videos about it on youtube, for eg..

Oh, I can't even do 10 with one jump per swing and have to jump awkwardly higher for one jump per swing, 

And stopping slightly for the rope to come disturbs the flow and i get caught.

The comfortable rhythm is small two jumps per swing, would see what is the speed per minute tomorrow.

Don't know if can switch, will try if not would wait till I improve the swing speed.

More reps with poor technique is worse than less reps :(

Speed is around 90 per minute but can't do more than 30 with one jump per swing.

And this metal ring hurts the toes so I stuck it at one end.

Or should I do with shoes on ?

What is the purpose of the ring in the middle ? Friction ?

@CarbonCore

Also, the bearings are rusted if it matters a lot ?

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

d75227393b3436a11b6c48b4949cafc1.jpg

Edited by GunnerY2J

The spring saves the part of the rope that hits the ground from wear and tear, plus it adds some weight and keeps it from kinking in the middle. You can remove it if you want but then the bare rope will hit the ground. You can add some oil to the bearing, as long as they're freely rotating it doesn't matter if rusted or not.

Also definitely wear shoes with soft cushioning and avoid jumping on hard surface, because when the rope hits your pinky it hurts like hell lol. 

• Thanks 1

Started doing push ups everyday in the bathroom just before hitting the shower from 7-9 days, even if I do nothing else thought should at least do this.

Managed 105 today in 3 sets - 40,35,30.

(3 minute gap and 2 minutes gap after the first and second set respectively - yes, very high gap)

But being thin and always having a relatively very weak upper body, crossing 100 was a good target.

22 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Started doing push ups everyday in the bathroom just before hitting the shower from 7-9 days, even if I do nothing else thought should at least do this.

Managed 105 today in 3 sets - 40,35,30.

(3 minute gap and 2 minutes gap after the first and second set respectively - yes, very high gap)

But being thin and always having a relatively very weak upper body, crossing 100 was a good target.

No actually the gap isnt too high as the number of pushups is decent.

For upto 25 pushups 1 min is sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...

124 push-ups today in 3 sets : 43, 47 (highest ever) and 34

8 minute and 4 minute gaps respectively.

Done after a week as neck had been bothering after overdoing some form of crunches - wrongly tried to come up with a jerk from the neck.

Any neck strengthening exercises as well to incorporate ?

Is this healthy to do ? Seems a rather sensitive part to work.

Edited by GunnerY2J

50 pushups in a row, not going completely down for this, as wanted it to be below a minute and not sure if would be able to do 50 for that version.

I read 90 degrees is still proper form for a push up.

Anything else I can improve in my form ?

Sometimes when done many, neck hurts.

Shoulders are mostly fine.

Edited by GunnerY2J

16 minutes ago, KWC said:

Check this video for proper form!

Why are you in a hurry, it is not a numbers game!

Yes, I'm following this as far as I can tell.

I just look forward in place of down, everybody says looking down makes it easy : is that the reason ?

Just wanted to hit 50 in a set, so the hurry. 

And I like the numbers thing be it KM's, reps etc - motivating factor.

Otherwise yes, slow reps have more form and are more difficult and effective.

Edited by GunnerY2J

9 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Yes, I'm following this as far as I can tell.

I just look forward in place of down, everybody says looking down makes it easy : is that the reason ?

Just wanted to hit 50 in a set, so the hurry. 

And I like the numbers thing be it KM's, reps etc - motivating factor.

Otherwise yes, slow reps have more form and are more difficult and effective.

9 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Go slow, it is not an achievement game. You want to build strength and muscles right?

Or what is the objective?

1 minute ago, KWC said:

Go slow, it is not an achievement game. You want to build strength and muscles right?

Or what is the objective?

Muscles not the primary goal : an added bonus - have had growth in the shoulder and a bit in the upper back - and my back has been a weak area of my body.

Also, not exercising brings back my low back pain so that's another reason.

Endurance and strength,yes.

I mainly want to improve my performance in football and cycling, both are off these days.

Need to enjoy them and numbers do give a sense of progression,

first wanted to hit 100 in 3 sets : done.

Now from a few days, wanted to hit 50 in a set, so paced up.

Now maybe the same numbers again but slower.

Don't have a pull up bar which could have been nice.

22 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Muscles not the primary goal : an added bonus - have had growth in the shoulder and a bit in the upper back - and my back has been a weak area of my body.

Also, not exercising brings back my low back pain so that's another reason.

Endurance and strength,yes.

I mainly want to improve my performance in football and cycling, both are off these days.

Need to enjoy them and numbers do give a sense of progression,

first wanted to hit 100 in 3 sets : done.

Now from a few days, wanted to hit 50 in a set, so paced up.

Now maybe the same numbers again but slower.

Don't have a pull up bar which could have been nice.

Yeah, I have one at home.. I think you can get in on Amazon or something, pretty useful

I have something like this, although I added longer screws than the ones they provided.

https://www.amazon.in/Doorway-Frame-Exercise-Fitness-Workout/dp/B07D5W6KJW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=pull+up+bar&qid=1592145582&sr=8-2

Lower back usually means need to add a lot of core exercises, mainly static holds.

Edited by KWC

41 minutes ago, KWC said:

Yeah, I have one at home.. I think you can get in on Amazon or something, pretty useful

I have something like this, although I added longer screws than the ones they provided.

https://www.amazon.in/Doorway-Frame-Exercise-Fitness-Workout/dp/B07D5W6KJW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=pull+up+bar&qid=1592145582&sr=8-2

Lower back usually means need to add a lot of core exercises, mainly static holds.

699 is regular price, does it go lower ?

I'd like to buy it, but let's see if some cheaper 'jugaad' can be done.

I do core exercises like : plank, and some variations of supermans and stuff, follow some at home bodyweight channels.

Leg workouts I like and need to do more.