Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

39 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

More importantly @playstationdude

Those are some pretty snazzy curtains you've got there

lol thanks. Though they are the cheap readymade ones. Cost like 400rs per curtain. :P

1 hour ago, radicaldude said:

Damages?

Is the unit stable?

What is the total height of the unit?

10800 from Amazon. It seems stable so far, did a bit of leg raises and pullups today. Lets see. Though fair warning, I had to assemble everything myself. Each and everything is disassembled and seller had informed me it would have to be self assembled due to covid.

It was time consuming but fairly straightforward to assemble though.

height is qround 7 feet I think. The top of the bar can be adjusted 5-6 inches down( did the same).

Edited by playstationdude

Just now, adity said:

I am about to lose that much on stock options. This is a much better use of money I'd say. 

This is definitely a good use of money if one uses it.

I'm pretty clueless about stocks and stuff though. Although wouldn't being patient and waiting for the stocks market to rise again the point in all this?

I mean, this is coming from a dude who opened a bank account for the first time 6 months back so don't judge me.

But I am slowly developing an interest in this whole thing, watched a couple of youtube videos to get a general idea.

https://youtu.be/b2VzYHpJxiQ

Wrong thread, but sharing in case if it adds any value to you

Weighed myself after 50-60 days maybe.

Was assuming weight must have at least stayed the same if not reduced.

But 3 kg increment - first time ever crossed 64.

Now it's 65.7 : 5 ft. 10. (67.5 after lunch) - no fat increment, fat only seems to have lowered further. 

Need to check now, my cardio stamina (cycling etc) must have reduced.

Edited by GunnerY2J

Attempt to cross the adjacent state border (Madhya Pradesh) failed with 25 Kilometres still left out of the total 130.

Although being able to reach back still feels like an impossible task done,
Out of gas but most frustratingly at 35 degrees a scorching sun all the way back, entire skin burnt it was so hot and dehydrating.

Possibly, another attempt soon.

Cycle is single speed hawk.1b97cd3bcfb2ac4eaa99362a028bbe4e.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

Attempt to cross the adjacent state border (Madhya Pradesh) failed with 25 Kilometres still left out of the total 130.

Although being able to reach back still feels like an impossible task done,
Out of gas but most frustratingly at 35 degrees a scorching sun all the way back, entire skin burnt it was so hot and dehydrating.

Possibly, another attempt soon.

Cycle is single speed hawk.1b97cd3bcfb2ac4eaa99362a028bbe4e.jpg

18 minutes ago, playstationdude said:
I dont think its healthy to ride such long distances in hot temperatures.  

Yes, incredibly punishing.
I have a very bad luck.
It's been cloudy and raining for some days and mildy cool.

The day I decide to go and I start late at 7 am, the way back (10 to 1) was pure hell - torture.
My whole hands and face are burnt.
Completely black.

I was begging to god just give me an hour of shade, just an hour on the way back, I don't believe in God but I was so desperate.

Also cursing myself.

Nothing helped but not having to resort to walking felt a huge accomplishment given the circumstances.

Still feeling very dehydrated and done even though I kept drinking water.

Edited by GunnerY2J

• 2 weeks later...

Not direclty related to fitness, but is there any good online courses on guided meditation ?  I've followed some in the past, but found it very hard to focus for more than 5- 10 mins.  Need something more beginner friendly which you can follow consistently. 

Saw this trailer of a Netflix documentary : bikram - yogi, guru, predator.

He used to teach his copyrighted yoga to americans in hot 40 degrees environment and became a celebrity, lol.

Tried the 50 minute version today, was tough to do.

Is yoga good for low back issues ? 

Edited by GunnerY2J

This maybe a hot take but, does anyone else find most branded running shoes as not being much helpful? I have tried Nike Zoom, Air and Pegasus only Pegasus was comfortable and felt good for running.  Same for Adidas with Ultraboost, Cloudfoam etc, they are extremely soft but dont feel as good for running laps.

