Personal Training / Fitness Counseling thread

HundredProofSam

On 5/28/2021 at 12:53 AM, playstationdude said:

Yes it is. Buy it.

Very little motivation is lockdown 2, but gotta restart sometime-: :fear:

kaha se ? looking for Gym quality weights for reasonable time since a while but saw only spam ones on FB... These look decent..

25 minutes ago, Assassins Creed said:

kaha se ? looking for Gym quality weights for reasonable time since a while but saw only spam ones on FB... These look decent..

I have found a great seller in Delhi, used their equipment in the earlier gym. I don't think they'll be able to ship outside Delhi though.

Right now I am just working with bands, needs a lot of motivation, will and time but they get the job done.

I ordered this one back in April, expected delivery was June.. now they are saying July which is still fine..   Great indoor workout if you like HIIT spinning workouts.. will help my outdoor cycling as well in the long run.. There is also cheaper version now without the screen... those looking for indoor workout can give it a try..

https://tread.fit/

80 minute Leg workout today : very tiring but no soreness at all,
All exercises done slowly in full range and squeeze.

Difficult to train beyond failure holding weights or maybe weaker upper body fails before.
Bodyweight leg workouts with high reps and less rest get me way more sore and way earlier, 
so maybe should do those more or alternate them

or maybe not doing enough ?

These were done :

Goblet sqauts with dumbbell (max dumbbell in the gym is 30) 
12 reps - 20 kg 
10 reps - 25 kg
3 sets of 8 reps - 30 kg

Alternating walking lunges both forward and backward : 25 kg - 3 sets.

Step ups on bench with a lunge on the way down - 20 kg - 2 sets of 8 each leg. 

Bulgarian split squats  20 kg : 8-8 reps each leg 3 sets.

Hip thrusts : 30-60 kg : 3 sets : 12-10 reps.

Feet elevated (for more range) sumo sqauts : 30 kg - 10 reps - 3 sets.

Bridge hamstring curls with ball : 3 sets : 10 reps (this one actually has great focus on the hamstrings)

Jump squats from static sitting position : 10 - 3 sets.

Single leg sqauts : 8 rep each leg with finger support on wall though (can't come up without support)

Then leg press and leg extensions and calf raises.

Edited by GunnerY2J

My wife wants a cycle for her workout, will be used on the roads within our area only. Maybe 10-15 kms everyday at least to start with and even I might occasionally use the cycle around.

My wife is 5'3 and 65kgs, while I am 6'3 90kgs. We are looking at a budget of around ₹10-12k definitely a geared cycle as roads around are quite steep.

I don't mind buying a second hand cycle as well because not sure whether we will actually use it or will be just lying collecting dust.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, Root said:

My wife wants a cycle for her workout, will be used on the roads within our area only. Maybe 10-15 kms everyday at least to start with and even I might occasionally use the cycle around.

My wife is 5'3 and 65kgs, while I am 6'3 90kgs. We are looking at a budget of around ₹10-12k definitely a geared cycle as roads around are quite steep.

I don't mind buying a second hand cycle as well because not sure whether we will actually use it or will be just lying collecting dust.

You d have to buy two cycles considering the height difference.

But extend a bit and 14-16k look at brands like montra, firefox.

Maybe buy MTB since you might not be comfortable with thin tyres but hyrbids are better for long term.

Edited by GunnerY2J

3 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

You d have to buy two cycles considering the height difference.

But extend a bit and 14-16k look at brands like montra, firefox.

Which one would you suggest if only for my wife? I am okay to extend till 15k

3 hours ago, Root said:

Can't suggest anything specific.

Half not available these days and not sure of specific models in this range.

Only suggesting brands so check out firefox or btwin brand within 15k range.

Montra mtb starts from 16 last I checked,

Go for MTB I guess as thick tyres and easier to control for wife (although they are a tad more heavy)

MTB = mountain bike for rough terrain and sturdy but not good for long distance but upto 80-90 kms is fine.

Edited by GunnerY2J

4 hours ago, Root said:

Or just save money and buy hero sprint for 8-9k, 

Thick tyres and has gear option as well.

It's bar is lower as well so easier for beginners.

Have seen a few beginner, overweight mid age women as well do 50-60 kms on it.

Low maintenance as well and easily available.

You can upgrade later.

Edited by GunnerY2J

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 8:32 PM, GunnerY2J said:

Can't suggest anything specific.

Half not available these days and not sure of specific models in this range.

Only suggesting brands so check out firefox or btwin brand within 15k range.

Montra mtb starts from 16 last I checked,

Go for MTB I guess as thick tyres and easier to control for wife (although they are a tad more heavy)

MTB = mountain bike for rough terrain and sturdy but not good for long distance but upto 80-90 kms is fine.

Hey yesterday we visited couple of showrooms to checkout cycle unfortunately all the shops have some unheard brands at least for me - GeeKay, 91, Gang. Whats your view on these brands?

One shop had firefox but he said it starts from 22k+ also my wife liked Hero Compass and Hero Howler both are 26 size, front suspension, disc on both tiers and 21 gears.

Decathlon is closed in my area as they are in a mall and don't want to wait for it to reopen.

32 minutes ago, Root said:

Hey yesterday we visited couple of showrooms to checkout cycle unfortunately all the shops have some unheard brands at least for me - GeeKay, 91, Gang. Whats your view on these brands?

One shop had firefox but he said it starts from 22k+ also my wife liked Hero Compass and Hero Howler both are 26 size, front suspension, disc on both tiers and 21 gears.

Decathlon is closed in my area as they are in a mall and don't want to wait for it to reopen.

The lower priced firefox must not be available with that shop.

But hero is worth it at the price.

Don't know about other brands.

39 minutes ago, Root said:

Btwin (Decathlon) is decent in that range so if possible visit them. Firefox is also pretty decent and maybe these days the lower end models are not for sale. Hero should be decent for short rides make sure your wife rides it and size is not and issue. 

This (Decathalon) is unisex and should be a good choice for around 10k - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/mountain-bikes/rockrider-st-30-unisex-trail-urban-riding-cycle-pale-mint-white?id=8641588&type=p

24 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Btwin (Decathlon) is decent in that range so if possible visit them. Firefox is also pretty decent and maybe these days the lower end models are not for sale. Hero should be decent for short rides make sure your wife rides it and size is not and issue. 

This (Decathalon) is unisex and should be a good choice for around 10k - https://www.decathlon.in/p/8641588/mountain-bikes/rockrider-st-30-unisex-trail-urban-riding-cycle-pale-mint-white?id=8641588&type=p

I will check other stores as well for firefox. After visiting shops I have increased my budget to 15k or > than 20k to get the best for the buck.

Also most of the shops were asking her to get MTB is it required? though she is going to be ridding only on roads in my neighborhood. 

If shops are not selling bicycles, is there any precaution I need to take before buying online? @GunnerY2J

53 minutes ago, Root said:

I will check other stores as well for firefox. After visiting shops I have increased my budget to 15k or > than 20k to get the best for the buck.

Also most of the shops were asking her to get MTB is it required? though she is going to be ridding only on roads in my neighborhood. 

If shops are not selling bicycles, is there any precaution I need to take before buying online? @GunnerY2J

MTB they are suggesting because of thick tyres and better balance and stability and maybe better shock ups as well.

If she is not very overweight and has decent balance on cycle, hybrid way better for long term and longer distance as they are lighter and take comparitively less effort to cycle.

Not sure if online would be available of good brands and some brands send the cycle in parts, so you have to assemble it which can cost 500-1000 rs.

Edited by GunnerY2J

53 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

MTB they are suggesting because of thick tyres and better balance and stability and maybe better shock ups as well.

If she is not very overweight and has decent balance on cycle, hybrid way better for long term and longer distance as they are lighter and take comparitively less effort to cycle.

Not sure if online would be available of good brands and some brands send the cycle in parts, so you have to assemble it which can cost 500-1000 rs.

She is definitely not overweight but I am so to be on safer side I will go with MTB, things I am looking for in a cycle -

• Cost : ~15-20k
  • Front shockabs
  • Disc brakes
  • Size : 26in
  • Shimano gear - 21
  • Thicker tires (MTB)
  • Alloy frame

8 minutes ago, Root said:

She is definitely not overweight but I am so to be on safer side I will go with MTB, things I am looking for in a cycle -

• Cost : ~15-20k
  • Front shockabs
  • Disc brakes
  • Size : 26in
  • Shimano gear - 21
  • Thicker tires (MTB)
  • Alloy frame

Good that you have requirements set.

Disc brakes are overrated though.

Now buy any from only known brands : firefox, suncross is also good.

Montra is good but starts from 23.

Don't go for Chinese/Sri lankan etc brands.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Good that you have requirements set.

Disc brakes are overrated though.

Now buy any from only known brands : firefox, suncross is also good.

Montra is good but starts from 23.

Don't go for Chinese/Sri lankan etc brands.

Known brands would be - Hero, Herculus, Firefox, Montra, Suncross, BTwin

• 2 weeks later...

Exercising when it rains on top of the terrace tank to feel better has heavily backfired.

Terribly sick : fever, feeling cold, high body ache, headache and feeling a bit like puking.

Not doing that again intentionally ?

I hope it's not dengue again.

Edited by GunnerY2J

49 minutes ago, GunnerY2J said:

Exercising when it rains on top of the terrace tank to feel better has heavily backfired.

Terribly sick : fever, feeling cold, high body ache, headache and feeling a bit like puking.

Not doing that again intentionally ?

I hope it's not dengue again.

look for rashes on body, if none, then don't worry!

Workout in rain looks good only in movies like Bhag Milkha Bhag. So don't attempt, not a good idea.