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

This maybe a hot take but, does anyone else find most branded running shoes as not being much helpful? I have tried Nike Zoom, Air and Pegasus only Pegasus was comfortable and felt good for running.  Same for Adidas with Ultraboost, Cloudfoam etc, they are extremely soft but dont feel as good for running laps.

Depends on what you're using them for. Ultra cushioned shoes are not good for running as they provide too much cushioning.

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Being a sneakerhead and having tried almost everything on the market, I can say that they do make a lot of difference.

But you have to understand the nuances of each shoe and what's it really made for.

Trying to keep it as brevise as I can, Pegasus is a running focused shoe in a sense that it provides a lot of feedback, you can feel the track and adapt to it quickly, dynamic force distribution through the feet, basically what a running shoe should do but you won't really prefer these for walking because of that feedback, that's where Ultraboost come in.

They try to eliminate as much of the feedback to reduce heel pain. Like you can walk for miles and still feel light in the legs.

You can jog in these but because of the lack of feedback, they might feel unresponsive.

So it's about finding the right fit. You can really give Asics a go for running otherwise Pegasus are good too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Strange. I always felt those memory foam based soles would be a relief while running. On the other hand, they are useless for heavy lifting, especially deadlift and Squats.

It's quite simple. For deadlifts and Squats applying force through your legs (feets) into the ground is the main thing. Hence, you want to cut out anything which will absorb that force or the normal reaction (feedback).

That's why shoes like Nike Metcon's/ Rebook's Nano feature no soft cushioning, it's hard so the force is directly transferred to the ground.

4 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

It's quite simple. For deadlifts and Squats applying force through your legs (feets) into the ground is the main thing. Hence, you want to cut out anything which will absorb that force or the normal reaction (feedback).

That's why shoes like Nike Metcon's/ Rebook's Nano feature no soft cushioning, it's hard so the force is directly transferred to the ground.

Yeah I'm aware of that for lifting. But I felt it to be strange that the cushioned shoes would not be useful for running.

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Yeah I'm aware of that for lifting. But I felt it to be strange that the cushioned shoes would not be useful for running.

YMMV. Even in cushioned shoes there's an energy loss in the pillow-like shoes and most professional runners avoid that for Marathon etc, for casual running they are pretty good. I'm a big big fan of wel-cushioned shoes personally.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Being a sneakerhead and having tried almost everything on the market, I can say that they do make a lot of difference.

But you have to understand the nuances of each shoe and what's it really made for.

Trying to keep it as brevise as I can, Pegasus is a running focused shoe in a sense that it provides a lot of feedback, you can feel the track and adapt to it quickly, dynamic force distribution through the feet, basically what a running shoe should do but you won't really prefer these for walking because of that feedback, that's where Ultraboost come in.

They try to eliminate as much of the feedback to reduce heel pain. Like you can walk for miles and still feel light in the legs.

You can jog in these but because of the lack of feedback, they might feel unresponsive.

So it's about finding the right fit. You can really give Asics a go for running otherwise Pegasus are good too.

I usually alternate between Zoom Winflo 4 and Zoom Span 2 most of the days. Winflo has the soft cushioning which I don't like but Zoom Span 2 feels balanced.

Which ASICS shoes should I look for? I have the Gel Kayano or Gel Nimbus ones but I don't like em much.

1 hour ago, cyberpunk said:

I usually alternate between Zoom Winflo 4 and Zoom Span 2 most of the days. Winflo has the soft cushioning which I don't like but Zoom Span 2 feels balanced.

Which ASICS shoes should I look for? I have the Gel Kayano or Gel Nimbus ones but I don't like em much.

For marathons/long run try Asics Glideride.

For everyday running Asics Nimbus 22.

For speedwork Asics DS Trainer 25.

Cumulus 25 has more cushioning so that's a personal preference.